2 replies to this topic

#1 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

i have decided to change from pyrodex powder to 777 powder, i now use 80 grains of pyrodex. if i use 80 grains of 777 how will my bullet impact change?, i don't want to use too many shots as powder and bullets are getting higher all the time. i now have my optima shooting dead on at 100 yds with pyrodex, i checked with hodgen and they reccomend dropping the charge down to 65 with 777 to make bullet impact the same. i would like to know from ya'll that have made the switch to 777 and how ya'll did, it seems 65 is a little light and besides my measure only goes in 10 grain increasements so i could drop to 70 if thats true. thanks for any help.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

OF I do not use either Pyrodex or 777 but have read a lot on them. Now 777 powder is 15% stronger than pyrodex. That means to get the same power as Pyrodex you have to reduce the 777 powder load by 15% . Now when using the pelletized version of each they are equal. If my math is correct 15% of 80 is 12 so a load of 68 grains would be the precise amount. If it were me I would try the 70 grain load with 777 powder as it should hit very close to the 80 gr load of pyrodex. The 80 gr of Pyrodex is equivalent to 80 gr of Real BP which is what I use. I killed a doe this fall at 40 yds. She was head on to me and ready to bolt. I hit her in the bottom of the neck and the bullet traveled all the way to the rear leg well over 34 inches of travel and expanded from 45 cal to over 66 cal. I would say your 80 gr of pyrodex or 68-70 gr of 777 powder will get the job done. Switching from 80 gr of pyrodex to 68 or 70 grains of 777 if anything will give you a little higher group but then again you may not notice any difference.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

i have decided to change from pyrodex powder to 777 powder, i now use 80 grains of pyrodex. if i use 80 grains of 777 how will my bullet impact change?, i don't want to use too many shots as powder and bullets are getting higher all the time. i now have my optima shooting dead on at 100 yds with pyrodex, i checked with hodgen and they reccomend dropping the charge down to 65 with 777 to make bullet impact the same. i would like to know from ya'll that have made the switch to 777 and how ya'll did, it seems 65 is a little light and besides my measure only goes in 10 grain increasements so i could drop to 70 if thats true. thanks for any help.

Try 70 grains of 777 powder and you should be real close. The difference is 10-15% difference. Be sure to check it at the range. Personally I like Pyrodex RS powder better then Triple Seven. I'd rather spend five additional minutes and shoot Pyrodex RS. Also when shooting 777 pay attention to crud rings. 777 likes to form a hard crud ring just above the breech plug. Swabbing will take care of that. Granted Pyrodex RS has a crud ring, but it is much softer.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users