#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:10 PM

I have to write a huge paper in English class and we are typing it in school all through the month of November. It has to be about 14,000 words. I plan on using a flash drive to take my paper from the school computer and work on it at home. The problem is that our home computer has Microsoft Works. Will I be able to take my paper written with Word and open and edit it with Works? If I can't, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks!
-Eric

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:32 PM

Works usually has Wordperfect as it's word processing program. You usually can't open Word documents in Word Perfect.

You'll have to check what version Word Perfect you have and then do a Save As to save it in that format in School. Then you should have no problem.

When you do the Save As in MS Word, there will be an option under the filename box that says "Save as type". You click the down arrow next to that box and select the version Word Perfect you want.

Hope that helps.
Posted Image

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:23 AM

Another possible step to alleviate the problem is to install OpenOffice at home. It's a bit bloated and hardly perfect, but it is free and allows you to open and edit most any MS document, spreadsheet, database, powerpoint, etc. If configured to do so, it can also save documents in specific MS Word formats. (So you could go back and forth from home to school without issues or file extension worries... In theory.)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the help!

I did some experimenting today and on MS Word 2003 there is an option to save as Works 6.0 and 7.0. I saved my paper as that, put it on my flash drive, and pulled it right up on the home computer with Works.

Thanks again.
-Eric

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:23 PM

That should work for you. It might even work if in fact it's Word Perfect which is what some bundlings of Works uses.

The best practice is to check the Help->About section in each program if you are going to use multiple platforms with different programs. Versions are important but you still might have problems if the saved as version is more up to date than the other. If you do still have issues save down one version less than your computer at home ;)

I'm telling you this in case you run into the oops it didn't work scenario.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users