• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:07 PM

I picked up my dad's 1976 comemorative model 336. The top, front of the bolt cleaved off and jammed about 1/8" back from the fully closed position. It has to be a bad cast because the gun probably hasn't fired one full box of factory ammo. I thought I could get it apart for him but I don't really know what I'm gonna find in there as far as springs, retainers, hard-to-reinstall parts.

If anyone has pulled one of these rifles apart and has any pointers I would appreciate comments. Also, If anyone knows how cool Marlin will be about giving me a new bolt for free 'cause their crap broke, let me know.

Never mind the full disassembly question. Apparently one screw gets the job done.

Edited by jr_potters06, 14 September 2009 - 05:19 PM.

Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:24 PM

Full parts list and breakdown of parts inside. http://www.marlinfir..._Centerfire.pdf

If it is merely a problem with the bolt page 7 shows bolt removal all you really need is a screwdriver
Semper Fi

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:46 PM

Marlin should replace the bolt, free gratis. I have never had a problem with them, at all. Can't say the same for the Winchester, though. Contact Marlin, and the rifle will have to be sent to a Marlin repair depot to be headspaced.

#4 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

Like said, contact em

bc

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#5 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:11 AM

I talked to someone at Marlin. They said that since the rifle was purchased in 1976, there was no warranty on it. I will have to pay to have it shipped and pay for the repair and probably pay to ship it back. I can't believe that such a long-standing American company doesn't stand behind their product with any kind of guarantee. Since I'm not happy with them right now, I think I might try to find a local machinist willing to make a new bolt. I would rather support local business than Marlin at this time. My first rifle was a Marlin Model 60. Maybe if I write their pres. a sad letter they will fix my dad's gun.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users