Photo

Crossbows And String Locks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Crossbows And String Locks (13 member(s) have cast votes)

What limitations do you think should be put on crossbow use during archery season?

1. Anyone should be allowed to use them, we need more bodies in the woods. (8 votes [61.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

2. Only those with upper body disabilities should be allowed to use them (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

3. It's not fair, noone should be allowed to use them. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Doesn't matter to me either way (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

This is a topic near and dear to my heart seeing as my first whitetail ever was harvested with a crossbow. I think anything we can do to put more bodies in the woods is the right thing to do. However, we have alot of hunters in our ranks that condemn the use of crossbows as "cheating". I was an able bodied 17 y/o boy using a crossbow, I made a 20 yd shot on a doe hitting it right in the boiler room. The arrow passed completely through, and burried about 9 inches into the ground behind the doe. She maybe went 30 yds. It was an effective weapon that made a great hit for me. It also instilled a love of archery in me. If nothing more than a gateway into archery for a novice who is curious about archery I think all hunters need to band together and watch each other's 6 just like so many of our celebrities such as Uncle Ted have been preaching for so long. So you know what my answer is to this poll.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 23 September 2009 - 08:19 PM.

Semper Fi

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:10 PM

We kinda did this awhile back. http://forums.huntin...talk-crossbows/

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

Yeah, but it never hurts to do it again. :)

Put me down for, "I still don't care either way." ;)

Of course, since PA made them legal for all hunters during archery season just this year it's no longer an issue here to me. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

Mudduck & Jere, I whole-heartedly support any ETHICAL manner of taking game so long as it gets more bodies in the woods. We are having to fight for our right to hunt more and more as time goes by because alot of people are getting to the point that they don't appreciate the natural joy and highs of spending time outdoors. This is the root problem with children being obese nowadays, they don't have the woods to run around in, their parent's don't take the time to get them out from infront of the TV or videogames etc.... I don't know about anyone else, but if I can get an ally in the fight against the anti's I'll take all I can get. I've seen reports on how much the outdoor sports are on the decline, I want more people to enjoy the sport I do every chance I get to get someone in the woods that has never hunted, or it's been years since they hunted I take it.. We all know what's gonna happen if we rest on our laurels, I say we take the fight to the anti's door by recruiting everyone we can to hunt and fish. Arkansas has no restrictions on crossbow use during archery season and I'm very proud of that. It is the reason I was able to take my first deer ever with a crossbow. For the sake of arguement the let off percentages of compound bows are getting higher and higher each year what is the arguement that's gonna come up when the let off climbs to 95% or better? Bows are getting faster each year as well. What's gonna be the disagreemant when you can get a 80lb draw bow with a 95% let off and it flings an arrow at 550fps? I want to be a voice to stop the elitist attitudes that some of us have. I'm nore than capable of drawing my 73# draw weight, there are people my age that would love to archery hunt, but they don't have the strength to pull 73# or 60# some can barely draw 50#..... Arkansas' minimum draw weight is 40# I would never use that low of a poundage but if that is all someone can pull I say more power to them. I may be ranting but I see our sport slipping away slowly, and I really don't want to see us lose this sport because we had elitist attitudes. If all hunters band together, and respect our differences rather than argue and fuss and fight amongst ourselves and not only that but invite those who don't hunt or have never had the chance to but would like to our sport will endure.
Semper Fi

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

I hear what you're saying. In fact, when I say "I don't care either way." I'm only speaking of whether or not the crossbow is allowed for all as a hunting weapon. It's simply no skin off my back either way. I'm not saying that I don't care about adding more hunters. Please be aware, however, that the majority of new crossbow hunters in PA are either firearms hunters who are now simply looking to get a head start on deer hunting or those who were struggling physically to use a compound/recurve/long bow but delayed, for whatever reason, in acquiring a disabled hunter permit to be able to use a crossbow. Very few I've spoken with are actually new hunters who went out and became licensed for the first time because they can now use a new weapon to pursue game. There has been no spike in licensed hunters. That would be great to have happen! But, it's just not reality; at least not here.

