• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:12 PM

No upgrade from XP to Windows 7 though. Oh well. Didn't waste any money upgrading to Vista anyhow!

Windows 7

Well there is also Mac OS and Ubuntu to consider (cheaper or free).
Posted Image

#2 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:23 AM

No upgrade for me. We just got a new computer about six months ago.

I don't mind Vista too much. It isn't as nice as XP was, but I haven't had much of an issue with it at all. My biggest complaint is Microsoft Word 2007. I absolutely hate it.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:25 AM

All the reviews are saying it's better than Vista and is worth upgrading from Vista. The XP version is still better of an OS than Vista. I will wait and see how the new OS works before I think about buying it for home. At work it definitely will be sometimes before we buy the multi-license package to upgrade the office computers on the network.

Chrud I have had my problems with Word 7 too. Mainly it just to hard finding everything on it but it does do quit a few things plus intregates with MS Publisher that I use at work.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 23 October 2009 - 09:28 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

My biggest problem with Vista is the compression. It literally takes 3 times longer to zip or unzip files in Vista over XP using the native utility. The Average Joe user probably doesn't even hardly use compression. (Though they should.) But, I use it on huge files daily. I shouldn't have to use a 3rd party app just to get reasonable performance.

Secondary problems would be UAC (User Account Control) interfering with the installation and/or launch of several programs I need to run. (But, since W7 still has UAC, that's a wash.) I'd have to say that lastly Vista is an unbelievable RAM hog. There's no call for it to have such a voracious appetite. But, only time will tell if W7 is actually any better in that area. (I have my doubts. I think it's simply the direction we're going in order to get all of the eye candy.)

I'll likely upgrade the notebook to W7 just as soon as I'm sure I have all of the necessary hardware drivers. The two desktops in this house running XP Pro will likely retire (hopefully years from now) with that still installed on them. ;)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

Truthfully I'm still pretty upset with MS for causing me to buy a new printer and scanner when I upgraded to XP.

Now there is no upgrade price for going from XP to Windows 7 and it's likely that once again when I make the switch a new printer and scanner will have to be purchased.

In essence this is forcing (all right extorting) me to buy a new system.

I'm not happy about this. At least Canon is releasing new drivers so that my camera will work with USB hook up to Windows 7. Makes me wonder if my USB harddrive manufacturer will be as charitable.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users