Musk Ox Hunt

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

Congrats guys. I know ya'll had a blast. As has already been said......MORE PICTURES and THE FULL STORY!!!! HEHEHEHE

Will, man I gotta make it back out to CO to see you again.... maybe I'll be able to make it to a future Elkatraz hunt..... Next time I think I'll drive.... Might be nice to enjoy the countryside along the way.
Semper Fi

#17 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

Congratulations guys! Neat hunt and I am quite envious

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#18 swamphntr

swamphntr

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Photography

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:28 AM

Congrats looks like a great time. Looks like you had mild weather to hunt in to boot.

#19 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

The weather is deceiving...it was below freezing, but easily tolerable. The wind is insane. 60-70 mph coming right off the Arctic Ocean.....quite chilly. I am sure it was much better than a March/April hunt where it is -40 though...lol.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#20 swamphntr

swamphntr

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Photography

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

Hey in that second trophy shot are those more musk ox in the distance behind you?

#21 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:10 PM

Congratulations to both of you. Looks like you had a great time and a wonderful hunt. Looks like you were on top of the world guess that you were pretty close.

#22 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

Ok Ladies and Gents,

Sorry for the delay. I've never used this website to host writings-hope it works.

Here's a link to our recent trip. It was certainly filled with ups and downs. Enjoy!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19855334/m...ria-Island-NWT

And forgive me if I sound like I'm whining. I was truly blessed to have good friends and times on this adventure. I'll make up for the lost photos opts when Sean takes me polar bear hunting (he's getting his PHD ya know)!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#23 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

WOW them critters are tough....... If I ever get the chance to hunt them I think I'll see about getting an 80#+ bow and outfit it with the heaviest arrow I can manage... Maybe some X-cutters..... with 150grain broadheads? Sounds like the hunt was fun, all be it short.... Sounds like the guides interest was in getting you on the animal so you could make a kill, and then they were done with you.
Semper Fi

#24 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:06 PM

Gentlemen!!-well done!!! Absolutely an unforgettable experience! Sounds like the guides were in lazy mode....maybe they just picked up baddd customer service skills while working at the local Wal-martPosted Image . Will-can't wait to hear about it! Once again-grats !

#25 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:21 PM

Well you guys did end up succeeding, which is a plus. It sure could have been worse than that. If you hadn't succeeded because the weather had turned on you (extremely possible in the artic!). Pissing away a morning of good weather would really suck. Also you could have been stranded there for longer than you planned because of weather (also another very real possibility up there).

You guys did good and I'm glad you're back safe.
Posted Image

#26 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

Great story and picture Huck thanks!Posted Image

#27 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:20 AM

Great story Huck. I sent a few pics to your e-mail, and you have a CD on its way to you. I too was slightly disappointed in the effort put forth by the guides. Huck's lines about me strangling someone was quite accurate. We woke up at dawn.....tried to ask when we would start hunting.........drank some coffee...........and more coffee...then finally got moving. They didn't get us out hunting until after noon. It was extremely frustrating and I was close to coming unglued. I was disheartened to travel that far with that pricetag only to hunt for a day and hang out in a tent for 2 days. Don't get me wrong, the hunt itself was exceptional, but there was much left to desire. However, I would recommend hunting musk ox to anyone! They are one of the toughest animals I have ever had the priveledge of flinging carbon at. Believe me Huck, if I ever have the means, you and I will be on the first flight North for polar bear. Thank you friend.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff

#28 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:21 AM

And to swamphntr....yep, those are musk ox in the background of my pic. I picked the biggest bull out of a herd of 14 and that is part of that same herd after they scattered.

Sean Whipple
PSE staff

#29 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

Congrats Will & Sean !
I can sure understand your frustration at being slighted after such an investment of time & money. The next adventure North will be better I'm certain....but again...HUGE CONGRATS MEN !!!Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:41 PM

Thank all, thanks Phil. I'm finding peace as the days pass. Shifting my attention to elk hunting helps matters also.

Marty, missed you there on this one.

Scoobie, when ya gettin your arse back here?

Ton, trade you a story for a cake. I'll get the better of that deal.

And for those that have been there done that, let me give you a 45/48 update. Cousin Randy dumped a 5x5 on Sept. 1st. Randy's son (Christopher) dropped a 6x6 last night. Cousin Bill is still trying to find the right spot. Sister Gina put off elk for Mt.Goat. She brought the goat hunt to an end by kilvesting a nanny goat posing as a billy. She hard at bullwacking now. I hit the elk woods for the first time this past Saturday. I had a bull bust out in front of me-never had a shot. He saw me before I saw him. Wish some of you were here to hunt....
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users