The decline in hunter numbers is real.
No new weapon (crossbow, blowgun, spear, dynamite, RPG) will slow it, in my opinion.
Only a change (or refreshing) in the core values and attitude of the people will do it.
I'd like to think that's part of the reason this site exists.
(It's great to just hang out with buddies, but we're hopefully using the legislative feeds, for example, to aid in choosing whom we vote into power as well as to lobby for our way of life amongst legislators and every day people.)
The "Why hunt when I can go to the store and buy it?" mentality is strong.
Meeting it in combat requires skill and patience to not offend. God help us all.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

Jere, I hear what you're saying. I just don't want to limit people's options. What's just dandy for me may not work for someone else. If gun hunters just want to use xbows to get into the woods earlier, they're in for a rude awakening when they try that 40 yd shot and hit between the deer's feet. Then they will have to learn what the xbow can and cannot do. Xbows are on a level playing field with compounds the only difference is that the compound you hold back under your own power. IF they'res a CHANCE to get someone who doesn't hunt into the woods I'm all for it. I'm actually gonna see if I can find someone who doesn't hunt to take with me during gun season. I just want to try and get as many people as possible out of the mindset of "Why go hunting when I can go to the store and buy it?" I despise that mentallity if hunting declines to nothing then the groups like PETA have won atleast one fight....What's the next fight they win? Taking meat out of grocery stores? Maybe I'm paranoid, but dang it.... I don't want to see our sport wither any more than it already has.
Semper Fi

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:37 PM

Anyone who ever uses a crossbow quickly realises one's drawbacks, no pun intended. I have to use one but frankly I'd trade it in a heartbeat to be able to shoot a regular bow again. Frankly, I don't think there is any one correct answer to the crossbow question.

Edited by Spirithawk, 24 September 2009 - 09:37 PM.

#8 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

I hear what you're saying. In fact, when I say "I don't care either way." I'm only speaking of whether or not the crossbow is allowed for all as a hunting weapon. It's simply no skin off my back either way. I'm not saying that I don't care about adding more hunters. Please be aware, however, that the majority of new crossbow hunters in PA are either firearms hunters who are now simply looking to get a head start on deer hunting or those who were struggling physically to use a compound/recurve/long bow but delayed, for whatever reason, in acquiring a disabled hunter permit to be able to use a crossbow. Very few I've spoken with are actually new hunters who went out and became licensed for the first time because they can now use a new weapon to pursue game. There has been no spike in licensed hunters. That would be great to have happen! But, it's just not reality; at least not here.

The decline in hunter numbers is real.
No new weapon (crossbow, blowgun, spear, dynamite, RPG) will slow it, in my opinion.
Only a change (or refreshing) in the core values and attitude of the people will do it.
I'd like to think that's part of the reason this site exists.
(It's great to just hang out with buddies, but we're hopefully using the legislative feeds, for example, to aid in choosing whom we vote into power as well as to lobby for our way of life amongst legislators and every day people.)
The "Why hunt when I can go to the store and buy it?" mentality is strong.
Meeting it in combat requires skill and patience to not offend. God help us all.

I think it is funny that you included dynamite in there. I was just in a short conversation with some men at church about the deer problem in the urban areas of portsmouth,ohio. The conversation was about the city tring to find a way to allow people to harvest these animals in a safe way and remove the nuisance. I mentioned a baited mortar with a remote trigger. Get the idea, a vertical blast would pose less chance of collateral damage than a horizantal miss or through and through shot from any other weapon. I think there are already laws on the books preventing the use of explosives in hunting though.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

I come from many years of vertical bow hunting which I enjoyed a lot. That is until the last several years when shoulder joint pain just will not allow me to shoot a regular bow any more. I did jump through all the hoops and got a disabled permit to use a crossbow for deer in PA. Don't get me wrong I am no expert on crossbows but have shot mine a while and missed a deer last year with it. Hunting with a crossbow is definately not a piece of cake. Carrying a weapon that weighs over 8 pounds can be a chore. Manuerving one through the bush is tough too. One must never forget that it is a bow that is aimed like a rifle with an effective range of 40 yds and under, about the same as my regular bow was. I will not claim it is easier but it is different than either a regular bow and much different than a rifle. A crossbow can have a 200 lb draw weight but the length of time that thrust is applied to the arrow is much shorter than with a conventional bow, also the arrow length is much shorter so the energy really bleeds off from 40 yds on.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users