4 replies to this topic

#1 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

A hand gun purchase. I am looking at Taurus 45 colt/410 judge revolver. It looks like it would be a good piece for in the woods as well as protection. Any thoughts?

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

I have had a 45/410 barrel for my contender for many years. Mine has a 10 inch barrel and a screw in choke for shooting 410 shells. The effective pattern is only about 15 yds or so for shooting shotguns. I have never shot 45s out of it so do not know what it shoots like. I feel that even my 10 inch barrel is marginal in the woods. A 45/410 with as short a barrel as the Judge would not in my estimation be very effective at any distance more than 5 or 10 feet. I could be wrong about this but have seen the judge shot at only a few feet and the pattern was pretty big but put all the pellets in a sillouette target.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:55 PM

Awesome self defense carry pistol as well as "snake repellent". You just won't be shooting much beyond up close and personal with it.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

I agree with Jerimiah. I know fellows who own Judge's. Great for a close up and personal defense weapon.....but that's it! That's what it was designed for. As for a handgun that will fit both your needs I guess it depends on what you mean by personal defense? Just in the home or a carry-along at all times? For myself, I carry a simple .22 convertible single action in the woods, 6 1/2" barrel. I have a pouch on the gunbelt carrying the extra .22 cylinder and a slip on cartidge holder for extra shells for it. The .22 mag cyl. I carry in the gun and I've a belt full of shells for it. Now it's not gonna stop any bears but they are few and far between here. It will handle rabid critters, and snakes and such, and is very accurate and cheap to shoot. It will do anything I need it too in the woods. By my bed I have a laser sighted 9mm auto! Taurus makes awesome guns. If I were you I'd look at one of the smaller framed .357's. Just remember, barrel length is important if you plan on having to shoot any distance. Also take into account that what is great for one person may not be for you. The size of your hand and how the grips fit it are important. Things like recoil, and weight should be considered as well as what kind of sights it has. I've seen many handguns I really liked that felt RIGHT in my hand, but in Jason's hand, they were awkward and felt terrible. Simply because I have large hands, he don't. If you have any gun shows in your area then by all means go. There you'd be able to handle a wide variety of weapons, get some good advice and have a lot of fun to boot. Buy wisely, don't let looks persuade you, be sure it will fit and do all the things you need and want it to do. Take all these things into consideration and I'm sure that whatever you do buy you'll be happy with. Posted Image

Oh, one more piece of advice. Check out Gunbroker.com and just look over the wide range of handguns they have. You just might see something you like and hadn't thought about, plus you'll get a really good idea of values of both used and new firearms.

Edited by Spirithawk, 06 September 2009 - 09:57 AM.

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:43 AM

Aside note: I would be sure a meet my State's definition of a legal hunting hand gun. I thought I knew what Ohio's were for deer hunting when I read your post especially the size caliber and barrel length but I was wrong on the barrel length part. I thought it was 7" or longer. 5" is not very long. LOL

I copied Ohio regs. for the others.

Gun Season and Youth Deer Gun Season: 10 gauge or smaller shotgun using one ball or one rifled slug per barrel (rifled shotgun barrels are permitted when using shotgun slug ammunition); or muzzleloading rifle .38 caliber or larger; or handgun with 5-in. minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger, or longbow, crossbow (draw weight limitations same as for Archery Season). Shotguns cannot be capable of holding more than three shells.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users