No replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

Colorado Hunting Guide Gored by Bison Story link 10/6/2009 Last Saturday, a 48-year-old hunting guide was gored by a bison that had been shot by a client near Shadow Mountain in Colorado.

Cole Campbell was taken by helicopter to a hospital for treatment after receiving puncture wounds in his elbow and buttocks from the bison. His co-worker, Johnie Filveck, said Campbell was recovering from the injuries at an Idaho Falls, Idaho hospital on Monday.

Hes doing great, said Filveck, who was guiding a client for Double Diamond Outfitters and Drag n Tag with Campbell. I talked to his boss whos there with him in Idaho Falls and hes got seven broken ribs. Hes pretty bruised up and hes got a big ol hole in his buttocks, but hes going to be OK.

Filveck was the guide during the trip and Campbell had been along to help with the horses. Filvecks client was attempting to shoot a large bison with a pistol.

The client shot the bison three times before it fell over. Campbell and the client walked over to the bison while it was still alive to get a killing shot, but the bison got up and charged Campbell.

The client shot the animal with the pistol until it ran out of ammunition and then shot it fatally with a shotgun as the bison was standing over Campbell.

It could have been a lot worse, Filveck said. He could have got the hunter.

After Campbell was evacuated by helicopter, Filveck and his client packed up the bison and headed to a meat processor.

Filveck plans to guide several more bison hunts until the end of the season in January.

Were getting smarter, though, he said. We wont go up on them like that. I knew not to then, I was shouting for them not to, but the excitement of the deal just overrode them. It was pretty spooky.

My impression of a bison is one of the utmost respect. They are very hard to put down even when you do hit them in the right spot.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users