9 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:46 PM

I made what I think was one heck of a trade today. I traded this, my .50 CVA Plains Pistol ( Which I paid $70 for ) I also threw in everything needed to shoot it. ;

Posted Image

This is what I traded for;
A CVA Hawken .50 Flintlock, in like new condition, with an EXCEPEPTIONALY nice fancy grade walnut stock. I've never seen one with a stock any where close to as nice as this one. I'm wondering if someone ordered it special or had it made custom. Any thoughts? Paul, whatcha think buddy? YEP IT"S A FLINTLOCK! .50 cal :) Be sure to tell Eric I now own one! :rofl: I don't think I'll polish the brass. It's taken on a aged tarnish that gives it a really mellow look that blends well with the colors in the stock. The pics don't come near doing this very sweet little rifle justice!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 28 October 2009 - 01:55 PM.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:16 PM

Posted Image

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

SSSWWEEETTTT Norm!!!!
Would you trade a week's worth of mowing/ yardwork/ turkey hunting for it....if so I'll tell Paul to get his work gloves ready!Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 MyShootinStinks

MyShootinStinks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Hunting with sidelocks, Civil war, camping

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

What a beauty Spirithawk, Ya done real good.:clap:

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

You definately got the better of the trade. That is one beautiful flintlock. I have never seen a CVA or any other production rifle sporting that beautiful of a stock certainly not a CVA. Most of them have a very plain hardwood stock. I have never seen where you can special order what you want from CVA. According to My one firearms manual CVA does/did have a presentation grade hawken they say sports a fine grain walnut stock but it does not show a pic of one. Yours does not look like a fine grain walnut stock so I am guessing it is an aftermarket stock. That is not bad as it makes it into one beautiful rifle. The presentation grade CVA does have an engraved lock though.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

Posted Image Yep, looks great Spirit. Now go and kill around 15 deer with it and you will be close to what I've killed with the ones I've used. Posted Image Posted Image

I also hope it sparkes better than the one I barrowed back when I was a kid, Posted Image that gun wasn't worth anything. Now get out there and make the smoke fly.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

Thanks guys.

Eric, it sparks great. Posted Image

Paul, thanks for the info. I've looked at several CVA Hawkens on line and every one of them has a very plain lock and hammer. Just smooth metal with no sign of any decoration at all. This lock is obviously much nicer. Would be interesting to know the story behind this rifle but the fellow I got it from was not the first owner. Also, notice the frizzen? It looks to be stainless steel rather than blued.

Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 28 October 2009 - 05:36 PM.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

I have never seen a presentation grade Hawkens but the description in my book says ...an engraved lock, patchbox, and finely figured stock. That may be what you have. The frizzen looks like it has been replaced but possibly not.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:28 PM

What a beautiful rifle. You made a heck of a trade. I was looking at new flintlocks at different sites today and ones I bought years ago for next to nothing are now over $400 new. I wish I had bought more of them. That should be a real nice rifle to shoot. Actually it looked like they took one of the Traditions high grade replacement frizzens and replaced it on that rifle. My Woodsman has the same frizzen. And they are good sparkers.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#10 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:57 PM

If you decide that you don't like that smokepole, Norm, I'll give it a real good home! Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users