• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 TXRedneck

TXRedneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

One 50 gr pellet seems pretty weak to me. If you use pellets I'd stick to 2 pellets equalling 100 gr. Trust me, you'll get good accuracy, won't push the bullet too fast, except maybe with Power Belts, and the kick will be minimal. With Power Belts I think it depends on the individual rifle. We've all heard good and bad about them. My son loves them but I much prefer the T/C Shockwaves. He has a CVA Optima Elite and I an Optima Pro. One thing I like about the Shockwaves is that once seated I know it will stay put till fired. In many rifles the Powerbelts fit pretty loose and that just makes me nervous to say the least. I know Paul, PA Ridgerunner, feels the same about them. You have an excellent rifle and I hope it brings you many an enjoyable and successful hunt.

Thanks! I have so far enjoyed shooting the rifle and hunting with it. I have a 11 more days of season left and i am hoping to get a deer before then. Furthermore I noticed that also about the Power belts being loose fitting. It practically loads itself. Where the TC shock waves you have to load with a little effort.

#17 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

In all but one of my rifles the powerbelt bullet almost falls down the barrel. That is way too loose for me, I would fear that during the hunt that bullet would not stay on the powder. That would create a very dangerous condition just like a barrel obstruction. From what I recall those magnum pellets claim to give the equivilant of a 150 grain load with only two pellets so shooting three of these is way overloading your rifle. If that is true each pellet is equal to about 75 grains of powder. Once you find a good powder and bullet combo you may want to stock up on each so you don't run out when the deer are running so thick you can't miss. Some folks think it is very frustrating trying to find just what your rifle likes but I really like to play around with loads and bullets so I think it is fun. Even if you don't find the right combo today you have learned some combos that don't work. When I bought my inline Cayugad suggested a load combo and it worked well. I did a little experimenting and found the rifle shot better with a heavier bullet. After starting with 240 grain bullets I am now using a 300 grain bullet and am getting great accuracy and penetration. I recall a few years ago my mom needed a new burning barrel and I have always dreaded making holes in that steel drum. Enter the muzzleloader for some serious fun. I was a bit surprised that with only 80 grains of real black powder and that 300 grain bullet I could zip right through both sides of that drum at 50 yds. The bullets traveled another 35 yds and plowed a foot long furrow in a slight bank at that distance. That convinced me that a deer was in deep trouble at any distance out to 100 yds. Here in central PA I don't get much opportunity to shoot long distances at deer anyhow.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 06 January 2010 - 09:07 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#18 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

The 200 grain are one bullet that likes speed. I shoot the 10mm 200 grains Shockwaves and XTP's in a blue MMP sabot. They are not only accurate but from some of the hunting reports this year, deadly. I talked to a guy that shot a deer at over 200 yards with a 200 grain Shockwave and he said the deer never took a step. I would stick with two pellets for them.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users