Ordered Fiber

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

Well today I ordered the new fiber for my sight pins. about $17.00 for the fiber, tubing, and shipping. Not too bad considering that replacing the sight would cost me about $70..... or MORE.. The way I ordered it I will get 4pieces of fiber if I remember 1 red, 1 blue, 1 green, and 1 orange. Each fiber is 3 ft long, rather than cut them down, I am going to route them inside a piece of protective tubing around my sight, and figure out from there where to route the remaining fiber. I'm gonna keep it full length to capture as much light as possible. I'm also considering rather than just flaring the pin end of the fiber flaring the opposite end as well to allow it to capture more light. If anyone has any knowledge on this subject I would appreciate any additional input that anyone may have.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 10 October 2009 - 08:20 PM.

Semper Fi

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

I left my fibers about 12" long. They ran to the back of the sight bracket and stopped. No joke, the pins were so bright in daylight that I kept a small piece of electrical tape stuck to my sight to put over the ends of the fibers to tone them down a bit. So, 3' might be nuts. You'll definitely need to keep something with you to tone them down. But, dusk and dawn should be awesome.

You may want to consider looking at a way to just wrap the fiber around the outside of the pin guard multiple times and then covering over it with some clear packing tape, perhaps. You might not even need the clear tubing.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:10 AM

Jere, I appreciate that.... Dusk and Dawn are part of what I was thinking about as far as keeping them long... I know how brittle or fragile the fibers I have now are..... i got the .010 so I could make sure and get the end flared just enough that my sight pins are back to .019 rather than the .019 which probably wouldn't fit through the hole in the pins. that is one thought that I would make sure everyone takes into account... I noticed yesterday that the fiber for my 20 yd pin fell out.... so I know it's time to replace them..... I'm thinking it through, and I am gonna look at them inside the house just with ambient light and see how bright they are... if they're as bright as in broad daylight I should be good. My vision is horrible particularly in low light situations... so if the pins prove to be too bright I'll trim them down, but I do want to keep them the full length until I make sure they're gonna be bright. When the new fiber comes in, I'll post pics of the process and explain it step by step so we have a reference for replacing the fiber on sight pins. The web site said about 7 days for shipping time so I' m thinking it might be here next Saturday or a week from tomorrow. We've got a good camera so I should be able to post some REALLY good pics.. I think I'm gonna leave a loop on the back side of the pins rather than trying to get it to follow the back of the pins like the origional equipment... that might prove a bit too tricky with my current experience level with it.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 11 October 2009 - 09:14 AM.

Semper Fi

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:49 AM

I have replaced CJ fibers with both .019 and .010 diameter fiber optic (in original .019 pins). Truthfully, the .019 fiber is a perfect fit and always my first recommendation. The .010 needed a dot of superglue to stay in the pin. (You can't really flare out the tip large enough to fit the pin properly without negatively impacting the light-gathering properties at the tip of the fiber.) The main thing that I took away from the experience is that the head of the pin (the actual metal ring that the fiber slides through) is still the same size regardless of the fiber diameter you use. So, even though you've dropped down the fiber diameter to try to gain a more precise aiming point (more accurate longer range shooting) the pin itself still obstructs just as much of the target as it did before. For me, I went back to .019 fiber. A buddy of mine still preferred the .010 though. Diff'rent Strokes... :)

I did not bother to form the replacement fibers to the back of the dogleg pin shape. (I left them in a small "loop", as you say.) If you did want to shape them, forget about using a lighter like they suggest. (That works well for basic bends, but not an intricate forming.) Instead, use your microwave to boil some water in a coffee mug or something. You'll be able to dunk the fibers in there for a few seconds and shape them just about however you want. I'd actually run them through the pin and dunk the whole pin then just press the fibers right up against the pin. Once cool, they should hold the shape.

Have fun! I actually took a good bit of enjoyment in knowing I did it myself. I saved lots of money and was blown away by the difference in brightness.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

Jere, I was thinking that the .010" was what CJ used initially because the diameter of the fiber inside the end of the pin was .019 after flaring...... though now I guess I stand corrected LOL next time I will get the .019" But since I have already ordered the .010" I'll have to use them..... I'll know next time. Thanks for the guidance and I'll be sure to post the pics
Semper Fi

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

Well, pics turned out horrible, fiber turned out acceptable..... I don't thnk I did bad for my first attempt, As Jere predicted, the .010" was too small, I managed to get the .010" to flare enough to stay in the pin but it was tough. Next time I'm ordering the .019" and I'll get a magnifyng glass to help me see so I can work with the fiber a little better, I also managed to learn a few tricks for gettng the fiber through the clear tubng. picked a bad tme to work with it seeing as my right contact was bothering me, and trying to haze over... I was also really tired and the house was abuzz with activity so I kept having to stop every few mnutes and let dogs out or back in, Fix a sppy cup for Luke, etc...... Next time I'll wait untl I'm home ALONE LOL But I learned alot, found out today that I was charged LESS than the origional quoted price on the website.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users