Temp Is Rising....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

Well all, here it is Sept. 20th Archery Deer Season starts Oct 1st. The camo is washed, bow sighted, gear ready to be packed, broadheads ordered, Muzzleloader is scrubbed, cleaned and oiled.(Almost 2.5 hrs work just doing that) The more I do to get ready, the more I anticipate my time in the stand. I am driving about an hour and a half opening day of bow season to get to some private land in Rosston Ar then, the second day I'm hunting a Wildlife Management Area just South of Fouke AR, My strength is at a 5 year high, my endurance is there too. I can't wait... All ya'll that have already started ya'll's seasons know exactly what I'm going through LOL Got my ML supplies out today to see what I had left, and I still have 8 loads of powder and 8 of my T/c 200gr shockwave saboted slugs left along with about 25 primers, when I go out the first morning with my ML I'm gonna fire 2 or 3 primers through it before loading to make sure any excess oil is burned out, I highly suggest if you are gonna store your ML for more than a month or 2 take it out on occasion and oil it.... mine was in some sad shape, I honestly should have my behind kicked for letting it sit almost 2 years untouched. After cleaning, and oiling, I did a function check and I think the action is smoother than it was straight out of the box..... made sure to put the Nipple/Breach plug grease on and I shudder to use the term "liberally" LOL I don't know why, but I just feel like this is the year for me..... I'm usually a pessimist, but for some reason I just can't shake the feeling that this is the year I take my first buck. I have killed 2 whitetails in my life both yearling does, though they are tastey and you couldn't get any better meat, I'd still like to take a nice buck with a little something to show off with LOL. Sorry if I'm ranting but as you can tell I'm excited. HEHEHE Until I get one I will live vicariously through those who are luckier in this sport than I. I love hearing about the monsters everyone else kills. Thanks for listening.
Semper Fi

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

Wishing you good luck buddy. Our muzzleloader season isn't untill late December. In their infinite wisdom, and I use the term " wisdom " very loosly, they changed our muzzleloader season to the week of Christmas! That put a serious damper on Jason and my plans for a week long hunt at my brother-in-law's.Posted Image As to your rifles rusting i'll give you a good tip. If you can find it, try on line, get you a bottle of MCM synthetic blended metal conditioner. Jason got turned onto it when he was certified as an executive bodyguard and had to fire 2,000 rounds through his Springfield Armory XD in just two days. The stuff molecularly bonds to the metal and won't burn off nor gum up. I wipe down all of our guns with it. There are a couple that seldom get fired. One in particular has sat in the gun cabinet for 3 + years with only one wipe down and there is absolutely no sign of rust. The stuff is awesome and I refuse to use anything else period! A little goes a long ways too. I just put a few drops on a cleaning patch, run it through the bore and then use the same patch to wipe down the entire gun. Heck, you know how humid Missouri and Arkasas is. I use to have all kinds of rust problems if I didn't oil the guns every few weeks. Not any more! Posted Image

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:24 PM

Norm Yup some of these folks here wouldn't beleive us on the humidity until we bring them out here and show them LOL It AMAZES me how fast rust can accumulate on a weapon when left untouched in a closet, when I first got it out I had to use a rubber mallet to get the bolt to slide back..... Funny thing is it's just my ML my shotgun is untouched and clean as can be.... Must be a difference in blueing between Mossberg and Traditions..... I'm anxious to get into the woods to say the least... but on the plus side starting Thursday I'll have plenty to keep me busy until next Thursday LOL talked to the guy I'm gonna be oncall with last week and told him about 3am I was pointing my truck towards Rosston AR so don't try to find me after that LOL I am just so stoked to get out there, I haven't set eyes on the property at Rosston since year before last... I know if noone has been running quads through it, or doing anything stupid down there, it's gonna be some good hunting this year.... Especially since we're gonna be down there more this year... in previous years we have only hunted during gun season and people have been running dogs through the property which has some REALLY good thick brush in it to flush deer into the open areas on either of the 3 sides. My tactic this year is catch them moving from heavy cover to semi open woods before they proceed towards the pond on the adjacent property.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 20 September 2009 - 04:25 PM.

Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users