2 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

Just a couple years ago, Jason and I were camped out for the local managed muzzleloader hunt. There was a guy camped next to us that had a beautiful flintlock rifle and I made it a point to strike up a conversation with him. He seemed really nice and one of the things he showed me was a climbing stand be built himself, out of wood. You couldn't have paid me to try using that stand. Well, later on his buddies arived, they got to drinking and we had to jump their cases for being loud and obnoxious late into the night. The next day, Jason and I were sitting in camp working on that evenings strategy when this guy's buddies showed up. They asked if we'd seen him. Well he didn't show up all day so that night Jason and I volunteered to help the rangers search for him. We found him around midnight. He had fallen out of his home made tree stand early that morning, fell 20 feet, and landed face first. He had broken every bone in his face and had spent the whole day underneath his stand in a seriouse daze. He didn't even know his own name. They had to airlift him out and we never heard if he recovered or not. Booze the night before, a home made stand that was less than stable and lack of a safety harness cost that guy pretty dearly. Personaly I stick to ladder stands. I like their stability and to me they are the safest stand you can use. But no matter what kind you prefer, common sense is a must!

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:36 AM

I recall a near disaster with a hang on deer stand many years ago. I placed the stand about 15 feet up and climbed up one evening. I needed at least one more step but did'nt have it. As I got up to the stand I checked the hookup and it appeared solid. I had to try to access the stand from a little too low and when I got nearly into it the bottom kicked out. I caught on to the stand with my left arm and held on tight. Yep you guessed it no restraints. Infact the only restraints available at that time was the belt around the waist. I finally got my foot on a step and made it safely to the ground. The only other tree stand available was the baker climbing tree stand so I bought one and went home and promptly took a sledge hammer to the hang on.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:21 AM

The above stems from this thread.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users