Mathews Versus Hoyt

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 D.Matz

D.Matz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Snowmobiling, and riding my Harley,,and most important. the look on my kids' face when they catch a fish or are with me when I get a deer.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:21 PM

New to archery and want other peoples opinions than just my friends and the pro shops..What bow would be best fitting, and user friendly for someone just getting into bow hunting, a Mathews or a Hoyt???? Please help..Thank you!

Also this site is awesome!!!!

#2 D.Matz

D.Matz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Snowmobiling, and riding my Harley,,and most important. the look on my kids' face when they catch a fish or are with me when I get a deer.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

I posted this in Bowhunting also ( sorry I am a newby) I am new to bow hunting and before I buy a bow I want to know what this community thinks about the so called better bow or what you guys think would be the best fit for a Rookie, i am a 30" draw and 60 # this is what I was shooting at the proshop. any help will greatly be appreciated before I spend a chunk of money..Oh, I really enjoyed shooting the Monster over the Reezen and the Mission sewries bows, as I said I am a rookie so don't know what to look for...Thanks again and thanks for this great site!

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

Honestly both companies make great bows and pro shops that carry them offer excellent support for beginning archers.

I strongly urge you to try before you buy. One may fit you better than the other and as a result you can just shoot it better. That's the one you should get.

Later on when you decide you want to upgrade try both brands again. You might end up switching brands because a new model fits you better.

Of course there are other great bow manufacturers out there than just those two. One of those might fit you even better.
Posted Image

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:30 PM

Welcome to Hunting Resource.
I merged your two topics to make everything easier to keep track of.
A lot of us still start topics in the wrong forums. (We have a lot to choose from.)
So, it's no big deal. The staff just moves them to where they need to be.
That's what I pay them the big bucks for. :lol:

I've owned bows from both companies. I've shot for both companies. (Hoyt National Staff in '06 and currently Mathews Factory Staff.) I've also owned BowTech (shot a Constitution for indoor spots not too long ago), Martin, Bear, Jennings, PSE, Pearson and a whole host of other brands. In my humble opinion, you're talking about the two finest bow manufacturers in Mathews & Hoyt. From the performance to the fit & finish of the bows on down to the warranty and customer service, you're in good hands with each.

Obviously, I have my preference. It sounds as if you have already shot a few bows just kicking the tires, so to speak. So, I'd likely ask what you like about each so far. I would also ask what your focus is. Speed? Smoothness? A blend of both? I would also recommend that you wait a few more weeks as the 2010 Mathews line-up should be released by then. At that point, you will have a few more bows to go test drive. :D

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

Posted Image

#5 D.Matz

D.Matz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:32 PM

Jeremiah,

Thanks for consolidating my topics...I really liked the way the Monster felt as oppose to the Reezen, and the others I shot.. One reason inparticular I am leaning toward a mathews because the Mathews dealer is 10 miles from my house and I was really impressed with the time he put in to explaining and setting up bows for me to shoot and not rushing me along oh and the deal on the Monster was good too. and if I bought the whole package he would throw in arrows...I realize there are several other manufactures out there but with the reading research and buddies I narrowed it down to the two..As far as what I liked about the Monster is it just felt better to me personally when I was shooting, the absolute main thing that I am looking for is FORGIVENESS as I am a rookie, however you may also agree with what I am thinking " Since I have not been in Bow hunting and or acustomed to a particular bow or how it shoots I believe what ever I decide on and practice with I should be alright, do you agree??? Also is $ 725.00 decent for a Monster?? Thanks alot for the info. and thank you for your time and efforts in this site! Hats off to you!Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:02 PM

In general, I'd be screaming that a newby archer doesn't have any business whatsoever looking at a 6 inch brace height bow which the Monster is in fact is! I've owned many bows in my life that would be misery with a 6 inch brace height to shoot.

However, some of these new model short brace bows actually ARE very shootable. You actually shot the Monster and liked it. That's a great sign! If a bow doesn't work for you, in my experience you will know within the first couple shots.

Typically, short brace bows are really difficult for newby archers to shoot comfortably. So if you get there right off the bat with the Monster, that's a good thing.

