• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

It's really different. It's a liner-lock folder that can slide into ULU mode.
Posted Image

Look at the "S" in "Sharp" I shaved up a section so thin on a piece of printer paper it didn't get below the depth the ink soaked to! Yes it's crazy sharp!

Posted Image

This is closed.

Posted Image

This is "ULU" mode. (Great for chopping and fleshing.)

Posted Image

I'm really looking forward to using this knife a lot, in both the field and the kitchen.
Posted Image

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:18 PM

Leo sweet knife, congrats buddy. Hmmm if I get a deer this year I might have to invite you down to help me clean it so you can get some extra time in with that knife ;) LOL On second thought... it would probably be ruined by the time you got here LOL
Semper Fi

#3 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:49 AM

Congrats Leo, now "THAT" is a Knife!
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:47 AM

That's a different design and looks real practical. Great gift. Personally nothing is better than a very sharp knife.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

Nice buddy!

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#6 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

OH YA! Ain't nothin' like a new toy to perk a body's spirits! Posted Image

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:48 PM

OH YA! Ain't nothin' like a new toy to perk a body's spirits! Posted Image

Geoff / TBow

You got that right Geoff!

The out of the box sharpness of this thing is really blowing me away. The piece of paper I shaved without breaking through measured 0.001" with my micrometer. My micrometer is capable of reading down to 0.0005". The thickness of the shaving will not even register on the micrometer. If it was over 0.00025 it would round up to 0.0005". The shaving thickness repeatedly reads ZERO! That means the thickness of the shaving is less than 0.00025" !!! A human hair is about 0.004". So this knife theoretically is literally sharp enough to split a hair. More than once!
Posted Image

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:46 PM

Great looking tool. Never seen one like that. I used to have a schrade pocket knife that was wicked sharp too. It would do anything I ever asked it to. Then I lost it. I felt so bad I designated the day I lost it as a memorial day. Seriously a knife that is not sharp is just not a knife. Thanks for sharing.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:27 PM

Great looking tool. Never seen one like that. I used to have a schrade pocket knife that was wicked sharp too. It would do anything I ever asked it to. Then I lost it. I felt so bad I designated the day I lost it as a memorial day. Seriously a knife that is not sharp is just not a knife. Thanks for sharing.

Man I feel your loss on that one. Schrade is unfortunately no more :( You can still find a few on Ebay. I have a Schrade sheath knife stainless steel blade made in Ireland. I still use it frequently and it is still one of the sharpest knives I own.

The Blade-Tech Ulu goes for between $40 and $50. That's about the same as a good Buck or Gerber. So it is competitively priced. The Blade Tech Ulu is a very versatile and extremely sharp. It's an AUS 8 stainless blade which should take resharpening very well.

If you're looking for a replacement for that Schrade I suggest you take a look at Spyderco's Dragonfly knife. That's the other birthday knife I got this year. It's the stainless model with the VG-10 blade. I just got it yesterday. It's easily as sharp and may even be sharper than the Blade-Tech Ulu. The Spyderco Dragonfly is gonna be in my pocket everyday from now on. Two other everyday carry knives that have got my attention lately are Blade-Tech's Mouse and Ratel.

Edited by Leo, 12 September 2009 - 10:29 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:42 PM

So what is your prefered knife sharpening procedure, Leo?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

So what is your prefered knife sharpening procedure, Leo?

Maybe I should put together an article on it. Technique and materials make a difference. Good technique and substandard materials still can produce a decent edge. While great materials and sloppy technique won't make a sharp knife. If you have both good technique and good materials you can really bring out the potential of a good blade.

I sharpened my Spyderco the other day with the goal of trying to get it as absolutely sharp as I could. I'm very happy with the results. It's got a VG 10 blade. It's one of my absolute favorite blade steels but you are really limited in the knives it's available in.

This thing is now sharper than brand new and that's hard to do with a Spyderco. Spyderco's come really sharp out of the box!
Posted Image

I've used an awful lot of different things to sharpen knives over the years. Right now my preferred method uses a combination of purchased sharpening stuff and homemade stuff. I do a final stropping of the blades on a piece of corrugated cardboard.

Edited by Leo, 28 September 2009 - 09:42 AM.

Posted Image

#12 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

details Leo details !!!!
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic