What New Gear Have You Used ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

If you follow my blog you know I like to hunt deer with our crew. We don't sit and wait for them to come to us. We penetrate the swamps and thickets to drive them out.

I sweat if I just look at work. :yes: If I was a driver on one push and a stander on the next I would get cold. After last seasons cold northeast temps during deer season I made it a mission to put an end to my misery.

The answer was Under Armour. http://www.underarmour.com

At first the price scared me. I went with a top and bottom long underwear. The real test came on our annual hare hunt in northern NH. It was -26 degrees that morning. (see my blog picture) I was dressed in multiple layers. Snowshoes were the only way navigate. I did heat up. But NEVER got cold. The garment did as advertised. They wicked the moisture away from my body.

Being impressed with my first purchase I thought ahead to spring turkey season. I am a mountain turkey hunter. You can heat up fairly quickly trying to get to the ultimate listening spot before dawn. Cotton against my skin drew the same results. Stand still for a while and get cold. My answer was UA's Heat Gear. The product worked just as advertised. This season our northeast deer season has been very warm. I have been wearing the Heat Gear T shirts. I have not been uncomfortable to date.

I have been so satisfied with my purchases I tried the UA's thermal and hot weather socks. Where my feet used to look like a prune at the end of a days hunting now when I take my socks off my feet are dry.

I highly recommend Under Armour.
Your eye in the northeast sky.

#17 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

Garmin's Rhino 530 HCX

These radio/GPS units are a hunters best friend. Be it hare, deer or turkey hunting or just out for a hike this units features were made for woodsmen.

http://www.amazon.co...sl_4pm5c2qca4_b

I just got back from hunting the Maine North Woods. It is MILES between roads. And in-between are some of the worst white cedar bogs and fir thickets known to man. Each hunter had the Rhino's. Each time you key the mike it updates to the other radios your track and position.

The device can be upgraded on-line. We also have the topo maps loaded in. I have NY, VT, NH and ME programed in my radio. It shows all the features of a topo map. I saved all my ME tracks and downloaded then back in the program I have on my hard drive. It shows every footstep and road driven over laid on a topo map.

We are still exploring all the features these radio/GPS unit offer. We call them deer killing machines.
Your eye in the northeast sky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users