Opening Day In Arkansas

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:41 PM

Got out of bed at 3am showered and got dressed the wife had yet to go to bed, she was in the kitchen making sausage balls, (YUM) I'm running around trying to get my gear together and in the truck, and as you all well know, when the wife is up and you're getting ready to go hunting, she comes up with 100 mineal chores that you need to do (i.e. take the trash out to the garage etc.) Well I finally get to leave. Take some paperwork by the office, and head towards Rosston AR.... I get just outside Texarkana, and I start thinking......"Did I put my broadhead arrows in my case???" So I stop and take a look...... JEEZ they're still sitting ontop of the gunrack in my room AT HOME!!!!! I turn around and go back to the house (another 20 minutes) then I realize it's already after 5am.... nowhere near enough time to make it to Rosston before sunrise....OK plan B.... Sulpher River WMA..... So I detour from the house to the WMA, get there about 6am...... STILL too dark to walk out in the woods so I start applying my camo face paint, and do the best job ever, Posted Image . ALRIGHT now I realize I left my work phone at the house, I don't wear watches, so if i get anything I won't know what time it was.....OH WELL I CAME TO HUNT NOT WATCH THE CLOCK!!!! So I figure there's just enough light for me to head into the woods, there were a few skeeters buzzing around just outside the truck so I applied a pretty healthy dose of 40% DEET mosquito spray....... I walked 2 steps into the woods, and was INSTANTLY bombarded by atleast 30 mosquitos..... ok back to the truck to apply MORE skeeter dope..... 1/2 a can later I re-enter the woods.....SAME STORY... I WILL NOT BE DETERRED!!!! LOL So I start looking for the trail that leads back to the gas line that most people hunt..... It's no longer a trail but a creek, I'm on foot.... not happening....plus that's most likely where most of the skeeters are coming from so I decide I'll try somewhere new today.... I start walking straight back towards the gas line intent on stopping short, I come across a fairly open area, and decide it looks good..... I attatch my climber, fight skeeters, get my bow onto the climber,walk out about 20 yds and set off the Buck Bomb I brought with me, climb up onto it myself, then put my pack back on, and climb up the tree...... Sunrise arrives, and I'm feeling it, I'm gonna see something today since I'm hunting the front edge of a storm..... I'm sitting there, and the OFF wears off.... and I am acosted by skeeters AGAIN, spray down again. Well a few hours pass, and I decide I'll climb down, go back to the truck go to the nearest town grab some food and come back just in time for an evening hunt.....As I get to the base of the tree, I climb off my stand, and turn around to see a tail twitching..... DEER!!! I look can't see the head......DANG!!! I'm moving around trying to get a look at the head, I know it's a small deer, just not sure about how small, it's about 20 yds out...... but WHAT IS IT?????!!!! Well about that time it busts me and bolts, ok spot and stalk..... I should be able to catch up if I'm quiet enough..... 2,000,000 spiderwebs and 200,000,000 skeeters later, no tracks, no deer so I head back to the tree to move my stand to a slightly better local..... I get to the tree I'm putting my stand on which is about 30 yds from the tree it was initially on, and slightly closer to where I had seen the deer, with a much clearer view, and Remember what happened when I first stepped into the woods? Swarmed again..... Spray down with OFF again..... (*#^$(@)(*& Mosquitos...... I climb up have to start swatting skeeters again..... take off my hat and start waving it across my face to get SOME releif..... never saw anything again.... alright climb down and start heading back to the truck... The skeeters are unbearable.... every couple of steps, I'm stopping to cough up and spit out a dozen or so...... all this distraction takes away from my sense of direction and I end up about 100 yds South of my truck, @(*#&$()#*@&#$ IT!!! So I then know exactly which direction to head.... FINALLY make it back to the truck..... My right shoulder is killing me and I finally get SOME releif from the skeeters.... load everything up into the truck in it's respective place, and get ready to go.... about the time I'm leaving I see a couple of guys driving up the boat ramp ending their day..... We had the same luck with the skeeters, I'm going back tomorrow, with 100%DEET and a few mosquito repellant refills for my Thermacell which I forgot to purchase at Wally Weird this morning when I got my License..... Oh well I gott'em now LOL My shoulder is PURPLE right now from my stand banging around on it, but It's not gonna stop me LOL I told you all this story to emphasize one very important fact....MAN IT'S GREAT TO BE BACK OUT THERE!!!!!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Semper Fi

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:27 AM

THERMOCELL! Posted Image

It works berry berry good for me!
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:58 AM

Rowdy OOOOHHHHH YEAHH!!!! got 3 refills yesterday used one this morning..... It was nice this morning though.... I got out to the spot that I was hunting. Got set up etc.... about sunrise.... I got a bit chilly..... I was wearing a long sleeve t-shirt and a pair of jeans but i was actually chilly Posted Image Well the day rocked on and I decided to get off the stand and go back to the truck, I didn't realize til then just how good of a job that thermacell was doing LOL It's not quite as effective while on the move, but, it helped. I decided to mark the trail back out to the spot I hunted yesterday.... well a roll of banding tape and a half hour later I was headed back to the truck and fighting mosquitos....Without my bow ofcourse..... and I'll be danged if I didn't jump up a big fat doe about 100yds from the truck..... Oh well I know where they cross now, so I'll be waiting tomorrow, I was focused on getting away from everyone.... and forgot that NOONE HUNTS CLOSE TO THE PARKING AREA..... so I'll be posted up there tomorrow LOL The spot I'll be hunting tomorrow is about 100yds or less from the parking area along a trail that I don't believe most people use LOL It's sad that they are crossing right there, and noone really thinks about it... It's really easy to get to, and is the only place you won't be walking through 18" of water to get to LOL.
Semper Fi

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:08 AM

Posted Image Sounds like the Skeeters got ya zeroed in Terry ! Good Luck on the rest of the season.
Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

I was very surprised this year in Kansas with the bugs. It has been wet there all summer and I was expecting the worst as far as bugs i.e. skeeters, gnats, ticks and chiggers. I sprayed my camo with a product called permanone by repel and had no problems at all. I didn't even fire up the thermocell at all. Man there were very few skeeters and no ticks, not even on the doe I got. Temps were very pleasant too. Last year without doping up or firing the thermocell you would get eaten alive.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users