• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

I once owned a kel-tec p-32 an off duty gun when I was a cop. The Cheif at first refused to allow anything smaller than a .380 but told me if I could qualify with it then I could carry it. The thing is, that gun must have been made for me. I have pretty big hands, my thumb stuck out past the muzzle and got fouled up from shooting, but everything locked in perfect. It was like pointing your fingers at the target and saying "bang" to make holes. Most comfortable thing in the world to carry. I could clip it to my boxers, put on a wife-beater and it disappeared.
But, there was and apparently still is a problem with the p-32. I would always carry it loaded with a round in the chamber (who carries a gun any other way?) and I made sure to carry it to the range like anywhere else. I would put up a target and draw and shoot just as if I was in a gunfight. Click, was what I got on many occasions. I thought the steel primers on the PD's Speer ammo was too much, so I switched to ammo with brass primers. That helped a little but I still had light strikes on the first attempt after a long carry. Obviously, the firing pin spring which is half cocked or something on this somewhat DAO gun fatigues when used in this fashion. I tried to talk to the folks at kel-tec about it and was very dissappointed in their liberal, "we don't recommend that you ever carry a loaded gun with a round in the chamber". And, no, they have not improved the spring on newer models and, no, they will not recommend any action to fix it because that would void the warranty. It was almost like they were saying,"we did that on purpose to make sure you don't carry our gun for self defense". I sold it for $200 to some guy that thought it was neat and told me he didn't want to carry it, just play around.
So, getting to my point in all this, I noticed that Ruger ripped off the kel-tec design in their .380 LCP. I don't believe they would sell a gun that isn't workable, serviceable and yes, carryable. But, I can not find enough reviews to make me feel real comfortable yet. If anyone has experienced the kel-tec problem and found a true fix for it, or tried the Ruger I would really like to know. My wife wants a gun real bad, but she is tiny. Even a baby Glock on an ankle holster would be impractical for her. These two guns would allow her good tactics by carrying in the waistband of pants, skirt, pajamas, whatever. We considered a small revolver for reliability, but (married guys will understand this irrational statement) she doesn't like revolvers and I agree that a revolver as small as these guns would be very uncomfortable/difficult to shoot well.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

Take a hard look at the Springfield Armory XD Compacts. My son is a Certified Executive Bodygaurd and carries one in a 9mm as his hide out and back up to his XD .45. Not sure how you'll like the size but I can gold bar garauntee you that you won't find a more reliable weapon. Jason was trained by the very fellow that invented the Swat Team. He still trains Swat Teams, CIA, Secret Service, Military Police and FBI. He could carry any weapon made but an XD is the only sidearm that man will carry. He's not shy about telling you why either and it's coming from a man who trusts every second of his life to his sidearm.. Jason fired 2,000 rounds through his .45 in just two days of training and without a single jam. Every gun there that wasn't an XD, and I'm talking some very high dollar hand guns, did jam. Every single one....and jammed often!

Edited by Spirithawk, 04 September 2009 - 03:18 PM.

#3 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:31 PM

Take a hard look at the Springfield Armory XD Compacts. My son is a Certified Executive Bodygaurd and carries one in a 9mm as his hide out and back up to his XD .45. Not sure how you'll like the size but I can gold bar garauntee you that you won't find a more reliable weapon. Jason was trained by the very fellow that invented the Swat Team. He still trains Swat Teams, CIA, Secret Service, Military Police and FBI. He could carry any weapon made but an XD is the only sidearm that man will carry. He's not shy about telling you why either and it's coming from a man who trusts every second of his life to his sidearm.. Jason fired 2,000 rounds through his .45 in just two days of training and without a single jam. Every gun there that wasn't an XD, and I'm talking some very high dollar hand guns, did jam. Every single one....and jammed often!

