Photo

Draw Weight Poll And Opinions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Your draw weight (18 member(s) have cast votes)

select yours and express your opinion

1. 80 to 90# (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

2. 70 to 80# (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. 60 to 70# (9 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. 50 to 60# (5 votes [27.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

5. 40 to 50# (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. 30 to 40# (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:06 PM

Yeah I saw Uncle Ted on his show the other night making his point that most bowhunters pull too much weight and that he pulls 50 something pounds and he gets the job done just fine. His wife pulls like 38 pounds and he mentioned all the big game critters she's claimed over the years. He said that bow shops are to blaim for selling those 70# bows and it prevents some folks from getting into archery because of the difficulty of drawing that much weight at first. He said we need more bowhunters not less and he's right.

Me, I have mine set at 67 & 68#. I can draw more but this weight is tuned nicely. I have been thinking that I might setup my back up bow at 62# for late winter because of more clothes making it a bit tough to get to full draw.

Lets see what you think is right and why? Do you want to be able to draw more than what you are currently shooting? Do feel you are going to lower your poundage soon? Why?

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 23 September 2009 - 02:09 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 swamphntr

swamphntr

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Photography

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

My 50 lb recurve blows an arrow through a deer or hog just fine. I can draw hold and shoot my compound at 72 lbs just fine and it performs even better than the recurve. I don't need less draw weight to shoot well, yet the weight I am at allows me to shoot a heavier arrow head combination as well. So I voted 60-70.

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

My bow is set to 72# right now. I can draw it easily, I'm not a BIG guy. I like the way my bow shoots, and I know I've got the power to take down the critters I chase. I beleive in following the law the minimum draw weight in Arkansas is 50# So there is no way I would use anything less than 50.... If a lower poundage bow works well for you great, but I want my max speed and power so that I know when I let the arrow fly It's gonna get there before the deer has a chance to flinch. I won't critisize anyone for using a lower poundage bow if it works for them. I just prefer my higher poundage bow.

Semper Fi

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

When I was shooting regularly, I had mine set at 70#. I did shoot it at 80# and it opened up my group a little bit, but for extreme accuracy, a lighter weight is definately more forgiving. Don't really think that a deer or yote is going to be able to tell the difference between 50# and 70# with a 125 grain Thunderhead.

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:25 AM

Terry, this is from the Arkansas DNR website,
2009-10 Legal Hunting Equipment

Archery
Long, recurve and compound bows: Must have at least a 40-pound pull. Scopes may not be used. String locks and mechanical string releases may be used. Deer, turkey and bear hunters are required to use arrowheads at least 7/8-inches wide. Poison may not be used on arrows. Mechanical broadheads allowed." Anyway, in most states, the minimum poundages listed were in effect long before the advent of the compound, when there were just longbows and recurves. Since the modern compound delivers so much more horsepower than either longbow or recurve at whatever poundage one chooses, any compound that meets or exceeds the minimums set by the state is fine by me. I shoot 62lbs now, I used to shoot a Jennings Carbon Extreme that was jacked up to about 87lbs. 62 is a heck of a lot more enjoyable to shoot.

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

Mudduck, I don't know what I was thinking, maybe I was tired when I posted that LOL I can normally recite the AGFC guide book by heart, thanks for correcting me... looks like Luke might be able to start bow hunting a little earlier than expected :D
Semper Fi

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

I voted the highest choice available as my crossbow is 165 lb. When I hunted with a compound mine was set on 52# and I shot through most of the deer I got. I recall hunting with a 45 lb recurve and killed a bunch with it too. I also got some deer with a 47 lb recurve. I used to help my bro-in-law at his sporting goods store and watched guys try 2 and 3 times till they got a 70 lb compound over the hump and exclaimed YES this is the bow for me and no amount of talking could convince them otherwise. There were a few that came back and actually said they wished they had listened before buying a bow they could barely draw.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

When I started bowhunting seriously in the early 70s, I used a 55lb recurve and shot it for 5 or 6 years until I picked up a compound. I think my first compound was a 6wheeler at 60 lbs. I soon moved up to shooting 70 lb compounds and I've shot 6wheelers, 4wheelers, 2wheelers, 2cam and single cammed bows. I kept trying to creep up in poundage as I'd max out my adjustments and I think I had a couple pulling 74 or 75 lbs. My last bow (and still current hunting bow), a Mathews Q2XL, had quite a different draw weight curve from what I'd experienced in most of the wheeled bows I'd shot, in that the peak poundage peaked earlier in the draw which taxed my upper arm muscles more than I'd anticipated when set at 70 lbs. I soon lowered it down to 60 lbs to let my muscles get toned to shooting that bow. When I go moose hunting, I still crank her up to 70 lbs, but opt to lower it for whitetails and other small game when I get home. It takes some minor adjustments in equipment and sighting, but I think it's worth the effort.

