4 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:30 AM

OK,
Since this forum has some great minds I thought I'd ask for some possible mount ideas for my 5x5 bull elk. I decided not to have a full shoulder mount done so Laylon's Taxidermy (Chris Laylon was along the hunt) prepared the skull & antlers for a European style mount. I had a piece of the hide tanned also (approx. 3'x2'). My orginal intent was to hang the hide on the wall and mount the skull in the center which I thought might look pretty unique. Then I wondered about using a 4' section of barn beam, standing on end with the hide draped over it and the skull mounted of top( as this could be easily moved....(ie... into the bathroom while I'm shaving, TV room while the Steelers are thumping the Broncos, etc.)
I also have one of Sammee's decals with a group pic taken at 13,500 ft. elev. that I want to include as well.
I'd sure appreciate some insightful ideas for you Nimrods !Posted Image

Edited by Phil, 25 September 2009 - 05:31 AM.

Posted Image

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:21 AM

Phil just an idea if you have space on a coffee table, endtable etc.... why not get the skull mounted to a plaque with the hide between and then put it on the table..... I hope I'm being descriptive enough it looks reallly good the way I have it in my head, though.... i could be wrong.... the plaque would just be there to keep the skull from getting tipped over or something.... then the hide would act like the decroative table cloth things that some people put on coffee tables end tables etc.... just an idea
Semper Fi

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:56 PM

OK my two cents for what they are worth.

A 3' x 2' piece of hide isn't really all that big. You can tell folks it's from the elk but darn few will recognize it as being from the elk without you telling them. The main reason is the piece of hide is so small it just doesn't register. You can incorporate the hide into some kind of pedestal display for the the european mount (pedestal panels) and that would probably be a great use for it. IMHO, tacking the euro mount in the center of a small piece of hide isn't gonna look all that great when it's finally done.

Maybe you envisioned something different and I just don't get it. I'm being honest here so I hope I'm not offending you my friend.

But from what you're describing I trully think a pedestal for the euro-mount with elk hide panels on all four sides of the pedestal would be the most elegant.

Bone tacked on a piece of skin on the wall, just doesn't seem to have a whole lot of appeal. A well done pedestal with those materials can end up being a fine piece of art.
Posted Image

#4 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

No Leo, a pedestal with Phil tacked to it would be an awesome piece art............ Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

No offense taken Leo as I'm looking for lots of opinions to help give me direction in this process.Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users