I went ahead and bought the Ruger. Figured it would be a learning experience if nothing else. I am a loyal Glock man myself. I believe every word you say about the XD but the first auto I ever shot was a 1st gen Glock 17. I put at least 2000 rds. through it during my police academy without a single malfunction (that we did not intentionally cause for training sake). I bought a newer G17 for service and put near 1000 rds. through it with the same perfect performance. However, I know how a baby Glock conceals and I know that my wife would not always carry it if she had to wear baggy cloths to hide it. There shouldn't be compromises in safety, but I would rather she have a gun she will take everywhere than one she selects to carry depending on the weather. That's why I'm pretty well set on the kel-tec or Ruger LPC. As I mentioned, I bought the LPC today and put 50 rds through it. My dad, a revolver guy, shot six and had a misfeed because he limp-wristed the first shot. I shot it fast, slow and single handed with no malfunctions. My wife did better than me with my old P-32 and I think she will learn to appreciate the extra .380 recoil for what does to an attacker. I think I will polish some of the moving parts and smooth some edges but the factory finish on the Ruger is much better than the kel-tec I had before. The hardest thing to take about it without some complaint is the freakishly long trigger pull. If you see reviews about this gun anywhere, I'm sure someone else (especially Glock people) will say something about it. And if you try to use the tip of your finger to pull it, the recoil does something quick and mean to it. I just looked up and noticed in your reply that you said your son fired 2000 rds of .45 with no malf. It's no surprise for a 9mm to never jam, but a .45 is pretty impressive. Or your son just holds onto the thing like a real man. I don't like .45s for my own reasons, but I have noticed that they get a bad rep. for jams because some people can't hang on for the ride : ). Just for fun, I'll say that I prefer 9mm for velocity and penetration. In some of my NLP senarios, I considered shooting through windows, doors, walls, and car bodies. Even though I have no experiece to back it up, it seems reasonable to me that a smaller faster round has a better chance of passing through and still penetrate a skull. Also, speed and capacity. Me and my training Sgt., who carried a S&W 1911, used to argue 3 rds of .45 or 5 rds. of 9mm fired in the same amount of time. Leaving 6 rds in the .45 and 13 rds in the 9mm. Balistics or tactics blah, blah, blah.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:01 PM

Jason was trained to draw and fire tapping two to the chest, one to the head at an impressive 40 yards and with either hand in under 2 seconds. We were recently at a gun show where the U.S. Army had a training simulater set up. The two soldiers running it said the Army ops for it to save money on ammo. You had the choice of firing an M-16 or a .45. Jason opted for the .45. Just for fun the Army had a program where prairy dogs popped up at random at various ranges. Jason ran through the full three phases of the simulator, firing as fast as he could pull the trigger, and never missed a shot. He often got two shots into the prairy dog before it could even drop. Don't mean to brag but he sure had a crowd gathered watching. Posted Image The two soldiers were in awe. Jason just handed the pistol back to them, grinned and said coooollllll. Just to give you an idea how intense his training was he was sprayed in the eyes with a seriouse graid pepper spray, above what the police use, then he had to run 3 laps around a track, find his .45 somewhere on the ground, quickly tap 2 to the chest one to the head of a target, holster his weapon and then take a guy down by hand and cuff him all before he was allowed to wash his eyes out. He told me he'd rather be shot than do that again. He finished top in his class and the guy that taught him was so impressed with Jason's skills that he had a custom leather holster and spare clip holder with the APT logo made for Jason as a present. Jason's certified in handgun tactics, shotgun and longarms tactics, surveilence tactics, hand weapons tactics, night and day tactics,chemical tactics, moving vehicle tactics, and a bunch I'm probably forgetting. All to be certified as an Executive Body Guard. He's even licensed to own an armoured vehicle. In case you haven't figured it out yet, yep I'm mighty proud of him. I think you two would really hit it off. He also heads a security firm here in Branson now. At the beginning of the firearms training the instructer told everyone there that their weapons would jam. He held up Jason's XD in one hand, his own in the other and said these won't. The man knew his guns, he was 100% right. I think Jason told me that the guy's second choice would have been a Glock though. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 04 September 2009 - 08:16 PM.

#5 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:35 PM

I would rather be kicked in the nuts than go through OC again. I had Fox labs 5.3 million SCU, don't know how that compares to army stuff, but getting shot might not be so bad. It is always good to hear that someone is applying their natural ability for the good of the human race. It's even better when that ability means playing with cool stuff all the time. Maybe someday I'll spend some time on a range with a rental XD, I don't want to go through life having never tried the best.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

I just bought my son's derringer off him. A Cobra 9mm. He in turn bought a Kel Tek 32, the one with the blue frame and hardened chrome slide. He bought it as a back up to his XD .45 and as a general carry along when off duty. I'll let you know how it performs. He liked it because of it being so concealable. He has lightning quick reflexes and I'm betting he could carry it without one chambered, yet chamber a round on the draw faster than it takes to think about it. Not the perfect scenario but dang he is scary fast. Might solve the problem at least for him anyways. It's good to know about that spring and he'll sure have to check it out. Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users