17 replies to this topic

#1 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

Me and Frank boarded early Sunday morning for Denver..we were heading for Wyoming , pronghorn opener on Monday morning. We waited a lonnngg time for this day to come! We arrived 7:30 am, hungout with family all day, off to dinner to meet up with Marty (hunting resource's one and only-Bonecollecter)
Marty set us up on to hunt on a friend's ranch. After dinner, we headed back to Marty's where he shows us pictures of antelope he'd seen while scouting this ranch-needless to say , we didn't sleep that first night!! It was a crisp 30 degrees when we entered the front gates of the ranch. "Speed goats" were running everywhere!!! The rut was on! We probably seen 800 antelope our first day! We weren't 20 minutes into the ranch,(we were slowing cruising the main road-glassing the rutting goats as they ran all around us) when I spotted a "shooter'-I kindly offered the opportunity to Frank (this was a trip I set up with Marty initially a few years ago, so Frank could fullfill a longtime dream of his). Frank returned the courtesy of allowing me the opportunity since I spotted him-as me and Frank went back and forth-the goat was getting further away!
It was on...I went after him! this goat was home free as he rounded a hill a few hundred yards away. I loaded up and headed his way. The ground was crunchy with frost, I had Marty and Frank in tow. The goat coud not see us cause he was on the other side of the hill. All of sudden , the antelope came running around the left side of the hill-charging his 'would be intruder" that is trying to take his does! Immediately I drop to the ground in a prone position! My bipod was in position, I looked over the goat for a second in my scope, making sure to identify him as the same dominant buck that was gathering his harem of does moments before.He was facing me at 285 yards, staring me down! I quickly put the crosshairs at the base of his neck and squeezed! Down he went. As we approached, I was feeling alot of anxiety-hoping it was the same antelope that ran from us earlier. He sure got bigger as we approached! We measured him that night(Marty is an official scorer for SCI).With one tip busted off and hooks that were well worn from the rut fighting, he still made Boone and Crockett record books with a solid 85" of horn!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Less than an hour on the opening day , my hunt was over! We hunted the rest of the day, glassing for a big antelope for Frank. Our standard had gotten pretty high by now, but Frank finally had an opportunity at a trophy at 2 in the afternoon! With a well planned stalk , we managed to get within 350 yards. Frank hits him and the goat goes down! After much hollering, me and Marty go to get the 4 wheeler unloaded to pick up Frank's trophy. Only to find out the goat had somehow gotten up and run off! Amazing! We spent the rest of the day looking for him to no avail. Frank was fustrated.
We went out the next morning, a crisp 22 degrees, finding another trophy goat bedded at the base of a steep drop. Off we go, going around the hill to get the wind in our favor.We climb to the top, locating the goat to our left. Stepping away from the edge , we shuffle to our left for about 75 yards and peer over the side...there he is, 400 yards in front of us. Frank steadies up the bipod, grazing his back on the first shot! Now the goat is running , Frank pulls another on him, hitting just inches behind him! Tough deal! Trying to reassure Frank that he done exceptionally well considering his chosen caliber of rifle, crosswind and distance, I could see he wasn't taking it well... As we are walking towards the truck on the other side-some antelope were running up hill towards us(probably from hearing our shots). Immediately we drop to the ground, I could hear Frank simutaneously working the bolt as we go flat on our stomachs! He is looking for blood now!! Posted Image
A doe passes, then a buck, then a bigger buck...boom! Frank drills him at 210 yards.
Posted Image

Marty and Frank
The next day was spent checking out the local hangouts and wildlife, along with some of Marty's old hunting grounds.

Posted Image">
little too late!!
Posted Image
elk mountain...always snowing, always covered in big bull elk!hint , hintPosted Image
Posted Image">
who's that scruffy mountain man!?
Posted Image
Marty couldn't have been a better host-sharing your home and catering to us like long lost family. Thank-you "fatty man"-we had an incredible time! Memories to be remembered for a long time! We are looking forward to you coming down to Texas for our opener!....oh, and we'll take your offer for next year. Frank has some unfinished bizz-nezz to take of! Posted Image

Edited by sticknstring, 10 October 2009 - 06:15 PM.

#2 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:05 PM

You guys are always welcome in my home, un-conditionally. I will have this no other way. Just bring your guns everything else I have you will need.

