2 replies to this topic

#1 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

i have had several threads on here about my optima, so far ya'll or cva have help straighten them out. this time i have question about barrel to frame tightness, when i take the forearm off and hold the stock tight there is a slight movement side to side.i can't see it but can feel it just a little, there is no up and down movement. with the forearm on there is no movement, i tried my other optima the one i've never fired and its the same way. with the forearms on they are tight but take the forearms off and there is slight movement. is this normal?, i contacted cva again and they said its ok to have movement with the forearm off, but it should be tight with the forearm on. have any of ya'll tried your's to see if they are tight with the forearm off? i'm not talking about a lot of wobble but if i hold the frame tight there is slight movement with the forearm off. thanks for any help.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:57 PM

Pretty common on break action firearms. That tang that grips the barrel to the receiver is pretty narrow and just doesn't have the width to resist much side to side torque. If you put an oversized pin in the receiver that tightens things up because now the barrel is bearing more on the firing pin face of the receiver versus being controlled solely by pin fit. The action also gets significantly harder to close if you do this. With the forearm on, now the forearm takes the majority of the torque and it stiffens everything up. The firearm action is still easy to open and close.

In short, I'd say yes it's normal (I don't like it either) but there really isn't much you can do (that I know of) without making something else worse.

The good news is it's a muzzleloader so you don't have to be as concerned with headspace issues that sometimes crop up with break action centerfires.
Posted Image

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

i have had several threads on here about my optima, so far ya'll or cva have help straighten them out. this time i have question about barrel to frame tightness, when i take the forearm off and hold the stock tight there is a slight movement side to side.i can't see it but can feel it just a little, there is no up and down movement. with the forearm on there is no movement, i tried my other optima the one i've never fired and its the same way. with the forearms on they are tight but take the forearms off and there is slight movement. is this normal?, i contacted cva again and they said its ok to have movement with the forearm off, but it should be tight with the forearm on. have any of ya'll tried your's to see if they are tight with the forearm off? i'm not talking about a lot of wobble but if i hold the frame tight there is slight movement with the forearm off. thanks for any help.

As already said, forearm wobble on break open rifles is not uncommon. I have heard others complain about the same thing. What they did to correct it, I do not know. On some of the Encores for instance they replace pins. On a CVA I have no idea what to do. Just follow the recommendations of the company I guess. I have only one forearm rifle and luckily mine is nice and tight. How does the rifle shoot would be my concern. If it holds groups, I would just learn to live with it.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users