Enjoyable Morning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

You could not have scripted the morning any better. Shortly after the sun had crested a hill to my right, spilling sunlight out over the entire clearing like a breaking wave stretching out over a beach, I spotted movement to my left. Immediately, I saw white antlers shining like a beacon through the underbrush. There was no doubt that a buck was approaching. As he continued, his nose firmly planted to the ground following the scent trail I had laid down earlier, I could not help but notice he had a decent-sized body and clearly visible eye guards. I eased my bow to the ready and waited patiently. My heart began to pound at the exact moment I touched my bow. "Deep breaths", were the words I spoke to myself and focused upon as the buck drew ever near. As if posing for a close-up, the buck stopped 20 yards away, perfectly broadside, in the open, just begging to be skewered. Unfortunately, the wrong actor had been cast for this production. This was a symmetrical six point buck and in my neck of the woods you have to see no less than four points on one side to fling an arrow. So, for now, the buck got a pass. (Not next year!)

I hung my bow back up, took a few more deep breaths, and thanked God for allowing me to witness such a sight. (I had actually briefly visualized almost the exact same thing happening when I was getting ready for bed last night. I ended up just laying there unable to sleep for an hour or so.) It has probably been three or four years since I have seen a buck of any real size within shooting range. I wish he had been a legal buck. But, I am satisfied none the less. I did not see any other deer the rest of the morning. I did, however, observe a flock of turkey cross the clearing shortly before I called it a morning. They were so quiet I did not even see them until I stood up to stretch and happened to look to my right. I do not even know which direction they came from for sure. I gave them a little voice-calling and the hens were jawing back. Boy, it's a game-rich environment.

Unfortunately, I also came across other hunters in the area. Personally, I don't mind sharing the woods, but I don't care for dancing partners, if you know what I mean. Some of these boys were getting a little closer than my comfort zone allows for. Seeing as it's the middle of the week (don't people have jobs? :lol: ) and the middle of the season, I don't expect it to get any better. So, it may just be my first and last hunt there this year as I can't exactly just decide to "go farther in" than anyone else. (Man, I felt bad only walking a few hundred yards from my truck until I saw these fellas practically hunting out of theirs. :doh2: )

Oh well.
Mixed bag.
Mixed blessing.
But, a blessing none the less.
Now I will go take a nap.

P.S. Scent drag was Primos Truth Serum.
I guess man-made deer pee works just fine.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

Very cool Jerimiah. It's great to see you out there enjoying things. You might look into seeing if you could get a permit such as I've got. It allows me to use an atv to get back into hunting areas. Actually any motor driven vehicle. I do a lot of walking still, but there's times that atv is my legs and I wouldn't be able to hunt alone without it at all. It's worth checking into bud. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 21 October 2009 - 04:24 PM.

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:11 PM

Jere, dude, you did it again..... I was sitting right beside you in that stand LOL Glad you had a good mornings hunt. Wish that buck had been a year older for ya. It's a great feeling when your heart is pounding, and you're just waiting for that perfect shot isn't it? Prolly burned a few hundred calories just by the way your heart was beating while you were waiting on him to step into view LOL
Semper Fi

#4 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

Awesome hunt Jer. Things here are starting to get a going. The bucks are chasing but the girls aren't ready. I will be out the next few days. Man I love this time of year. I feel for you bro having to share the woods with others. By the way Jer do you know anyone here from Florida? Me and the honey are headed there next week to install a pool heater for my brother who lives near Tampa. Just thought if so I would give em a jingle. You are the Man!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the work you do to keep us informed.

Steve

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

Cool story. I enjoy hunts like that and to me they make for a totally better season especially when you actually tag out. Just being out there with the whitetails is better than any day at work. Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:40 PM

Sweet Jer, nice hunt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users