7 replies to this topic

#1 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:00 PM

i have two optima's that a friend wants, he has a couple of timber ridge rifles from cabela's he says he will trade plus some money. the timber ridge rifles are still in the box not fired, how good are they? i have never owned a traditions muzzleloader. he's offering his two rifles for my two rifles plus give me $150 dollars, ya'll think thats ok. thanks for any help.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

Personaly I'd not trade. The Timber Ridge is a very bottom of the line, bare esential rifle priced about $89.00 new. The Optima, being a break open, is easier to prime and, once primed, is sealed from the weather. It's much easier to clean too. Plus, I believe the Optima has the better barrel. Unless you need the $150 for something I'd hang on to the Optimas. Plus the Optimas seem to be increasing in value from what I've noticed. I'll garauntee you the Timber Ridge will not. A used Optima's price, on Gun Broker, started at $195.00 with 6 days bidding left. That would be reason enough alone for me to keep the Optima's. Plus, they're just better rifles.

Edited by Spirithawk, 10 November 2009 - 01:50 PM.

#3 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

thanks, yea the optima's are more exspensive, but mine were made in 2004 and are really heavy. i handled a new one in my local gun shop the other day and they are much lighter. i already ask the shop owner on trade but the deal he gave me wasn't good considering one of my optima's have never been shot. he said he'd give me $175 for both on trade in thats it, he said the older heavier guns don't sell good. i went to my friend to see what else we could do, the timber ridge are just basic guns but lighter and i only shoot muzzleloaders during hunting season. they are new and built good but i've never owned a traditions but since they come from cabela's i would think they would be good guns. he said the best he could do is $200 his final offer between the two guns for two guns. i told him i would let him know tomorrow night one way or another, i'm gonna check around to see some other places and what they will do. i just need a lighter gun that will get the job done. thanks

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

Just because they came from Cabelas only means you have somewhere to take them back to if they are not satisfactory. My son-in-law bought a CVA inline about three years ago and after about 20 shots it locked up and the trigger would not work. He took it back to Cabelas and they took it back no questions asked. He got another model of CVA. It was in the box and he did not look at it till he got home. When he took it out of the box the butt stock was loose. He did not have any tools to tighten it so we took it to a gunsmith. When we took it out of the box at the gunsmiths the front sight had fallen off. Back to Cabelas and they took that one too. He finally ended up with another CVA and it works well. I told him that thankfully he bought them at Cabelas but after that much trouble I would have chosen a different brand.

I own one traditions rifle. It is just about the only rifle that just sits in the gun cabinet. The bore is so tight I cannot find a bullet/sabot combo that will fit without pounding it down the barrel. I know that not all of these brands are like the ones I have had experience with but I am real gunshy on those two brands. With as many satisfied users out there the qc must be much better than it was just a few years ago.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

Why not look for a lighter stock for the Optima? That's where most of the weight savings is in the newer models.
Posted Image

#6 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:20 PM

i went ahead and traded, i checked around and most i got offered from shops were $100 each. and had some other friends that offered $150 each, and i figured that was probably top dollar on the net. too seeing how they run $199 most places. so instead of selling and buying another and be down a gun( i like two cause in case of problems with one i'll have one to fall back on) i traded so i would have two and money for supply's. i know their not as good as a optima but i just need one during hunting season and hopefully these will do. i'll shoot them tomorrow and let ya'll know how they do. thanks for all the help.

#7 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

well i went and shot the timber ridge today, with 80 grains 777 and a 295grain powerbelt. i shot two different targets after my sight in, i do like that i can keep my back sights on even with scope attached. i shot a 5 shot group on each target, i got an average 1and1/2 inch group to no more than 1 and 3/4 inch. that surprised me that a low cost gun could shoot this good. all in all i'm happy with the trade, i got a lighter gun that will shoot good enough to get me a deer, now to get the deer to cooperate Posted Image, thanks to everyone for advice.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:11 PM

Hey glad the trade worked out for you. Sounds like you are ready to go.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users