MSRP on the Monster by itself is $899. A package deal for $725 including arrows is very good.
Posted Image

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

Price is going to vary by region and other factors. Mathews actually likes their retailers to stay within a range (not out of trying to "price fix", but just to keep some normalcy so nobody has to deal with things like, "How come my buddy a couple states over got his bow $100 cheaper than me?"). Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen. Some retailers flat out try to undercut everyone. So, even though I used to work at a Mathews/Hoyt shop, I couldn't really hazard a guess at what a fair price really is in your area. (Other than to say if it's below MSRP then I'd say you're doing good.)

Truthfully, a good pro shop is every bit as valuable as a good bow, my friend. If the Matty shop folks are treating you right then don't fight it. Any warranty work on either brand you buy will have to go through the shop. (You can't deal directly with either Mathews or Hoyt for that.) If a limb ever splinters, or anything along those lines, replacements only come as quickly as your shop orders them. I hear of more people complaining, "Mathews or Hoyt or fill in the blank still hasn't shipped my warranty parts. I've been waiting a month and I'm furious!", only to find out that what really happened is the shop employee(s) never called in for the parts when they said they did. Whatever you do, keep these things in mind. You may never have to use your warranty, but if you ever do the integrity of the shop you deal with is every bit as important as the manufacturer's.

Enjoy the heck out of your new bow, whatever you end up buying. We'll be waiting to hear what you went with and we'll definitely be here waiting to help with anything you may need as you move forward into the world of bowhunting.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

Posted Image

#8 D.Matz

D.Matz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:41 PM

Thanks a bunch guys, I will be returning to the Mathews shop on Tuesday to shoot again to firm up my decision. I will let you know.

#9 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

Hey MATZ.
I'm like Jer. I shoot a Mathews, I had an awesome shop set me up with mine. The bow I shoot isn't even produced any more and short of the Reezen, I don't know if I could justify the money to upgrade as of yet. I have an LX. It is fast, smooth. solid at the wall. Drive tacks. ( first 2 robin hoods I shot ,were with a bow that I owned for one day ) 14 years of shooting up till then and had never had one. first day I owned my LX did 2 the same day.

Now...I've owned Bear, PSE, Martin, Mathews and Hoyte. My wife shoots a Hoyte. They are with out a doubt good bows. I've not owned nor shot a bow tec but lots of guys love them.

You however touched on something very important and that is the bow shop. When I went to buy my LX the Mathews Outback was the newest and greatest bow out there. I walked in and said I want an Outback...here is my draw length and this is my draw lbs. Don the owner looked at me and said come back on thursday, I won't sell you a bow tonight.
WHY?
Cause you know you want a Mathews, you don't know which one !

Yes I do I want the Outback....

Come back on Thursday, be here around 4:00.

At 9 that night I was walking out the door with a fully set up Mathews LX. Don set up every bow he had in the Mathews line up for thursday. What bows he didn't have in his shop, he found guys from Leagues that he borrowed there bows. He had me blind test every model out there. against the bow I was shooting already.

The 2nd bow I ruled out was the Outback. ( not because it was a bad bow, it didn't fit my physical characteristics ) It came down to the LX or the Conquest. I picked the LX only because I wanted a hunting bow vrs a range bow. the LX has a shorter axle to axle.

Now with all of that. IF you have found a bow shop that is willing to take time and work with you. help you find the bow that fits you. Not try to sell you something because that is what they want to sell. YOU SIR have found a jewel of a bow shop and yes I would trust those people. Part of the reason for buying either a Mathews or a Hoyte, is the warranty. That is as good as the shop. or the company.

find the bow that picks you. that is the bow you want. find the shop that time doesn't matter, a properly set up bow and a happy customer does...and that is the shop to buy from. Brand won't matter a whole lot.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

Welcome Matz. There is some very good archers on here so ask away.

Ok the new line of bows are being introduced this month by Hoyt. The lineup of Mathews is coming out next month a week away now. The Mission line did bring their new bows out this month. If it where me I would wait and look at the 2010 new bows instead of looking at 2009 bows.

That price on the Monster is a good price Matz. I like my Monster but it is a challenge because of the shorter brace height. Shorter brace height bows tend not to be forgiving because the forgiveness comes from a weak form of the archer. Good form and the Monster can be a great shooter. I have good days with my Monster and I have my bad days like any shooter does, any shooter that is telling the truth. LOL
It's a fun thing and a tough decision going to buy a new bow. I like sighting in a new bow and getting to shoot it in. So if you have any questions about it ask away.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#11 D.Matz

D.Matz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

Well guys I found a great deal on a Hoyt Alpha Max Bone Collector Edition and really liked the way it shot, thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users