Final Details

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:07 AM

Well all, i sent off for a copy of my long lost Hunter's Ed card today, so between that and my overtime, and pondering over the gear i need to purchase, i'm beginning to get everything ready for E3, the only thing that can really stop me from making it to E3 now, is an unavailability of OT.. I'm excited to say the least :D I have been looking forward to this since last September. I'm prolly gonna be running the hills the first couple of days there because of the pure adrenaline rush of just being there. :lol: But i'm sure it will catch up with me soon enough.
Semper Fi

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:59 AM

terry:
gear list

1) good hiking boots. ( hikers not hunters )
2) hydro system. I prefer the wally world mini back pack with a 1 liter water bladder. ( I have spare hydro?s if you prefer to not buy one )
has the supply tube that runs up the shoulder harness you just bite down on the end of the tube to open it up and draw water.
3) good topo map of the area they will be hunting.
4) gps
5) Motorola talk about ( or I have spares ) if you need help...you can get help. suggestion...get the ear piece so that when someone calls and your on full draw on an elk...only you hear jack screaming LARRY SHOOT THE BEAR NOT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't want the elk hearing that.
in your pack...
high energy snacks. hard candies, granola bars ( personally I like the peanut butter slim fast bars ) cheaper then energy bars and when you read the contents they do the exact same thing, give you a blast of sugar to take away the hunger cravings.

section of rope
basic first aid kit
blister kit ( new skin and moleskin)
I don?t care if its an over size hefty bag....have some sort of light weight rain gear.
a high mountain storm that brews up in 10 mins...can really put a hurt on you if your soaked to the skin and its a 2 mile hike out ( that water is ice cold )
spare batteries for you
range finder , gps, radio and digital camera.
I bought a converter and put a charger in my truck.
another trick is those solar yard lights...get rechargeable batteries. find some old solar lights at a yard sale...take the light part off.. you now have a solar battery charger
charmin makes a back pack toilet roll, its a mini roll of tp, its in a plastic dispenser. keeps your tp from being destroyed in your pack. cost all of 37 cents per roll. couple of those and you?ll be set.

the list is in order of importance with the exception of the tp...that goes to the top
we don't have a lot of oak trees to use old leaves for paper up here. pine needles hurt and pinecones...leave scars.

Edited by McBruce, 16 June 2006 - 09:10 AM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:06 AM

I'm prolly gonna be running the hills the first couple of days there because of the pure adrenaline rush of just being there.

:lol: Hey terry, we'll just put you with Jack for the first day. When you come back with your feet worn off at the ankles, that'll slow you down a mite. :blink:
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:29 AM

Bruce hmmm an excuse to buy new hiking boots??? :evil: hehehe, and i've been wanting a Camelbak for a while, yet another excuse ;) i've already got a 2 way and it is a motorolla, don't know the exact name though, and it does have an ear piece can't afford GPS, so i'll have to get a map, and just use a compass LOL, how much rope? and what guage? i can get a poncho pretty cheap that'll take care of the rain gear, my radios don't use batterys they have chargers, i'll have to find somewhere to charge them up... the TP is a given LOL and as far as the candies, i dunno, might have to stick with the slimfast bars exclusively LOL

Larry as excited about E3 as i am, i'll bet even if my feets are wore down to the ankles, i'll still have a big ole smile on my face ;)
Semper Fi

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:19 AM

Terry:
I have a spare gps. its simply a matter of showing you how to set a way point and how to do a back track.

true story. I was using my gps and had hiked 2 hours into back country..up over a ridge that we had been scoping days before. I knew there was elk there. I didn't want to carry all my gear so I dropped my pack, set a way point with my gps ( marked the way point as backpack) and off I went.

I had my range finder, gps, optics and bow. I dropped down over the ridge and started working along looking down into draws and such. well off to the north of me another ridge intersected and made a saddle. Since I was in the timber and coming across the face of IVY ( name of the original ridge ) I didn't notice that I had crossed the saddle and was working across the face of Tenderfoot mtn.

