3 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

I was watching a hunting show the other day on WILD TV. I can't recall the name of the show, but the hunters were hunting stag in Europe I believe. They took a relatively nice stag. Upon finding the animal, they showed sentiments of admiration for the impressive antlers and majesty of the beast. Then the guide or host took the time to cut a couple branches from a nearby tree. He returned to the fallen animal where the hunter was kneeling. He explained to the successful hunter that this was a tradition in that locale. He took the first branch and dipped it in the blood of the fatal wound then tucked the branch in the hunter's hat. He explained that upon returning to the camp or lodge that it would indicate to the other hunters there that a successful hunt had taken place.

Then the guide took the second branch, dipped it again in the blood of the wound and placed the branch in the mouth of the stag. He explained it was symbolic of the last meal for the animal that had given it's life. They spoke a few words that was suposed to be a ritual for hunters of that region in showing respect for the fallen animal. I then recalled seeing something similar in a movie I had watched a few years ago. It was The Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day Lewis. At the first of the movie they slew a buck and Chingachgook performed a similar native ritual to thank the animal for the gift and to show respect. I'm not sure if in fact that is the actual native ritual, but I did a little research and it is noted that it was native culture to carry out something that in essence gave the same respectful message and to wish for more successful hunts.

I thought that was a nice touch, other than just seeing hunters focus on the head gear.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:17 PM

I can connect with honoring your kill like that, like you said it's a nice touch to shows respect for that animal you so highly priced.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:32 AM

I have seen that done as well. I have a CD made by Ted Nugent where he tells the story of a buffalo hunt where the native americans light a grass rope at the kill sight and wave it around the hunter and animal. It is a way of thanking the great spirit for a good hunt.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:43 AM

You guys make me proud to call you friends. I'm glad of your respect for the animals you hunt. The reason for lighting the rope, made from Sweet Grass, is that it is pretty much a universal belief among First Nation peoples that the smoke carries our prayers to the Creator. First we ask both the Creator and the animal hunted for a successful hunt, exsplaining that the animal is needed to feed ourself and our family. Then, upon harvesting an animal, another prayer is said asking the animals pardon for taking it's life and thanking it for it's generousity in giving of itself to feed those hungry, and for its skin and bones for use in clothing and tools. If interested, I made a seperate post exsplaining the ancient beliefs of my people, the Tsalagi Ani Kituhwagi Ani Yuhnwiya ( Cherokee ) . There use to be a hunting show on where the host was First Nation and he followed the tradition of prayer before and after a harvest. Haven't seen it in a long time but it would sure do my heart good to see more shows like that. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 25 October 2009 - 08:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users