• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

This has been eating me up since I missed an elk so I had share the short story.
On saturday morning we went to the high mountains and had a few elk answer but nothing would commit and the wind was wrong to do any stalking or an ambush. Saturday evening Tyler my son was sick so I desided to hunt one of my treestands for whitetail. I was in the stand by 6:00 pm and was settling in and thought to myself you know there are some elk on the river bottom this time of year. So I gave a fairly loud cow call and a bull instantly responded so I gave another an there he was and I really was exspecting it. Being caught off gaurd without my bow in hand there the bull was in a shooting lane where I had shot a doe last year at five yards. The bull started walking so I whistled to stop him several times and finally he stoped at fifteen yards and I dew back and ''MISSED'' so I whistled again to stop him but he was standing be hind a willow bush. The bull just walk away not even as if he was spooked and yes he never once looked up at me in the tree.
Bruce I guess I'll have to join the (quote tree club) because that is why I missed because I hit a branch. The kicker here was it was the biggest bull I've shot at in my life a 6x7.
On sunday we went to the high mountains elk hunting again only this time we were up against bad winds and the elk beat us to the punch. We had a bit of excitement though. We were walking up the trail when my nephew spoted a bear so my son was going to put a stalk on the bear. The bear was sitting on a dead elk gaurding his food. My nephew and I stayed down the hill about eighty yards and I was cow calling to distract the bear some. Tyler got to within thirty six yards and was drawing back when the bear turned his way and snarled at him and then ran away. Tyler siad he was a little nervous when he seen the bear showed his teeth protecting his food.
All in all I think bowhunting is the most rewarding because you have to get so close.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

Robert, man we've all been in the spot where we have a GIVEN shot.... and for whatever reason we miss, whether it's me and getting too excited and blowing my yardage, or the infamous tree killers LOL Stuff happens we try to learn from our mistakes and make new ones. Just be glad you have the chance to get out there and try. Some poor stiffs never venture out into the woods and will never know the joy, the pain, the excitement and the dissapointment we do. Sure you kick yourself everytime you miss, but atleast you were there to try.... Just my 2 cents
Semper Fi

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:54 AM

Good reading Robert !
Tough break on the bull but with your years of experince you know it happens. Sounds like your gang is having a great season so far with big game encounters....good hunting!Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:29 AM

Good story and thanks for sharing it. Some of the best times on the trail are not all kills. I too think it's a bow hunting thing getting eye ball to eye ball with the critters. Posted Image Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:25 AM

Sorry on the miss, but it sounds like you guys are having a great time in the woods. There's always rifle season too!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#6 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

A little update on the bear episode Tyler versus the bear. Yesterday we got snow and a fair amount. Tyler went up last night to see if he could get another chance at the bear. He was greeted with ten inches of snow to begin with. Something is magical about fresh snow and fresh tracks. Yes fresh elk tracks and bear tracks to boot. Tyler got set up and was waiting for the bear but it was a different bear that came in last night a light cinnamon bear. He was trying get the bears attention to get a better shot when all of a sudden the bear came running down right to Tyler. He took a shot thinking the bear was attacking only to hit a tree. We believe the bear smelled another bear that was more dominate or bigger and just bolted because the wind was in our favor. Yes neither of us pack a pistol. The plot thickens and things get western in the west and life is fun.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

That would make my heart beat awhole bunch faster for several days there after. LOL Did I say Pucker factor.

Self defense bow hunting is a quick deal with little room for thinking. Please Keep us posted how it progresses.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

Wow RR you guys really know how to have fun. Remind me if I ever hunt with you and yours to bring an extra pair of shorts.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users