• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

A couple of months ago I bought a backstop target that would stop my crossbow arrows. It was a yellowjacket bag type target. I found out after I bought it that you cannot shoot broadheads into it. This morning I went to my local gun/archery shop and bought a yellowjacket broadhead target which I can shoot either field tips or broadheads into. I have not gone out with the crossbow yet for a number of reasons but man after shooting broadheads this morning I am very glad I did not venture out. My broadheads shot about 10 inches low and about 6 inches left. I am dialed in now and any deer withing 35 yds is in deep do do. Can't go out this evening but tomorrow I am planning on being out there. Here bucky, bucky.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:11 AM

Glad you are dialed-in.

Good luck!

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:49 AM

Have you actually shot field points into it?

Unless they changed them from a couple years ago, most people had to basically stand on the target and two-handed pull with all they had to remove a field-tipped arrow. (Reminiscent of pulling Excalibur from the stone. :lol: ) I didn't struggle quite that bad myself, but it was definitely night and day between field points and broadheads. I would always recommend folks buy the bag and broadhead target both and shoot the bag exclusively for field points and the broadhead target exclusively for broadheads. Both together were still cheaper than a "Block" target and tended to last longer too if used that way.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:13 AM

Have you actually shot field points into it?

Unless they changed them from a couple years ago, most people had to basically stand on the target and two-handed pull with all they had to remove a field-tipped arrow. (Reminiscent of pulling Excalibur from the stone. Posted Image ) I didn't struggle quite that bad myself, but it was definitely night and day between field points and broadheads. I would always recommend folks buy the bag and broadhead target both and shoot the bag exclusively for field points and the broadhead target exclusively for broadheads. Both together were still cheaper than a "Block" target and tended to last longer too if used that way.

X2!!!!! I would never recommend shooting field points into their broadhead target. I have and boy was I sorry. It's a work out getting one out. Fixed blade broadheads generally are not a problem but the field point get like Jeremiah explained, good choice of example when using the excaliber sword in the stone. Posted Image

The best target all round that I have found is the Rinehart 18+1 for both types of shooting. Not bad for removing the arrows from it. I use a regular arrow removal rubber grip. This target holds up longer to the broad head damage than any other target I have owned so far.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 20 October 2009 - 01:17 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:17 PM

No I have not shot field tips into the broadhead target. The broadheads start a little stiff but are not all that hard to remove. Since I have both I will not experiment with field tips in the block target. The field tips in the bag target remove very easily almost could use just two fingers to do that. I have found that the broadheads, fixed tip, sink 10 inches or more into the target and the easiest way to remove them is to flip the target so the arrow is facing up and a knee on the target and a firm grip. I am going to invest in a wrap around arrow removal tool. Heck the economy needs stimulating anyway
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users