10 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:24 PM

I've been comtemplating getting a new knife and have been browsing the internet to see what's available, quality, reviews and of course cost.

I kind'a like what I've read on "Knives of Alaska", but the biggest negative would be that the cost is almost double what other knife manufacturers charge for knives with a similar function. Their Bear Cub Caping knife looks promising from a practicality prospective. I think it would work awsome caring for downed animals and caping from the looks of the blade design. They make the knife with a rubberized handle (about $50 US$) and also in a stag handle ($110 US$).

That same knife also comes in a variety of combo packs which are becoming more and more popular. I was focusing on the Jaegar/Bear Cub combo pack. Although I'd like the stag handles, they are a bit pricy at $279 US$ at Cabelas and certainly aren't as practical. The same kit is available in the rubberized handles for about $100 less I think.

The Jaegar is a 3-1/2" boning knife, and again I like the blade design for my personal handling and use.

Anyone else had any experience with Knives of Alaska that could either steer me to or away from them?

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#2 Hammerforged

Hammerforged

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, SCUBA, Smithing, Sporting Clays, FITASC

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:17 AM

Knives of Alaska make a great product. Just be sure and inspect each knife in the set before purchasing for fit and finish. Like most production houses they cannot QI every piece that goes out the door. The price for the Stag is cheap considering we can no longer get Sambar Stag here in the USA, so this price will only go up as the existing stock is depleted. This will make your knives more valuable in the long run, but Stag gets very slick when wet with blood. If you are a guide/outfitter who will be using the set a lot then I would go with the rubber handles. Just my 2 cents.

#3 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:23 AM

Thanks HF. So far I've been impressed with what I've read and seen (on the net) and think the extra few buck$ would make a set of Kives of Alaska a life long investment....and a good one too.

About the only place I can actually lay my hands on some of these knives to try how they feel, is at Bass Pro which is 200 miles from where I live. As I have a $200 gift card for Bass Pro, that's make them a prime candidate. There's a Gander Mountain about 50 miles away, but it's stateside as I live in Canada. I'll browse the Gander Mountain site to see if they handle KoA knives. If so, a road trip would seem to be in order south of the border for 'ol TBow.

Thanks for your reply.

Geoff / TBow

Edited by Geoff / TBow, 09 November 2009 - 10:24 AM.

Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:20 AM

I have a Brown Bear/Cub set, Wood/Bone Saw set, and a Jaeger all in the Super Grip (rubber) handle. Easily the best production knives I've ever owned or used. I think they'll be everything you're looking for. For "real use" in the field, I'd definitely stick with the Super Grip handles. But, that's just me.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:45 PM

Antler and bone handles are really pretty but they can develop an overpowering stink if they absorb blood. I learned this the hard way!

Treat bone handles thoroughly with mineral oil before using and they'll clean up alot easier. If you can wash the blood off before it gets absorbed into the handle that's the best bet. Mineral oil slows down this absorption process. Usually then you can clean up with anti-bacterial soap and warm water. If blood gets absorbed, the soap and water method won't kill the stink! In that case, I wipe bloodied bone or antler handles down with concentrated Lysol and let the Lysol dry on it. If it's real bad sometimes you have to do the Lysol treatment a couple times.

Dymondwood and Pakkawood are good alternative handle materials if you want a pretty knife to do a lot of wet work with.
Posted Image

#6 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. If my mind wasn't made up to get the KoA knives before, it sure is now!

Muchos gracias!

Geoff / TBow

#7 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:58 PM

O.K. I called Bass Pro today and checked to see if they carried the Jaegar/Cub Bear combo pack with the Sure Grip handles. I wasn't sure as they only listed the stag handled set, but it did show the Sure GRip set, but with no product number or pricing. The stag handled set was $279 US$. The girl at Bass Pro had to put me on hold to check and it took about 2 or 3 minutes, but low and behold, they had just what I wanted. The price was $159 US$. After S&H, taxes and customs duty to get it to Canada, it rounded off at $202 + change US$.

Anyhow, it's on the way. I used a $200 gift card that I'd received at my retirement party. Man I just love gettin' a new toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!Posted Image

Geoff / TBow

#8 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

My new toys arrived today. What can I say, "SAWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!".

It's the Jaegar/Cub set in SureGrip handles.

Man I just love gettin' new toys. It's just amazes me, that whenever I buy myself something, I always seem to get just what I wanted! Posted Image It's my "early xmas gift" to TBow from TBow!

TBow

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:19 PM

My new toys arrived today. What can I say, "SAWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!".

It's the Jaegar/Cub set in SureGrip handles.

Man I just love gettin' new toys. It's just amazes me, that whenever I buy myself something, I always seem to get just what I wanted! Posted Image It's my "early xmas gift" to TBow from TBow!

TBow

Are those D2 blades in those knives? I'd like to know what you think of D2 after putting it to some use. It's supposed to take a real durable edge.
Posted Image

#10 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:31 PM

The Cub Bear indicates that it's 440C. The markings on the Jaegar are either not there or else are under the Sure Grip handle. I checked on another site which indicates that the Jaegar uses 154CM for the blade.

TBow

Edited by Geoff / TBow, 18 November 2009 - 11:34 PM.

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:51 AM

The Cub Bear indicates that it's 440C. The markings on the Jaegar are either not there or else are under the Sure Grip handle. I checked on another site which indicates that the Jaegar uses 154CM for the blade.

TBow

I like 440C blades. Not too difficult to sharpen and takes a really good edge. In my experience 154CM is harder to sharpen but it holds an edge a really long time. 154CM is great blade material! It is one of my favorites. You can really keep both sharp much longer if you lightly steel the edge after each use.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users