Your Choics

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

I've owned 3 shot guns in my life.
Ithaca 12 GA pump. ( left at home when I went to college, don't know what became of it )
Browning 12 Ga pump ( gift to my nephew )
Remington 870 Express 12ga pump ( my current shot gun and have owned it for close to 20 years )

I was talking to a local guy who has his FFL and I've purchased a couple of pistols from him in the past and am thinking of doing some horse trading on one of my pistols and one of my rifles. Mike was interested in seeing what I had to trade in and what I might want.

I've always wanted a nice over and under 12 Ga. But I have not kept up on what is out there. I know Ruger has some nice over and under as does Browning.

I don't want a skeet or trap gun, I want a field gun.

I prefer short barrel lengths, they seem to fit me better.

So from all of you who are big into the shot gun world... what would you suggest I should look at or where to start my search.

Thanks

Bruce
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:21 AM

Bruce,

I have a Winchester 101 in 20 ga. 3". It's a field grade with 26" barrels in IC and Mod. It's probably my favorite shotgun to use. It fits so well with my eye to rib perspective, is light to carry, looks nice (lends itself to that "Gentleman Jim" effect) and I like the fact that it's in 20 ga. I've even used this gun on canada geese and it has performed excellent with 3" magnums with steel shot. I was even able to keep up with my son and my best friend and they were using semis.

When I go goose hunting with my son, he uses my Remingtom 1100. I've had that shotgun since I was 15 (1967) and it has some emotoional ties as my dad gave it to me. I've always liked semis and prefer them over the pumps. In the 42 years that I've owned it, I've only had 1 misfire and that was a result of using reloads. Semis take some TLC in so far as cleaning and oiling after use more so than other actions. I will admit though, that with semis, you tend to get into the habit of pulling that trigger "1 2 3" every time.

If it was me, I'd be looking at the O&Us or even a side by side. The side by side would be just a nostalgic thing for me I guess. Most of my shotgunning is restricted to a goose hunt once every fall and grouse hunting whenever I can put my bow down. I used to hunt hungarian partridge when I was younger, but haven't done that in years. Ruger makes a nice gun, but has little flair for engravings and such if memory serves me right. Good quality gun though. Barretta also has some nice O&Us, but can be pricy.

Whatever your choice, one thing is for sure, it's always a great feeling to get a new toy!

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

Recomend- Browning Featherlite 625 Field grade O/U. You didn't mention uses, but you have said in the past about having relatives in South Dakota, I would think that the opportunity for a pheasant or two might arise. I have a Browning Citori O/U 12 ga. which shoots 3in mags, 26 inch barrels with mod/ imp cyl. great gun for grouse, ducks-geese over decoys, pheasants over pointing dogs. When choosing barrel lenghts, a 28 inch O/u is shorter overall than a 28 in semi auto/pump. My gun also shoots slugs like a champ, anything out to 80 yds is in trouble. At the skeet range, mod/ imp cyl is perfect, at the trap range, I wish it was Full/ mod. Brownings arnt cheap, I call them "lifetime" guns. If main use will be for pheasants, i would pick the 28 inch Full/mod. allows you time to pick close flushing birds up, get on them, and do an un-hurried shot.

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:57 PM

An O/U will recoil a little more or a little less than a pump depending on model.

IMO your two best choices are the Browning Citori and the Beretta Onyx. See which one feels best to you.
Posted Image

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:39 PM

A buddy has the browning citori
and when we went shooting, he hated it.

handed it to me and was drilling clay after clay.
to bad he won't sell it....

I just sold my kimber....now need to call mike ( gun broker ) and between the cash and my ruger 243....I should end up with my own citori ;)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:26 AM

I'm not into shotguns,but need one for home security.I'm steering towards a 20 guage,short barrel................Good luck on your find...............
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

Ain't shotguns funny that way? My dad's old side by side S&R fits me like a glove while most everyone else can't hit crap with it. It's a bit embarrassing to walk out of the gun shop with a Mossberg Reserve when you were planning on buying a Blaser F3. But, at the end of the day, the fit of the gun is what matters most. (Perfect example is your friend... He is missing out on good shooting for the sake of having an "expensive" shotgun.)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:31 PM

Hey Bruce, maybe talk to Bev. She had a couple of really nice O/U's when you guys were out here. Too bad her's were lefties or you could try them out. Anyway, she has a lot of experience with them and could probably steer you in a good direction.

So Kim's gone, huh? Sad day.... But the purchase of a new gun will ease the pain. (I know you had no special feelings at all for that pistol ;) )

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk that I like but just never use. I wonder what Mike would give me on trade toward an M1A1? It's got a Leupold/Gilmore red dot on it and has the original case and so forth. Could you drop a hint to him and let me know what he says?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#9 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

Sure not a problem Larry. I'm still waiting on the transfer of the Kim. I like the gun, just not love the gun. I know you love yours. I have the same feelings with the S&W, M&P compact. I'm more accurate with it then I ever dreamed of being with the Kim. good gun...yea...but for the money...wasn't meant to be for me.

I've already shot the Browning Citiori 26 inch barrel and fell in love with it. It fits like a glove. so I'll stick with my 44 mag and the 40 compact. maybe someday pick up the 40 full size...not sure, and invest in a very nice shot gun :)

I hear pheasants calling :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users