Ihea / Ibep Certified

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

Who here has taken an IBEP (International Bowhunter Education Program) or state equivalent bowhunter education course?
(Here is Pennsylvania's... Click Here)

Interestingly enough, I am approaching my 20th year of bowhunting in PA, I have also hunted other states over the years, and yet I've never taken the course. I happened to see where they are holding a course just a short drive from my house, at a club I am a member of, and decided to take it. It's mostly just for grins at this point (and on the off chance I might ever get to hunt a state where it's required). All told it sounds like fun. (I hope they don't mind me sitting in a folding stool while we're outside. :doh2: :lol: )

So, let's hear it. Who is certified or scheduled to take the course soon?

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors!

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:48 AM

I've been debating on it. Like you say, someday I might get to hunt another state. It's not required in Texas, they kind of include a little bowhunting and black powder in with the general hunter's education here. Would be neat to see what all they actually cover in bowhunter safety though. Good luck to ya on the test. Posted Image
BrandonT

#3 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

I do have my Bow Hunter Education Certificate for Wisconsin. Taking a bow hunter education course isn't required for Wisconsin. But like both of you said, I wanted to take the course so I could hunt places that require it if I ever got the opportunity.

You cannot take just the bow hunter education course in Wisconsin. You have to take both hunter safety and bow hunter education. I took hunter safety quite a few years ago, but didn't take the bow hunter class. So a few years ago I took the hunter safety class again and also too the bow hunter education course.

#4 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

here in SD you have to have the class to hunt elk. I will probable take the next instructors class offered here

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:53 AM

Colorado requires a Hunter's safety certification if you are born after 1949 (I'm not that old - close though) and I have planned to hunt in Colorado since Elkatraz 1 or 2. I took the one offered here in Ohio, they roll all the weapon safety into one course here. I had to show it last month to buy my tag for Pronghorn hunting. In Ohio they will let you take the exam without the classroom time to test out. Jeremiah you might want to look into that as an alternative.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

Got 'er done! I'm glad I did it too. It's a great program. I think even a veteran ends up taking something away from this. As long as folks don't mind I sit once in a while I plan to apply to become an instructor.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#7 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

I think even a veteran ends up taking something away from this.

That is a great point. The class I took is where I got my "broadhead test" from. They showed how they use rubber bands to test the sharpness of a broadhead. That is the method I've been using ever since.

Edited by Chrud, 22 September 2009 - 05:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users