Down Outerwear

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:34 PM

I have the opportunity to purchase some insulated Walls 10X brand bibs and a jacket at nearly half price. Here is what they look like...
Walls Water-Pruf Down Bibs
Walls Water-Pruf Down Jacket

So, my question is, how is down insulation for a hunting garment? I've had down parkas for daily wear before and they were always very warm. But, I don't know what to make of it for a hunting garment. (It seems all I ever see is Thinsulate and Hollofil type insulation.)

Any input?

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:45 PM

How bulky is it? I have had down jackets over the years, and they tended to be more bulky than other material. Also, I noticed that down seems to settle and compact. Although the garments are advertised as water-proof, how does one wash em. Wet down insulates as well as wet newspaper. However, at the price you said you could get em for, its a cheap hunting outfit. I'd get it and try it out anyway

#3 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

It will be warm but should be light and a good layer on a colder hunt and a solid garment in normal fall conditions here in the west but maybe too warm for the south. IMO

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#4 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:34 PM

I've never been a big fan of down type clothing, especially for hunting.

The cold doesn't really bother me, it is the wind that gets to me the most. I try to keep my outerwear, and all my clothing, as thin/compact as possible. That is especially true for bow hunting. I've had great luck with wind stopper/blocker type clothing.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

I have and use a down vest. It is thicker than a thinsulate garment but nothing beats it for warmth especially on stand in PA deer season on top of a mountain when you can look down and see the tears frozen on your jacket. Being old school I usually hunt those times in Woolrich yep you got it plaid.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:00 PM

Just an update...

I ended up ordering the bibs. Obviously, I'll have to actually use them in the field to say a whole lot. But, I am pleased with the quality at first glance. They are also extremely warm! They do seem to run at least a size big. (I bought extra large because I figured I would need the room to go over other garments. But, to my surprise, a large would have provided all the room I needed and then some.)

Just as an FYI, I bought these at RanchWearUnlimited.com. I don't think you will find better prices anywhere and the customer service is top notch. (The first pair I ordered were in a size that was out of stock and they gave me 10% off on a different size because they felt it was their mistake for not updating their online inventory list rapidly enough. This was on top of an already ridiculously low price!) Their shipping rates are very fair as well. (How does free on any order over $75 and something like $7 to $8 if under that price sound?)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users