This is when things got really exciting. there is set of stair steps. dropping down and a huge meadow opening. around the edges of the meadow are mulberry bushes. Thick and NO WAY to get through them without making a sound.
I'm on one of the ledges looking out over this meadow and I see the body of an animal ( just its back ) move on the other side of the mulberry bushes. Now its head is down, huge big body and when I lifts its head....one of the most awesome mule deer?s I have ever seen.

My heart is now in my throat. Here I am sitting in the open and the biggest mule deer I have ever seen is 60 yards away. It took me close to an hour of belly crawling, scooting, waiting for him to turn his head away so I could move, and I closed it to inside 50 yards. I'm now behind a small spruce tree. The deer laid down in the grass and is just laying there watching all around him making sure he is safe.

as I am getting ready to knock an arrow and pull up on draw, I hear a snort. what the heck. I'm frozen, slowly turn my head, and there is a nice fork horn coming down the stair steps heading directly to the meadow I am looking at. he is 20 yards directly behind me. Now he didn't spook, he just snorted at me. As I turned to see what snorted I saw something else move and to my left at 90degrees out is a very nice 4x4 ( in any other situation I would have been tickled to take that shot ) so....I am busted by a fork horn, I have a 4x4 at 30 yards to my left broadside to me, and I have the buck of a lifetime at 45yards directly in front of me. Now the 30 yard broadside is a chip shot. the 45 yard shot to a deer laying in its bed....hmmmm that is tougher...but I shot out to 60 yards and can put an arrow in a 3 inch circle at that range. .......
My choice was for the trophy. I pulled on back stepped out set the pin where I thought it should be...40 yard pin...lift up to adjust for the extra 5 or 6 yards.....the trophy deer has gone alert laying in his bed...he is looking straight at me. I squeeze the release and off goes the arrow. ..... (Clipping a mulberry branch) and it drops inches in front of the deer dead on line for his vitals.
All 3 deer bust and go.
I swear I haven?t taken a breath in 5 mins.
its an experience I'll never forget. ....

ok now it hits me....I've been moving for a couple of hours. I haven't had a drink and man do I know have cotton mouth...time to go back and find my pack.
I hit back track gps.... and I swear...that darn thing doesn?t work. its taking me up hill....I head straight up and find the top of the ridge...but its saying I'm 1.2miles from my pack and going the wrong way down the face of the slope not on the ridge. I left my pack on the ridge.
when I finally found a clearing and could get my visual bearings. I saw what I had done. crossing that saddle.

but I would have sworn my gps is wrong.

now keep in mind...this is an area i have hunted for years. I thought I knew it like the back of my hand. apparently not :)

its very easy to get turned around when up in the mtns.
treat them with respect and pay attention to what you doing and where you are going.
always keep in mind to look backwards while you are hiking. know what your land marks will look like when coming back out...not just going in.

the excitement of the hunt can make the best of us forget those things
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:59 PM

ohh and to finish it...I used the gps to take me back to my pack... all the way back I knew that darn thing was wrong. Once I got to the spot ( keep in mind a gps will put you with in about 20 ft of where you mark a point ) I knew I was in the wrong spot. I finally set the darn thing down and started working out in a circle. about 10 yards on the side of a tree sat my pack right were I had left it.

Last year a number of us had serioues issues with them, don't know if it was the area we were hunting, a problem with the signals or what. But I know if I head out hunting in the mtns.
My bow
my release
my optics
my range finder
my gps.

that is the bare minium.

Oh and hiking boots. :)

I've tried all diffrent kinds , brands, styles.
the Asolos are good boots, but don't break correctly for me.
hopefully Robert is getting good use out of them LOL.
Tecnica feel like slippers on your feet, the first time you put them on.
but won't last for 6 months with daily wear. ( I won't buy another pair )
I am now wearing Lowa Renegade II GTX mid height.
takes about a week of wearing daily to get them to feel right, a month to be completely broke in and ready to go. I actually went back and bought a 2nd pair
I was so impressed with the first pair. And will start breaking those in...here in another month or so, that way they will be ready for season.

check out Sierra Trading Post. they have some really top end boots on close out prices. might save ya some money.

