7 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:10 PM

You all have heard me talk about the Drury-Mincy Wildlife Area that Jason and I bow hunt. We didn't get drawn for the muzzleloader hunt this year but a guy Jason knows did get drawn. Jason's friend talked to one of the rangers and got some interesting info. First, they are seeing several black bears, which were realatively rare but now gaining ground in Southern Missouri. Second they have documented at least four mountain lions running there which is still quite rare. Third there are at least four Elk running loose, they raise them in an enclosed area of private property in the heart of the Wildlife Area and fourth, the Drury side is being over run with hogs. They have trapped 65 so far and are asking anyone who sees one to kill it on sight. Looks like Jason and I may be doing some hog hunting after the 3 day managed muzzleloader hunt is over. Gee, it pays to chat with those Rangers. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 19 September 2009 - 07:10 PM.

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

Norm, those black bears must be migrating North from Arkansas... If'n ya'll don't want 'em ya'll can send 'em back real easy... just whisper in their ear "Noone makes shine here" They'll high tail it back over the border real fast Posted Image LOL Just playin' but in a few more years maybe ya'll will have an open season on them.... As for the hogs, those could have migrated as well, sorry about them....As far as the Mt. Lions.... atleast your rangers will admit that they are there.... if you say you saw one in Southern Arkansas they look at you like you're stupid! I promise I know the difference between a house cat, a mt. lion and a bobcat LOL but they still contend that there are no mt. lions in this part of the state... LOL
Semper Fi

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:50 PM

One peice of advice if you hunt feral hogs.... do it from a tree, i went to school with a guy that was hunting them from the ground with a .22 he popped one and the other 12 that were in a group with it attacked.... he got gored from ankle to just above the knee before he made it into a tree.
Semper Fi

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:38 AM

A while back there were reports of a black panther running around locally. Of course the MDC said, " No way!" Had to change their tune when a housewife decided to sit on her back porch with a video camera! Not only did she film the panther but guess what? It had a mate! They wouldn't say where but I finally found out and it was just a mile from my house. Yep, the bears came up from Arkansas. Begining to have quite a few. A few years ago one ran a guy up a tree in the middle of town! Frankly, I know for a fact that both Cougars and black bears have been around for a long long time. The MDC just didn't want to admit it even when presented with facts. Lately the numbers have been growing fast though. The state wildlife areas are even putting up signs telling people not to feed the bears. As for the hogs, we have a serious problem here. Many are domestic hogs gone feral. There was a big problem with unscrupolous people turning them loose on purpose so that they could then charge folks to hunt them. They are cross breeding with Russian Boars and are big and mean! Here there is no season, you only need a hunting license if hunting them during say deer or turkey season. Then you need the apropriate tag to be in the woods with a firearm or bow. There is no limit on them and any hog not having a tag in it's ear is to be killed on sight. They don't care how you do it either. Gun, bow or club, ect.!

#5 jpenrose

jpenrose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

I am headed down for the long weekend and bringing my archery gear, I called down to a local outfitter for some suggestions on public hunting and they suggested Drury-Mincy. A google search brought me to your post.

Do you have any specific areas you suggest, trails to walk in on or general suggestions for the area?

Sounds like I will probably head to the Drury side as the feral hog sounds like another fun target. I'll have my chain on tree stand with me and plan on going in the afternoon till dark.

Thanks

jeff@trustedhomeimprovement.com

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:33 PM

Welcome, Jeff.

We're a tad slow lately. (I think because it's hunting season.) But, I know Norm (a.k.a. Spirithawk) checks in daily and will more than likely be glad to help you.

Again, welcome. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:56 AM

Welcome Jeff. I have seen at least some of the Drury-Mincy area and can only say it is the absolute best maintained wildlife area that I have ever seen. There are food plots that are what everyone dreams of. I was there with Spirithawk and Jason on a couple of turkey hunts this spring. The one area is a lowland/bottoms area and the other is a hills and valley area. Both had a lot of deer sign as well as turkey sign. I saw enough of this wildlife area to recommend it highly. Good luck.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

I am headed down for the long weekend and bringing my archery gear, I called down to a local outfitter for some suggestions on public hunting and they suggested Drury-Mincy. A google search brought me to your post.

Do you have any specific areas you suggest, trails to walk in on or general suggestions for the area?

Sounds like I will probably head to the Drury side as the feral hog sounds like another fun target. I'll have my chain on tree stand with me and plan on going in the afternoon till dark.

Thanks

jeff@trustedhomeimprovement.com

OH NO! I've been GOOGLED! Posted Image Posted Image Welcome Jeff. Paul, PaRidgerunner, is just saying all that because it's true! Posted Image Both the Drury and The Mincy side are simply awesome. There are maps, usually on the large signs at the entrance to some of the roads. I don't mean painted on, but rather maps free for the taking. I highly recomend you get one as they show all the trails and food plots. Jason, my son, and I haven't hunted the Drury side a whole lot, compared to the Mincy side, but a lot of large deer have been harvested off of it. On the Mincy side I highly recomend food plots 18, 20 and 23. They are simply our favorites and rightfuly so from lots of exsperience. If you like turkeys you'll have a really good chance at them in all three food plots. Jason shot an awesome 30 pounder this last Spring then we went back the next week and scored a double. They are great for deer too. You'll also find that the Rangers are very polite and helpful. They also have a great sense of humor and we love talking with them. They were a great help in us locating the best spots to hunt. A lot of food plots you can drive right up to and most all of them will provide you with shots at both deer and turkeys. There are many places where you can park and walk into the more secluded ones too. They are all on roads so the access is quite easy if you're up to walking. Food plot 23, our most favorite, is about a 2 or 3 mile walk from the parking area but I make it often even with heart and lung issues. It also passes the old town site of Mincy. Theres a very old cemetary and a spring house there, along with the foundations of the old homes, that makes for an interesting stop to look around. On food plot 18 there's an old one room stone building in the far left corner that is quite interesting too. It has always had a dirt floor, the glass in the windows is gone, if it ever had any and so is the roof. One wall is a massive stone fireplace that is really cool. It also makes a great hunting blind as you can sit at one of the windows and cover the main access point for deer quite easily. Besides posting this here I'll send it to you by email too. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. If I wasn't tied up this weekend I'd meet you there and show you around. Trust me though, with one of the maps you'll find your way around quite easily. If there are none left on the signs then you might try stopping at the Ranger's home. It is on J highway at the bridge where you make a left to go to the food plots I mentioned. You follow the road to where it turns left up a steep hill and drive to the parking area. Then walk the road past the gate to get to food plot 23. One word of warning and advice I hope you'll heed. We are not exspecting rain but should you ever go there when it does you need to get out quick and hunt the other side of the highway. Due to the rocky steep hills the water runs off into the creeks and they all have low water bridges. A slowly meandering stream can quickly become a raging river in no time at all. NEVER try crossing one when the water is up, fourwheel drive or not! They will wash you down stream in a heartbeat. I wish you good and safe hunting........Norm

PS, you might want to check out my post in the hunting section. On page two of it there's a copy of one of the maps I spoke of. Not the best copy but it will give you an idea of the lay of things and you'll see how handy having one is. Here's the link to the post to make it easy for ya.

http://forums.huntin...a-get-together/

Edited by Spirithawk, 27 November 2009 - 06:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users