6 replies to this topic

#1 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:45 PM

i just got thru cleaning my muzzleloader after sighting in 777 powder. i found a little rust in my gun nothing bad just light spot or two, i have used bore butter for years cause it was made for muzzleloaders. i have heard recently that its not the best for a muzzleloader and if not used just right it will cause rust to form. i went to my gun shop earlier and asked them, they said absolutely to not use any regular gun products in a muzzleloader. they said to use non pretroleum cleaning products, and bore butter or a natural rust preventive. i have used barricade for years in my other guns and none have any rust issues, will it be ok after cleaning my barrel to put barricade in it to prevent rust? thanks for any help.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:15 PM

If you shoot real black powder (e.g. Goex) then, yes, I like to say stay away from petroleum based products. However, Bore Butter is junk, IMO. (I've never not had rust problems when using it.) Shooting Triple Se7en, I fail to see where they're coming from, actually. But, all of that aside, I switched to Hoppe's Elite last fall and haven't looked back. (Not Number 9... The Elite has no petroleum distillates.) They have it specifically for black powder. I actually shoot Goex out of my flintlock and haven't had any excess fouling. If anything, loading is easier with it than when I used Bore Butter. There are a couple things I do that may make all of it a non-issue, however. First, I keep an old film canister with denatured alcohol soaked patches in it. Before I ever load/shoot, I always swab the bore a couple times with those alcohol patches and then follow with dry to remove any gun oil that may still be in the bore. Second, I have always swabbed between shots, just for the fun of it.

The only thing I still battle is finding the "best" patch lube. (As I've gone back to shooting patched round ball.) Bore Butter and Crisco tend to turn to glue in colder temperatures while "moose milk" type products tend to dry out (the alcohol evaporates) in the bore the longer the hunt lasts. Ideally, it would be something that is pasty, yet snotty, that has a very low freeze point. I just haven't found it yet.

For what it's worth, I have read of individuals using Barricade in their muzzleloaders though I've never done so myself.

Cayugad will likely be along shortly and turn everything I said on its side, but that's okay. The man knows of what he speaks. One would be wise to heed his words. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

I have been hunting with a muzzleloader since about 1976. This was before bore butter was even on the market. Have always used real BP for all my hunting. Have always recleaned my muzzle loader with modern gun solvents without any problem whatsoever. I also have always used a quality gun oil as a bore preservative for storage. I also always run an alcohol patch down the barrel before loading. When shooting at the bench I have a ritual I follow religiously. I run a wet alcohol patch down the barrel followed by two dry patches to clean the oil out. I then go and fix the target. I come back and proceed to load the rifle and shoot my shot. I then immediately run another wet alcohol patch and two dry ones down the barrel. I go check my target and come back and reload. I follow this procedure no matter how many shots I take. Even in the field if I have time I do the same thing. I want my gun sighted in on a clean barrel as that is how I go hunting. Besides I feel far more comfortable letting the barrel loaded till the next day and hunt again. I feel very uncomfortable doing that on a fouled barrel. I absolutely do not use bore butter for anything but patch lube and not even for that very often. The only time I had any evidence of rust inside my muzzleloader was the one and only time I used bore butter. Bore butter claims to season your bore but my barrels are made of steel not iron and is most certainly not a skillet. I have not had any problems at all when I use a modern solvent or modern gun oil in any of my muzzleloaders. Of course this is what I do and is my opinion only and you are free to use whatever you want.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

Petroleum based products and black powder and substitutes do not mix. That's a known fact. They make a tar like substance that is a pain to remove from the barrel. That's why I remove them from the barrels before I shoot. Now don't get me wrong. I protect my bore with Sheath a.k.a. Barricade. But before you shoot, or load, take a patch and apply some isopropyl alcohol to it. Then swab the bore with that. The alcohol will remove any traces of the Barricade. Then a dry patch or two and the alcohol disappears by itself. Once you pop a cap, musket cap, or primer or two anything in the barrel is burned off, and the breech plug or bolster channel is fouled and carbon coated. You can now shoot all you want, on a clean dry, wax free barrel. Even swabbing with alcohol is not a problem. It will remove fouling, and then a dry patch or two and it is all gone. It works great on traditional rifles where water based cleaners for swabbing can sometimes cause a hangfire or misfire.

I used to use bore butter. I had problems. An old fellow that taught me tons about Muzzleloaders found out I was using the bore butter and told me that it was the problem. I removed it, and never looked back. I clean my rifles and then coat the bore with a quality gun oil. Just remember to remove that oil before you load.

The main thing is use what you feel confident with. Develop a routine for protecting your rifles and follow it. If you want to wax your rifle's bore I have no problem with that. After all, it is your rifle and not mine.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:28 AM

thanks ya'll i did intend to clean the oil out before i loaded and hunted with my gun. i just needed to know if after i clean for the day if barricade will be a good oil for my gun. i know it works great for my other guns, but the gun shop i go too said no and use bore butter. i really could'nt see the differance from one gun to another, as long as i had cleaned it good i thought any good gun oil would be ok. thanks to everyone for the help you really help me out alot, thanks again.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

Sheath or Barricade by Birchwood Casey is a great oil. I used it for years. Feel free to use it. But just make sure you swab it out before you shoot next time. As for Bore Butter, that is the last thing I would put down my rifle. Now granted some people use bore butter and have great luck. As long as it is in their rifle, I could care less.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#7 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

yea i'm not gonna use bore butter in my bore any more, i wonder if it would work as a breech plug grease? i'll stick with barricade for my gun oil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users