11 replies to this topic

#1 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:02 PM

OK

This is gonna be a little long, It all started a little over 4 months ago when the arizona draw results were out, Jeff Harvey a 14 year old hunter had drawn one of the most sought after bull tags in arizona, his Father Dave called and booked the hunt.

I was able to locate serveral nice bulls in the 340 to 360 range and one that would break the 400 mark, it has been tough here this year no water, bulls not talking and the rut is late, I was going to have my work cut out for me this hunt.

Day 1 Friday opening morning

we drove to where I had seen the big 400, parked the truck I got out to listen nothing not a sound, I let go a bugle and when he bugled back I said to Jeff Game on lets go, we closed the distance to about 300 yards in some of nastyest thickest stuff around, we could here the cows and smaller bulls, and the big boy would annouce his presence about every 15 mins, after about 3 hours of dodging cows and smaller bulls, the heard started to bed up, I was able to work thru the heard to 80 yards of the bedded big boy, I got Jeff set and let go a big ole bugle(tying to sound like the biggest baddest bull in the woods) in order to get him to stand up and look around the big ceder he was laying behind, It worked he came around the ceder fast looking to kick someone butt for invading in on him and his cows, He stopped broadside at 80 yards and Jeff let it go, but his shot was low and under the bull a clean miss, the heard was off and no chance to get a second shot off, talk about a low, Jeff was bummed his dad and brother were bummed and so was I, to Jeffs credit he just said sometimes we missed let find another bull,

Friday evening was slow not bulls bugleing to chase or locate for sat morning,

Day 2 Saterday morning

I knew a ridge line the bulls like to hang out on, I see serveral bulls that would fit the bull in this spot, as we got near the top I spotted a spike grazing in the little meadow, but he was all alone, no bugles could be heard it was quiet, I suggested we pull off the ridge go back to camp get a good bite to eat and head to a tank I knew held water, (right now in the unit water is gold its so dry), we got to the tank at 1pm and we set up about 175 yards off the tank, I had Jeff up front with me and his dad and brother about 20 yards behind us, I told everyone to settle down it could be long wait, but to be ready becasue I have see bulls come in during the middle of the day, we watched as groups of turkeys came into water, the good thing was we were undetcted by any of the turkeys,

we were getting well into that golden hour right before sunset, when I spotted a spike bull coming in, he right to the water drank his fill rolled in the mud and was leaving when I heard the bull bugle about 700 yards up the ridge and across the meadow from the tank, ok guys get ready we got 20 mins of shooting light left this has got to happen fast, the bull hung up at 400 yards from the tank, I let go with a small series of cow calls and it was he could stand, he came straight into the water, up to his belly and started to drink, I told jeff as soon as he rasies his head to look around to bust him, about that time he rasied his head, I could not get the word shoot it out of my mouth before jeff let the 300 short mag bark, the bull hunched up and leaped fowred, and turnd and ran to the meadow, I cow called and bugled, the bull stopped and jeff let the rifle bark again, and the bull hit the ground, I then felt like I was hit by a freight train as Jeffs dad dave came up from behind me and gave me a bear hug to rember, after everyone hugged and gave hand slaps knuckels we walked over to Jeffs First ever elk, the bull taped out at 349 gross and would have been over 350 but for 3 broken points on one side,

Posted Image

The smile says it all
Posted Image

Posted Image
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

Awesome. That's a great bull!
-Eric

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:00 PM

:o

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Simply Awesome achievement RL....WAY COOL !!!!
Posted Image

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

RL thanks for sharing that with us, very cool hunt. I have been wondering what you have been doing - I guess I know now. Posted Image Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 swamphntr

swamphntr

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Photography

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:09 AM

Nice job on the hunt re cap.Congrats to the guide and hunters.

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:10 PM

Sweet! that just wet my appetite to chase whitetails tomorrow Posted Image
Semper Fi

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:41 PM

Now that is one bull story I could get into. Congrats to the shooter but most of all the guide. Great outcome.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

Nice job RL :) very nice job
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#10 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the comments guys, its always fun taking a young hunter out,

I have been busy scouting for Sherri deer hunt that starts friday and a clinants deer hunt that starts the weekend after Sherris, its been busy this year but is starting to wind down, after these next 2 hunts only on left have a cliant with a late bull tag, yall be good and good luck

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

Congrats to both you and your young hunter RL. Awesome bull! Thanks for sharing. :)

#12 GP@AZ

GP@AZ

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:45 PM

Yes RL you did a great job congratulations on the hunt.
AWESOME VERY NICE BULL
:clap:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users