6 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:57 AM

My question is about the faster shooting bows and mechanical type broadheads. I was thinking I would use a mechanical type broadhead with my faster bow but I keep reading on some forums that the heads seem to open up in flight at these faster speeds like in excess of 290 fps. The broadheads I'm referring to are both front swinging and rear opening style heads and don't use a locking rubber band to hold them closed.

What's the concensus here? Do you think if I use this combo that it creates a problem for good flight problems. I get great flight now using a fixed blade broadhead. A 450 grain arrow at those speeds should get great penetration with any broadhead but my concern then is accuracy.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 10 September 2009 - 09:03 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

My question is about the faster shooting bows and mechanical type broadheads. I was thinking I would use a mechanical type broadhead with my faster bow but I keep reading on some forums that the heads seem to open up in flight at these faster speeds like in excess of 290 fps. The broadheads I'm referring to are both front swinging and rear opening style heads and don't use a locking rubber band to hold them closed.

What's the concensus here? Do you think if I use this combo that it creates a problem for good flight problems. I get great flight now using a fixed blade broadhead. A 450 grain arrow at those speeds should get great penetration with any broadhead but my concern then is accuracy.

If you are getting good flight with a fixed broadhead at speeds over 280fps you are doing real real well.

Good fletching makes an enormonous difference stabilizing broadhead tipped arrows. Blazers and FOBs help. The only issue I have with FOBs is they sit so far back on the arrow shaft they get pinched on short axle to axle bows unless you open up the string loop. I don't like to do that but if I was 100% committed to FOBs I would.

I square the insert end and nock end with G5s ASD. I also strive for as close to 12% FOC as possible with carbon arrows. IME, carbon arrows need much more FOC than Aluminum. That's why I shoot 125grain heads on my arrows. My total arrow weight is 455grs with the 125grain head and they fly at 285fps.

I get plenty of penetration with this setup shooting Rocket Aeroheads Stricknines. These are rubber band heads and I like them.
Posted Image

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

Mechanical broadheads were designed for arrow dynamically challenged individuals, who bought bows that would shoot in excess of speeds of 240fps, and who couldn't 1. Tune a bow. 2. Tune a broadhead. 3 Tune a fish. So, if you have a fixed blade broadhead that shoots great, what you will be attempting to do is finding a mechanical that shoots as well as your fixed blade.{ great advertising slogan} Buy some 3 blade RAGE and test em. Posted Image

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

I still stand behind my Hypershocks from Aftershock Archery, they fly identical to my field tips. I'm really impressed with the way they shoot.
Semper Fi

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:13 PM

Mechanical broadheads were designed for arrow dynamically challenged individuals, who bought bows that would shoot in excess of speeds of 240fps, and who couldn't 1. Tune a bow. 2. Tune a broadhead. 3 Tune a fish. So, if you have a fixed blade broadhead that shoots great, what you will be attempting to do is finding a mechanical that shoots as well as your fixed blade.{ great advertising slogan} Buy some 3 blade RAGE and test em. Posted Image

I was thinking of our last Wilderness hunt. Joe used the 3 blade Rage and it worked as designed and made TUNE A FISH can size hole in his piggy. I want to shoot them and watch them drop.

I have read lately on some forums ( not here) where they are spreading the rumor mill thick with preopening in-flight Rage and other mechanicals with higher speed arrows and wondered if you all have had an problems with them.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

I was thinking of our last Wilderness hunt. Joe used the 3 blade Rage and it worked as designed and made TUNE A FISH can size hole in his piggy. I want to shoot them and watch them drop.

I have read lately on some forums ( not here) where they are spreading the rumor mill thick with preopening in-flight Rage and other mechanicals with higher speed arrows and wondered if you all have had an problems with them.

Pre-opening in flight?

Honestly, I can't think of a mechanical that could happen with. Opening at launch... possibly. Even then it would be a very repeatable phenomena and you'd find out on the range pretty quick if it was a real issue for your setup.

This is what I VERY strongly suspect happens. In particular, I feel this is a real issue with many of the non-rubberband type mechanicals. On many of those style heads, if you just bump the blade trigger on them they open up and stay that way. Often it's just one blade which is the worst scenario. It creates an out of balance wild arrow. The smoke broadheads won't do this. And rubber band secured mechanicals won't. But many others (I won't name them) can easily be "bumped" open before they are ever launched.
Posted Image

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:34 AM

Pre-opening in flight?

Honestly, I can't think of a mechanical that could happen with. Opening at launch... possibly. Even then it would be a very repeatable phenomena and you'd find out on the range pretty quick if it was a real issue for your setup.

This is what I VERY strongly suspect happens. In particular, I feel this is a real issue with many of the non-rubberband type mechanicals. On many of those style heads, if you just bump the blade trigger on them they open up and stay that way. Often it's just one blade which is the worst scenario. It creates an out of balance wild arrow. The smoke broadheads won't do this. And rubber band secured mechanicals won't. But many others (I won't name them) can easily be "bumped" open before they are ever launched.

Leo I believe your scenario is spot on. Your description of when the problem starts is what I believe is the culprit in this rumor thing, not in flight. Just putting them in and taking these style heads out of quiver can make the problem occur. Spot and stalk style bowhunting bumping your equipment and arrow is fairly common and is one problem where those broadheads once bumped become an issue with their blades dropping out the pocket. But even still or tree stand style hunting can fall into this issue if the blades are easily loosened by even the slightest of motion like putting the arrow on the rest.

I guess that part of the use of one of these heads I have to do my preflight inspection to see how secure the blades are before using one. I will say this several mechanicals can fall into this scenario if the head is not put together properly or has been used and damaged from the shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users