11 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:57 AM

Hi everyone. Hope everyones well. It's soon time to replace my copper john dead nuts hunter sight. Its served me well Im down to two pins that the fiber hasnt broken due to tracking a deer last year thru stuff a briar rabbit wouldnt hide in). I love it but per copper john cust. service email "Unfortunately the pins were discontinued by our vendor and we do not have any more left." What do you all recommend to use?

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:31 AM

Are we talking about actual broken pins or just broken fiber optics? If the latter, simply replace the fibers.

FiberOpticProducts.com/Archery.htm

Buy a multi-pack of either .019 or .029 (depending upon your sight - I would guess they are likely .029 being the Hunter model) and some of the clear tubing. Refer to the web site for some examples of how to run the fibers. The bottom line is, the longer the brighter.

Tip: Hold a lighter close to (not touching!) the head of the fiber once you've run it through the pin just to slightly mushroom it so it won't pull back through. You can experiment a few times until you get the size of the head the same as the factory pins.

Another Tip: Leave the fiber full length until you get the head melted just right and then cut to length. (I'd leave the fibers at least a foot long, personally.)

I did this modification to one of my old Copper John sights and was amazed at how much of an upgrade in brightness it was.

Lastly, purchase the Copper John C.U.P. It may be a discontinued product as well because of the new C.J. design. But, some online vendors should still have a few in stock I would think. I used this product for several years and it saved my fibers numerous times.

If you're just bent on getting a new sight, I see no reason not to go with another Copper John. They're as tough as anything else out there, already have the longer, brighter fibers, which are snag-free now (no need for the C.U.P.) and have a nicer adjustment as well. :2cents:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

Or just look at a Spot Hogg sight! Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:10 AM

I gotta agree with Jere... Not just because he's the board admin.... but because I LOVE my CJ..... I have the dead nutz as well, and I bought all new pins and converted it over to the .19....because at the time I was doing alot of 3D shoots. I too have broken most of the fiber on mine, I am glad to see that there is an option to replace just the fiber so as soon as I get done with this post I'm gonna follow the link, and see about when I'll be able to replace my fiber. One thing that helped me with keeping from breaking mine any faster than what I did was putting one little drop of superglue right in the curve of the fiber and actually gluing it to the pin, I had a branch go through the apperature as I was walking in the dark one morning, and there's no preventing breakage in that case LOL

Edited by TerryfromAR, 06 October 2009 - 10:12 AM.

Semper Fi

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

I gotta agree with Jere... Not just because he's the board admin.... but because I LOVE my CJ..... I have the dead nutz as well, and I bought all new pins and converted it over to the .19....because at the time I was doing alot of 3D shoots. I too have broken most of the fiber on mine, I am glad to see that there is an option to replace just the fiber so as soon as I get done with this post I'm gonna follow the link, and see about when I'll be able to replace my fiber. One thing that helped me with keeping from breaking mine any faster than what I did was putting one little drop of superglue right in the curve of the fiber and actually gluing it to the pin, I had a branch go through the apperature as I was walking in the dark one morning, and there's no preventing breakage in that case LOL

It was because of the broken fibers not the pins themselves. Thanks for the link! I'd go with another Copper John but Cabela's doesnt carry them anymore (atleast their website doesnt). I wont give bass pro my money after they stuck their noses up at me the other year. What do you all think of the Trophy Ridge Fire Wire V3™ Bow Sight ?

Edited by Whitetiger, 06 October 2009 - 08:30 PM.

#6 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:50 PM

scott let me do some digging. I went through 3 cj sites....stripping out threads...but if I can find them I should have a punch of pins I could send ya....just hope I can find them

by the way....I switched to spot hog and won't ever look back :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:54 PM

Scott": didn't take as much digging as I thought....IM me your mailing address, I'll get my old CJ sight in the mail to you. 2 red, 2 green 1 yellow on it .

use it for parts.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

Scott": didn't take as much digging as I thought....IM me your mailing address, I'll get my old CJ sight in the mail to you. 2 red, 2 green 1 yellow on it .

use it for parts.

THANK YOU!!

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:18 PM

Since we're talkin' fiber optics, I found this interesting...

COPPER JOHN
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

:thumbsup:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#10 Donnie

Donnie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:41 PM

I use to use CJ Dead Nut sights, but as my eyes start to go bad those pins all start to look like a blur.

I changed to a HHA Sports single pin adjustable site with a .019 dia. fiber pin...Man I'm telling you that change was the best ever!
The HHA Sports OL-5519 site is the one I would recommend to anyone that is looking for a new bow sight.

I'm dialed in from 20 to 60 yards and keeping them in the 10 ring on a javelina 3-D target!

#11 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

Same thing happened to mine. I broke the fibers out of mine. I was in a pinch and ended up having to buy a Trophy Ridge with the vertical sight pins.
Only the dead know the end of war.- Plato

#12 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

I have owned several different sites that have literally fell apart from some minor adjustment and no real ruff handling.

I switched to Spot Hogg.

I own three Spot Hogg real deal sights with the wraps and fingers crossed and knock on wood I have not broken anything on anyone one of them. I have had them on trips to Canada and banged around on countless car trips and walked miles in the field with them and not a problem.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users