2 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:10 PM

Thought this might come in handy. Would be great in or next to a food plot. No better time than now to get started and, at least in Missouri, minerals are not considered baiting. :yes:

Ingredients: Makes 200lbs. for about $23.00.

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00. You need one bag.
2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications. Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00. You need two bags.
1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt. Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00. You need one bag.
Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.
-Mix all together well but not untill ready to use. Keep ingredients seperate untill ready to use.
-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.
-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year after that.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:38 AM

Thought this might come in handy. Would be great in or next to a food plot. No better time than now to get started and, at least in Missouri, minerals are not considered baiting. :yes:

Ingredients: Makes 200lbs. for about $23.00.

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00. You need one bag.
2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications. Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00. You need two bags.
1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt. Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00. You need one bag.
Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.
-Mix all together well but not untill ready to use. Keep ingredients seperate untill ready to use.
-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.
-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year after that.

A couple comments on that recipe, that might help Spirit.

1. I've found the deer don't seem to like the "Feed" grade Di-Cal at all. A biologist buddy of mine says it irritates their stomachs. He suggested I use "Fertilizer" grade Di-Cal instead. He's right. It's usually cheaper and works better.

2. We also talked about using the Trace Mineral salts. Apparently, the trace salts for cattle don't do deer too much good so save your money.

3. I've used plain old rock salt before in the mix it works good. So does Water softener salt. ;)

Deer will not touch Di-Cal by itself. It's gotta have salt in it. At least 2 parts salt to 1 part Di-cal is minimum to get them into it. You're better off to have too much salt than too much Di-Cal.
Posted Image

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:59 AM

Cool Leo. I got the recipe from a friend and haven't tried it yet so thanks for the info. :yes: One thing I've done many times in the past, that I know works, is to fill an old nylon with rock salt. Hang it from a limb too high for deer to reach, keep in mind they stand on their hind legs to reach stuff. Each time it rains the salt will leach onto the ground. An old timer told me that by doing so the deer get a good taste of salt, but not a lot, therefore they keep coming back more often. I've had them paw big holes in the ground underneat said set up. and the salt will last quite some time. keep in mi9nd you need rain, which is something rare around here lately. ;) :lol:

Edited by Spirithawk, 16 June 2006 - 12:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users