I have some better pictures of the big bruiser(84-5/8" SCI) as well might help everyone to know he was 16-1/2" inches long with just under 7" bases. I promise this buck will net over BC minimum. My hunt will start next weekend but I have seen one on here that will go 90" I am confident. We still have 2 Big big bucks that I have been watching, one of em Frank knocked down but took off showing no worse for where I still think he grazed that buck right on the back of his head knocking him out cold. He had no issues moving and mingling with females while I was watching him the Swarovski's later that day that buck will score every bit of 80" SCI

He will be in trouble in a week or next year whatever fate has in store for him.

Thanks to both of you for making my year, Hally and I sure enjoyed having you guys here. We are counting the days till next year. Whip will also hopefully be hunting elk in here so I will have a great year next year.

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:15 AM

Congratulations to you guys. Most of all thank you to da Bone for your hospitality and showing a couple of flatlanders to the hunt of a lifetime. Great looking trophies too. I personally have never hunted pronghorns but had the opportunity to watch a record book lope in New Mexico just grazing away at only about 50 yds from the main highway. A local that stopped also commented that this buck would go near 20 inches and would likely die of old age as it was on private land where noone hunted. Man those big ones gets your blood a pumping.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 10 October 2009 - 07:19 AM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:16 AM

You guys are always welcome in my home, un-conditionally. I will have this no other way. Just bring your guns everything else I have you will need.

I have some better pictures of the big bruiser(84-5/8" SCI) as well might help everyone to know he was 16-1/2" inches long with just under 7" bases. I promise this buck will net over BC minimum. My hunt will start next weekend but I have seen one on here that will go 90" I am confident. We still have 2 Big big bucks that I have been watching, one of em Frank knocked down but took off showing no worse for where I still think he grazed that buck right on the back of his head knocking him out cold. He had no issues moving and mingling with females while I was watching him the Swarovski's later that day that buck will score every bit of 80" SCI

He will be in trouble in a week or next year whatever fate has in store for him.

Thanks to both of you for making my year, Hally and I sure enjoyed having you guys here. We are counting the days till next year. Whip will also hopefully be hunting elk in here so I will have a great year next year.

BC

16 1/2" with 7" bases! What a BEHEMOTH antelope! Correct me if I'm wrong Fatty but to put that antelope in perspective I would categorize that antelope as being equivalent to a 190" whitetail. In other words BIG BIG BIG!

Congrats Tony my friend that's a world class trophy no doubt about it!

Frank congrats on your first antelope. That's a bigger pronghorn than some folks who hunt them every year have taken. Missing antelope is part of it. I know you're a darn good shot and that experience had to rattle you. I'm very happy your hunt didn't end on that note!
Posted Image

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

Congrats ya'll, sounds like ya'll had a blast.
Semper Fi

#6 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:03 PM

Frank and Tony out messing around, I think I was eating beef jerky? I have about 100 pics at least of bucks we passed on and some were well above average but we really had this place scouted and I knew what we could see

Posted Image

TX folks trying to be sneaky in 22 degree weather at 8200ft

Posted Image

Tony's 1st pronghorn, we have maybe created a monster????

Posted Image

Frank and Tony with Tony's pronghorn. 16-1/2"/// 6-6/8" bases- SCI 84-5/8"
Posted Image

Frank and Tony with Frank's 1st Pronghorn but I promise not his last. he has always got a place to hunt in WY

Posted Image

BC

Prostaff.jpg

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:57 AM

Magnifico hunt, two high fives guys to your absolutely great bucks you two took. Man they are gorgeous specimens. And Marty those are some of the best gene pools you have there that I have seen for a long time. My advice to you --- Posted Image keep it a secret. LOL
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

. My advice to you --- Posted Image keep it a secret. LOL

That will not be an issue. I am very good friends with the owner and he will not allow any any hunting in there. I worked for him for 2 years to get in there and him and I are tight to begin with.

I will continue to help out and he said I can continue to hunt and take out 1 or 2 goats per year. I can live with this exchange.

I take my taking friends out serious and I owed Frank and Tony big time so I made sure it was as it should be. It was a big weight off my thin old shoulders to square up. I still owe them IMO so I need to start working on something else as well.

BC

Edited by bonecollector34, 11 October 2009 - 10:43 AM.

Prostaff.jpg

#9 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:43 PM

Wow Guys! Looks to me like You all had a great time, nice harvest.
Congrats to all and thanks for sharing Eh
PS.nice to see Ya again Tony!!!!!!Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Woody, 11 October 2009 - 02:47 PM.

Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#10 swamphntr

swamphntr

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Photography

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:05 PM

Great pronghorns fellas. Congrats.

