4 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:05 PM

I was watching Xcalibers Deer City today and the president of Xcaliber bows brought up some very interesting points that I didn't know. He said that when firing a regular verticle bow that aprox. 15% of the foot pounds, when you release your arrow, is lost in the limbs of the bow. Major reason for bow noise. About 85 %, or more, of foot pounds is going into your arrow. He went on to say that with an XBow it's much more drastic. Say you have a 100lb draw. When fired between 35 and 40 % of the foot pounds is obsorbed by the limbs. He says that is why XBows are so noisy. Makes sense but stop and think about that a minute. That means that out of your 100 lb draw that only 60 to 65 lbs is going into your arrow. That goes a long way towards proving what I've long been saying. People think because of the heavy draw weights of XBows that they'll launch your arrow great distances. Actually a 65 lb or 70 lb compound will launch an arrow farther, and with more down range energy, than a 150 lb XBow. The effective range of your average XBow is 40 yards. I can hit out to 50 but the arrow has lost a heck of a lot of punch by then and I just won't take those shots. Like any weapon, an XBow has both it's good points and bad. The trick is to work around the bad and take the most advatage of the good that you can.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:44 PM

I just watched the same program a few minutes ago. I will readily agree that the arrow is fast out of the blocks but is also much shorter than one shot from a vertical bow and thus looses energy very quickly. Being a newcomer to this sport I have a lot to learn and not much in the way of shows like that to learn from. It is pretty much like when I took up archery. No one else hunted with them so it was seat of the pants. At least way back then there were many books on the subject to get started. Yes television was invented then but we did not have one and even if we did there were no outdoors shows. Al Gore did not invent the internet yet so was out of luck there too. Infact I am not sure that computors were even invented.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

I just watched the same program a few minutes ago. I will readily agree that the arrow is fast out of the blocks but is also much shorter than one shot from a vertical bow and thus looses energy very quickly. Being a newcomer to this sport I have a lot to learn and not much in the way of shows like that to learn from. It is pretty much like when I took up archery. No one else hunted with them so it was seat of the pants. At least way back then there were many books on the subject to get started. Yes television was invented then but we did not have one and even if we did there were no outdoors shows. Al Gore did not invent the internet yet so was out of luck there too. Infact I am not sure that computors were even invented.

Well bud, ya know that if you have any questions I'll do my best to give ya good answers. If not me one of these other folks will. For myself I'm kinda tickled to be sharing the exsperience with you. You know, just in case we should ever run short of other things to talk about.Posted Image Really bud, you know you are one of my very favorite people to talk hunting with. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 03 September 2009 - 06:54 PM.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:11 PM

Likewise my friend. I do have a question or two about the length of fletching I can get away with. Right now I am using about 4 inch fletch and wonder if I could get by with shorter fletch. Those 4 inch fletch look huge on my cute little 17 inch arrows.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

Likewise my friend. I do have a question or two about the length of fletching I can get away with. Right now I am using about 4 inch fletch and wonder if I could get by with shorter fletch. Those 4 inch fletch look huge on my cute little 17 inch arrows.

Well bud, I've got 6" fletching on mine. Posted Image I'm shooting a 23" arrow though. Actually I think you probably could go with smaller fletching with good results. I saw a show the other day and the fellow was talking about these new small fletching being put out these days. He said the key to their keeping accuracy in tune is their stiffness. Heck, if nothing else try them on a single arrow on a target and see for yourself how well they do, or don't work. Personally, I like the bigger brighter colored fletching. You've seen where I hunt and the larger brighter colored ones help me track and find my arrows much easier. Jason uses Luminaocks, I spell that right? They now make them for aluminum and XBow arrows too but dang they are pricy. I may try them though. I think you'll probably notice the same problem as me. My XBow shoots so fast it's hard to see the arrow fly at short ranges! Thus hard to tell where you hit a deer.

Edited by Spirithawk, 03 September 2009 - 07:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users