Seirra Trading Post

Edited by McBruce, 16 June 2006 - 02:03 PM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:14 PM

Bruce, i've had good experience with Georgia Boot Co. I'm hard on boots(to say the least) i have a pair of work/hikers (steel toe hiking boots) that i have had for a year, the worst thing i have done to them is graze the side of them SEVERAL times with some of the sheared stainless steel which is about twice as sharp as any razorblade i have ever seen... and they seem to be holding up good, i'm prolly gonna get me another pair for E3 just not the steel toe.. wanna save a little weight. :lol:
Semper Fi

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:09 AM

Terry,
You can get an excellent daypack"Redhead from Bass Pro" with a hydration chamber & attachments for under $30. It doesn't come with the bladder itself but you can get a 2 liter bladderset-up from Wally World for $9 ($13 at Bass Pro for a 1.5 L). I had 2 along at E2 in case one ruptured if Larry or Jack knocked me over running from a bear. I'd start the day with a full one and pack a couple of smaller water bottles along also. Then in the afternoon I'd be ready to swing through camp and replenish my supply for the afternoon & evening. Believe me, you'll need to stay hydrated up there....the air will dry you out in a hurry! Take a tube of chapstick along & unscented sunscreen(can't stress this one enough). The ruffians also advised taking some rolaids along as it helped stave-off leg cramps. Lots of great joking about flatlanders at this altitude but there's real good advice at the bottom of the kidding. We listened to the western folk and none of us had any difficulties at all. Sure wish I was able to make it :( . It will be something you will cherish for the rest of your life! :boone:
Posted Image

#9 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

Phil, i have my NAHC life member pack, and it can carry quite a bit and rides very well, i can simply attatch a camel bak to the outside, or i can slip the bladder down in the big side pouch, i plan to pack light in my day pack, but bring all the things i REALLY need for a days hunt along. I'm getting in practice on the weekends shooting 3-D tourneys. They had an Elk on the Known Distance range that was set at 41 yards, i 8ed it, but i would have collapsed both lungs, i just shot a little too far back. I might just make sure i bring an extra pair of undies each day, just incase i get charged by a bear LOL. I'm really excited about getting out of Arkansas for a while, and getting to meet some of the really nice folks that frequent this sight :D
Semper Fi

#10 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:11 PM

the camel baks are nice...but I honestly don'tthink worth the money, unless your running the iron man or something.
save the 50 bucks and buy the 9 dollar one :)

gives ya 40 extra for bear spray LOL
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#11 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:30 AM

Bruce, i REALLY appreciate the offer of the GPS loan, but i'm definately gonna have to learn how to use one LOL... as far as the camelbak, i think i'm just gonna buy a bladder, and stick it in the side of my pack, i have a side pouch that would hold one perfectly. as far as the bear spray, it might end up being a muzzy/gold tip brand LOL might pick up a can of pepper spray to go with, but i'm gonna be ready with the gold tip just incase..
Semper Fi

#12 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:25 PM

Make sure to carry some means to detect wind direction. Out there it seems to constantly change, but at least you can keep up with it from time to time. The chapstick that Phil mentioned is a good idea- last year I borrowed some made for faces too. Really helped prevent wind/sunburn.

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

Not to be outdone, I got my license and tag too. I got my rusty ah er trusty compass with 4 norths on it, my elcheapo wally world daypack with bladder, a couple of them 12 mile walkie talkies, a borrowed GPS that we know nothing about yet and a rifle to sight in at 200 yds so I am almost ready. Now let me see which way is it to Colorado?
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#14 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:38 PM

********the list is in order of importance with the exception of the tp...that goes to the top we don't have a lot of oak trees to use old leaves for paper up here. pine needles hurt and pinecones...leave scars. ***********

Leaves scars?? I hope your not talking from experience. :lol:

#15 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:40 PM

Ive heard HUCK SCREAMING off on a distant mtn peak.

yep that was a pine cone scream.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users