On the odd times that I still take out one of my recurves, I'm still shooting 50 to 55 lbs (setting at 28"), but I pull a 30-1/2" arrow so it's slightly more. I think I'd really like to pick up a 40 to 45 lb recurve or longbow just to shoot for fun at some 3Ds.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#9 woodswalker

woodswalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Trad archery,Trapping and woodscraft

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:22 PM

I have no problem putting a large Broadhead through a deer with my 48 at 28 longbow. Just keep it within archery range. I hunt elk with the same bow because it is what I have and trust it. If I get another bow it will be another longbow set to 55 at 28. I cannot handle weight very well and would prefere to be able handle my bow without and problems. Just my thoughts on the matter.

#10 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:47 AM

I max my bow out. My Switchback is at 70 pounds right now (it was at 72 pounds when the Zebra Barracuda string was still on it). I'm very comfortable drawing that weight in any condition, whether it is 80 degrees or -10 degrees.

I would blame the "heavy weight" draws on the archers, not the shop. The "macho" factor kicks in and some people think they need to shoot as much weight as possible, not as much weight as they are comfortable with.

#11 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

For my nickel's worth...

I have some physical issues at this time which have me limited.
(Right now I'm hunting a little over 60# and it's frankly a hard pull at times.)
But, even before this, I would purposely buy 50-60# limbs on all of my hunting compounds. (Recurve/longbow would be in the 45-50# area.) I shoot all of my bows maxed out as I feel, even with modern pivoting limb pockets, a bow still tends to feel better at the shot when maxed. Also, even with parallel limbs, bows still lose their factory specifications for axle to axle length and brace height when the poundage is turned down from max. (The A to A tends to get shorter, while the brace gets higher, which translates into a slightly longer draw length that often negatively impacts shooting accuracy.) My current hunting bow actually maxes at about 63#. This is how I've shot for years. Mind you, when I was still an archery technician, I was daily working on and pulling 80 and 90# bows without batting an eye. (150 to 200# crossbows without a cocking aid too.) It was simply a necessary part of the job. I had no problem with it. (I was generally the "dummy" who got roped into working on the heavy bows because I was a big boy. :lol: )

Over time, just experimenting with different bows at different weights (it got slow in the shop sometimes LOL), I simply found that if I could steadily hold and aim, say, an 80# bow for 30 seconds before feeling the need to shoot or let down, I could steadily hold and aim a 60# bow even longer. (Perhaps a minute or more.) It didn't matter how strong I was or how comfortable I was at a heavier draw weight. I was always even more comfortable and even more steady at a lower draw weight. (While somewhat relative to the individual, it is still a constant principle. It doesn't matter who you are.) Unless you are really getting down below the 50# mark and/or into really high let-off at full draw (more than 80%) the chances of your draw weight being so low at full draw that you can't hold as steady on target as you would with more draw weight is highly unlikely. (Indoor target shooters deal with this... Dynamic set-up... The need to actually balance the physical weight of the bow itself against the holding draw weight of the bow for their own maximum steadiness of sight picture at full draw. We simply need to be able to shoot a ton of arrows as steadily as possible. By contrast, bowhunters are simply above this balancing act of weight range. Even younger/smaller/female bowhunters who are shooting lower draw weight are still, generally, pulling a weight that is higher than they would for target shooting. This is where some relatively comes in. But, as you see, the principle is still there.)

For me, I tend to only hunt whitetail and smaller game. (Though I did blow right through a 500# Russian boar with a 63# Mathews Outback.) So, I know that 60# is more than enough to take down anything I may encounter. Therefore, that's my hunting weight. I don't need to consider anything else. The fact that I may be able to comfortably pull significantly more draw weight does not enter in. If I hunted a lot of elk, for example, my hunting weight may be 70# based solely on the larger game. If I regularly hunted even larger game such as moose and large African game, my hunting weight may be 80#. But, that's how I look at it. I ask, based upon personal experience and the anatomy of the given animal(s), "What is the weight at which the game I pursue is able to be consistently and cleanly taken?" The answer to that question dictates my hunting draw weight and nothing more.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users