6 replies to this topic

#1 Hammerforged

Hammerforged

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, SCUBA, Smithing, Sporting Clays, FITASC

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:29 PM

Decided to do some recycling today. This was an old Nicholson Black Diamond Radius File from my Gravure printing days. I think I will do a Para-Cord wrap handle on this one.

URL=http://forums.huntingresource.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=761]Posted Image[/URL]

Edited by Hammerforged, 26 October 2009 - 01:33 PM.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

In my opinion, although paracord handles are very functional they just look cheap. In a custom knife it just wouldn't be what I'm looking for. I personally can envision that blade with a diamondwood handle as being alot more appealing.

I might be wrong but for what it's worth that's my opinion.
Posted Image

#3 Hammerforged

Hammerforged

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, SCUBA, Smithing, Sporting Clays, FITASC

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

The only reason I am considering the Para-Cord is due to the "teeth" remaining on the body of the knife. With the "teeth" still in place it would be next to impossible to prevent moisture build-up under the handle scales, if I were to completely remove the "teeth" then the tang area would be too thin for any strength. I guess I could have done a hidden tang but then it would have lost pretty much all resemblance of it's former self.

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

The only reason I am considering the Para-Cord is due to the "teeth" remaining on the body of the knife. With the "teeth" still in place it would be next to impossible to prevent moisture build-up under the handle scales, if I were to completely remove the "teeth" then the tang area would be too thin for any strength. I guess I could have done a hidden tang but then it would have lost pretty much all resemblance of it's former self.

Now I understand, makes sense. I didn't think about them actually being raised. The "teeth" would actually lend themselves to being a better base for the paracord.

I'd like to see how it turns out!

Edited by Leo, 26 October 2009 - 06:21 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:37 PM

I don't know... When I look at that I see a "tactical knife" which, to me, almost begs for paracord.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:46 AM

May be the odd man out but I think it looks darn good as is without the Paracord or anything else. Personally if I had something that looked like that I'd put it out on display as is.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 30 October 2009 - 05:46 AM.

Semper Fi

#7 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

Looks real good, Ross. What about using an epoxy putty for the handle? Then you can form it to your hand, and do the final shaping of the handle to whatever you like. There wouldn't be any moisture getting under that. Paracord will look good too, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users