11 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

Just wondering what brand, and type, of grunt tube you all use? I've got a few. I like the H. S. True Talker but it's rather big. I think it produces some of the most realistic tones of any call made though. I also have one made by Remington. It is an all rubber call too and at only 5 3/4" long it's a handy size when bow hunting. I like that because it doesn't get in the way as much as the bigger calls when bow hunting. It doesn't make a mature buck grunt that well though, least I don't think so, just too tinny sounding. Makes excellent young buck, doe and fawn calls though. Just for kicks, I was at Wally World browsing the hunting section today and thus felt the need to buy something. Amazing how that urge always somehow comes over me when I'm looking at hunting stuff. Go figure. Posted Image Sooooo, I bought the new Flextone Natural Grunter. It seems to make a pretty versatile range of calls that can be varied greatly as to tone and volume. I really like that in a grunt call, why I like the True Talker so much. The Flextone is much smaller though, and I like that. Here's why......I once sent the True Talker flying halfway accross a food plot when I didn't realise it had dangled down in front of my crossbow's string. I pulled the trigger and it ripped that call right off my neck, in none too gentle a mannor, and sent it flying Posted Image , a mistake I don't particularly care to repeat! Posted Image It was brand new and Jason just turned to me, grinned and said, " Dang dad, if you didn't like that new call you coulda just gave it to me!" Posted Image I really do believe that the flexible rubber tubes are the way to go. Being so versatile at being able to vary the tone and volume, I would think, could make all the differance in whether a deer pays you any mind or just heads in another direction. Soooo, what's you alls thoughts on grunt tubes? Inquiring minds, errrr well at least a bored one anyways, want's to know. Posted Image

#2 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

I've been really happy with my HS True Talker. I don't wear it around my neck, so the size isn't a big deal. The True Talker was the first grunt tube I purchased and is still my favorite.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

The H.S. True Talker is still probably my favorite all around call.

I hate to admit it, but I also carry a M.A.D. Buck Growl call once late October hits as well. Not for the growl aspect at all, but because that call makes one of the best "from the gut" dominant grunts I've ever heard.

I would really like to get my hands on an Extinguisher call to try out this fall.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

I have an HS quad grunter but would not bother to buy one these days. You have to pull it apart and adjust the rubber band around the reed to change the tone. I did have an extinguisher that worked very well. Jere you can have it if you can find it as I lost it somewhere up on the ridge behind my house. Ireally liked that call but is a bit complicated to disassemble for cleaning. Mine did not have a lanyard and I had it in a pocket and it fell out. Eric has a can call that seems to work real well too.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

Me and Jason both carry the can doe in estrus bleat calls. They have worked for us on many occasions and we make it a point to always carry them with us. I like to combine the canned bleat with a tending buck grunt. Works magic at times. Posted Image

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:46 AM

I have tried a bunch but the most recent one I tried last season worked great, the deer extinguisher by Illusion calls. It will make all the sounds like grunts, growls, groans, bleats and bawls with in seconds. I used it last season and called does and bucks even during gun season when the herd is running none stop. Illusion Systems has a video and a sound bit on the site and plus you get a small dvd to help you use it when you buy the call.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:44 AM

Knight & Hales EZ Grunter Plus. Works in all weather conditions

#8 dougk

dougk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

I bought to from Kampp Outdoor Products on the web at www.kampoutdoors.com , they have a green acrylic standard grunt with an adjustable o-ring on the reed, they have a acyrlic bleat call with the same adjustable reed for doe and fawn, and they also have a really small hands free grunt call, it has a exposed reed, its about 3" long you can hold it in your mouth while having your gun or bow up, what nice is the hunter inhales, instead of exhale, so I don`t get moisture to frzze it up. The worst point is its small compact on tube on it so its not real loud, but in most cases I think we make to much noise anyway.

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:04 AM

Update: I did end up with an Illusion Systems Extinguisher call. Personally, I would like to see it have the ability to achieve a little more volume. The other notable thing is that the fawn bleat does not go as high in pitch as many other calls. However, from what I've actually heard, it seems to sound closer to the real thing than most others. So, that's a positive in my book.

All told, it sounds quite good and does just as much as my True Talker. The Modislide adjuster is a lot nicer than the rubber band system that the True Talker uses though, in my opinion. To me, what you may lose in "feel" of adjustment is negated by having a much more repeatable tonal adjustment.

Next up I plan to purchase a Flextone Buck Collector. I'm a bit concerned with how the call is being marketed. (Just makes me think it'll be more hype than real.) But, I've owned Flextone calls in the past and have always liked them. So, we'll see. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#10 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

I have a True Talker. It's a great call for sure..
-Eric

#11 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

Knight & Hales EZ Grunter Plus. Works in all weather conditions

Ditto !
Was forunate enough to attend a Knight & Hale seminar when I lived in Western PA and learned a weatlh of info that night. I've used this call for for many years. Best year ever I called in (I believe it was 97) 14 different buck into bow range....all small guys but what an exciting fall. I haven't had much sucess with "The Can" yet but I'm ready to start experimenting more.
Posted Image

#12 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

There are 3 "cans" The Origional, which managed to get me almost ran over by a yearling doe about 3 years ago......The BIG can which I have no experience with, and the lil' can which my brother has and probably doesn't have enough use of to make an evaluation.... LOL I like my origional can, I used it this morning and called in a deer, unfortunately brush was obscuring my view of the head, so I couldn't honestly say what it was. I also have a snort wheeze device that if spotted and it's handy i will use to return the sentiment when a doe busts me..I have a grunt call by Lohman that looks like something you would call an elk with or something.... and a few more that I don't remember what they are off hand...
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users