• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:12 PM

For the 1st time, PA license holders are being allowed to use bait for deer in certain areas of the lower portions of the state for the upcoming year. Shooters can place up to 10lbs of bait no more than 3 times in one day at the same site. <_<

I'm Praying that all Whitetail Hunting on public land north of I-80 remain fairchase during my lifetime. But that's just me ! :mellow:
Posted Image

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:14 PM

I hunt Wisconsin, and for years, "baiting" has been legal. My own experiance was that it was a lot of work to haul in bait, once the "local" deer "busted" you in your stand, from that point on, every time they came in, they were looking up to see if you were there, once the bucks started to chase does, then they too were alerted to your presence. Pretty soon, all deer visiting your bait pile were doing it after dark-after legal shooting hours. I also discovered that when deer were feeding on acorns, they won't hardly even look at your bait pile. I quit baiting after 3 years, wasn't worth the effort and never did shoot a deer while hunting over one. I do still hunt edges of cornfields and near acorn trees- kinda like baiting I guess only less work.

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:27 AM

Here, You could always hunt cropfields(with Permission). I know many places like Texas & Canada have huge areas that using bait is the only effective way to hunt and that's appropriate for sure. It is probably appropriate for these areas in PA also. There's just something magical about stillhunting your way along hardwood ridges up in the mountians of PA. It's a personal choice but I'd rather see 1 deer and maybe a hunting buddy or two a day, than 20 deer and and an orange army of Suburbanites. I must be getting grumpy in my advancing years :lol: !
Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:59 AM

I too have tried the baiting thing in Kansas where it is legal. It seems to work much better for turkeys than it does for deer. My son-in-law even has a feeder attached to a drum. When it goes off the animals just come a running. I have seen droves of songbirds, fox squirrels, raccoons, turkeys and a few rabbits. I believe that the little food plot he has is a better magnet for the deer.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:01 PM

Here in Missouri baiting is illegal. You can put out food between seasons but it must be removed, or gone, 10 days before season opens. If you're caught hunting over a spot that's baited, even if you're not aware it was there, your busted just as if you put it there yourself. My son and I almost had that happen. We were hunting on a state wildlife area and were headed to our favorite food plot. We happened upon the local Game Warden on the way there and stopped to talk with him. When we told him where we were going he informed us that they had busted somebody for dumping corn out there. Legally speeking, that made that particular food plot off limits to hunting for the period of 10 days after the corn was gone. If we hadn't seen the Warrden, and was caught hunting there, we could have been arrested, lost our hunting licenses, and privleges, and hit with a hefty fine. Needless to say, we were bummed. Like Paul, I believe a food plot is the best bet and it's my opinion, also like Paul mentioned, that deer prefer natural foods and will pass up something unfamiliar to them as long as a natural food is available. They do allow you to put out salt and mineral blocks though and sometimes they do draw deer to them though never as good as they advertise.

Edited by Spirithawk, 14 June 2006 - 01:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users