2009 Wisconsin Archery Whitetail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

Things finally came together this morning. The weather was going to take a major turn for the worse this weekend, at least it would be bad for bow hunting. Temperatures were in the upper 30's this morning with clear skies and a lot of fog. According to AccuWeather, the temperatures were supposed to rise quickly and be in the 50's by 7:00 AM. The high in Antigo, Wisconsin today is supposed to be in the middle 60's.

I was sitting by my food plot again, actually thinking back to last year. This was the weekend (actual date was November 8) when I killed my biggest buck to date. I heard some movement to my west, but couldn't see if it was a whitetail moving because of the dense fog. After a couple minutes passed, the deer stepped into sight. It was a small spike, but if he gave me an opportunity I wasn't going to let it pass. Time is running out and the weather is not good. A spike is well below my standards for a whitetail buck, but my standards went out the window this morning.

The spike entered my food plot and was munching on some of the Buck Forage Oats under an apple tree. He started to walk to the northeast, which would offer a shot opportunity. He passed a down tree and was in the open at 21 yards. I drew my Mathews Switchback, gave a soft grunt to stop the buck and let an arrow fly.

I could tell it was a really good hit. The buck turned to and ran towards the southwest. He stopped on the far edge of my food plot, about 40 yards away. He ran a couple more steps and then crashed. The buck ran maybe 25 yards after the shot. This was the first animal I've shot with a 3-blade broadhead, a Muzzy MX-3 to be exact. I was very impressed with the performance. The blood trail was amazing.

Here is a picture of him. I said earlier that I was thinking about the buck I shot on November 8 last year. I shot that buck at 6:46 AM. Today, I shot this spike on November 7, 2009 at 6:38 AM. It is definitely nice to have some meat for the freezer.

Posted Image

Edited by Chrud, 07 November 2009 - 12:55 PM.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

I love it when a plan comes together.

Matt's in the lead! :P

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

:D

Did you notice that sweet 808 Bowsling on the Switchback? :thumbsup:

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

Good shootin! That's fine photo too of you and your buck. Congrats! Enjoyed the hunting story and yes 808XT makes some great bowslings, got one for each my bows.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 VicMc

VicMc

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

Coolness buddy! just got through loading up my 4 wheeler for the weekend hunt. :)

"Good Luck and Good Hunting"

#6 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:38 AM

Nice job Matt!

Congratulations.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users