• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

I got a doe in Kansas a little over a week ago. As most of you know I am a great fan of the Hornady XTP hollow point bullets out of my Knight Bighorn. The doe I shot in Kansas was about 40 yds from my blind and was a head on shot. The 300 grain bullet entered at the base of the throat and traveled well over 30 inches and was just under the hide at the front of the back ham. I just weighed it and it still weighed 291.7 grains and expanded from 45 cal to 64 caliber at the front of the bullet. Also as most of you know I do not use any sort of magnum load. That bullet was powered by a meager 80 grains of FFg Goex. If I can get nearly 3 feet of penetration on a deer standing 40 yds away and get perfect mushrooms I aint changing anything. Now if I could just find a shooter buck to feed one of these mushrooms to. When I have a little time I'll take a picture of that bullet. It looks nearly identical to the one I recovered a couple of years ago from a doe I shot at about 18 yds.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

I got a doe in Kansas a little over a week ago. As most of you know I am a great fan of the Hornady XTP hollow point bullets out of my Knight Bighorn. The doe I shot in Kansas was about 40 yds from my blind and was a head on shot. The 300 grain bullet entered at the base of the throat and traveled well over 30 inches and was just under the hide at the front of the back ham. I just weighed it and it still weighed 291.7 grains and expanded from 45 cal to 64 caliber at the front of the bullet. Also as most of you know I do not use any sort of magnum load. That bullet was powered by a meager 80 grains of FFg Goex. If I can get nearly 3 feet of penetration on a deer standing 40 yds away and get perfect mushrooms I aint changing anything. Now if I could just find a shooter buck to feed one of these mushrooms to. When I have a little time I'll take a picture of that bullet. It looks nearly identical to the one I recovered a couple of years ago from a doe I shot at about 18 yds.

congrats on your hunt, i live in ky. and can't hardly wait till the 17th.

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

Paul, that's awesome.... I use 100 Gr. of Pyrodez 777 50/50 pellets in my Inline... and I've got 200Gr T/C Shockwaves. Haven't got to put one in a deer yet though LOL
Semper Fi

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

Well that answered some of the questions I had about your bullet. Congratulations on a nice doe. Good eating. I like that bullet too.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users