#11 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:02 AM

Posted Image Simply awesome story guys....huge congrats and those pics sure could cause a few of to have some sleepless nights !
Posted Image

#12 Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

IT WAS A BLAST...I love Wyoming..It's a gorgeous place..

I've been hunting most of my life but this was a dream come true. As a kid I used to wake up at 6:30AM on Sunday to watch my hunting and fishing shows. It all started with a great pronghorn hunt that televised on a show called Outdoor Life. They hunted speedgoats on the open prairies out West. I was so impressed with the beauty of the pronghorn and how the tv host couldn't get in close to make a shot. I imagined my brother and I on a hunt like that using swales and hills as cover to creep in on one. I liked how marksmenship played a huge role in success of the hunt.

It was a dream come true to be out there and give it a go. Fatty put us on some monster goats and it was as tough as I dreamed it to be getting in on them. My first 3 attempts were beyond 350 yards. I made the mistake of using my 243 out there in BIG country. Even though everyone told me it was to light I persisted cause I've been so succesful with it here in TX. The wind made things real tough. I finally was defeated and settled for a smaller goat that made the mistake of chasing a doe 200 yards from me. That 200 yards was so easy after those longer angled shots. He is a really nice one and I am proud of him. This makes a future hunt even sweeter. I'm so looking forward to a long shot across the praries with a more appropriate rifle. This is what make the hunt exciting. Gonna be a slow year lol.

Many thanks to Fatty man. He's a true friend.

Edited by Wac M Trac M, 12 October 2009 - 12:21 PM.

#13 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

Breath taking photos! Tony, Frank, Fatty, congrats on an awesome hunt together. That's what's it's all about! You guys rock!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#14 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

IT WAS A BLAST...I love Wyoming..It's a gorgeous place..

I've been hunting most of my life but this was a dream come true. As a kid I used to wake up at 6:30AM on Sunday to watch my hunting and fishing shows. It all started with a great pronghorn hunt that televised on a show called Outdoor Life. They hunted speedgoats on the open prairies out West. I was so impressed with the beauty of the pronghorn and how the tv host couldn't get in close to make a shot. I imagined my brother and I on a hunt like that using swales and hills as cover to creep in on one. I liked how marksmenship played a huge role in success of the hunt.

It was a dream come true to be out there and give it a go. Fatty put us on some monster goats and it was as tough as I dreamed it to be getting in on them. My first 3 attempts were beyond 350 yards. I made the mistake of using my 243 out there in BIG country. Even though everyone told me it was to light I persisted cause I've been so succesful with it here in TX. The wind made things real tough. I finally was defeated and settled for a smaller goat that made the mistake of chasing a doe 200 yards from me. That 200 yards was so easy after those longer angled shots. He is a really nice one and I am proud of him. This makes a future hunt even sweeter. I'm so looking forward to a long shot across the praries with a more appropriate rifle. This is what make the hunt exciting. Gonna be a slow year lol.

Many thanks to Fatty man. He's a true friend.

Yep, the light low ballistic coefficient bullets absolutely stink in the Wyoming wind at long range. I've been screaming this for years. Trajectory is repeatable, the wind is your true enemy. A fast flat shooting cartridge doesn't mean crap when the wind pushes your bullet around with ridiculous ease. Why is it that so many folks don't believe this? It's the truth folks! Dang-it please listen! Frank please tell everybody I'm not nuts for insisting this point.

Btw, you got a darn nice antelope in spite of your self imposed handicap. Doesn't work out that way for a lot of folks. I'm sure you appreciate it!
Posted Image

#15 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:11 PM

We were out this evening and sure enough the rut was dying off but lots of bigger bunches of antelope mingling among the new 12" of new snow in the region.

Wasn't long before we spotted a nice antelope running with another big buck way off in the distance. We began a long stalk and tried closing the distance to a reasonable shot. Muddy, wet and cold we got to a ridge over-looking a valley where there were about 75 goats. We saw the 2 we were looking for and re-adjusted the distance to 425 yards, proned on the bipod and wind was low tonight.

I shot and hit him very well, he began running in circles and I shot again-a miss. The 3rd shot anchored him-gotta love a harris bipod

Really nice buck and I cannot honestly tell you which one was bigger they were very close but he gave me the angle and shot and I took it. 82-5/8 SCI

We have 1 more tag left to fill on antelope and our antelope season ends till next year, we will be out there Sat and Sunday looking for 2 or 3 specific bucks-we shall see

BC

Prostaff.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users