12 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

I have a couple of hunting knives with gut hooks. I have wondered what tool does ever one use to sharpen those little buggers? I have not used mine a whole lot. I do like to keep my knives sharp and if I ever get lucky and have to use that little gut hook I want it doing its zipping job.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:10 PM

Mark:
depending on the knife, I've used either a round file, ( sized to match the hook ), 2nd option I picked up at Sportsmans a round diamond steel it was a S&W product. It works great at putting an edge on a knife or on the hook. Its about 4 inches long. self contained in a plastic sheath, pull it out of the sheath and put the bottom into the sheath and it becomes the handle.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

I'm not a guthook fan. I've only got one knife with a hook and I have a ceramic rod that fits it.

If it was smaller I would probably use a chainsaw sharpening file. You can get those in smaller sizes that should fit. Those files aren't like regular round files they are very hard and brittle. For what it is worth that's what I would use.
Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

I have never sharpened a gut hook but wonder if a Dremel tool with the right size stone would work.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

I have never sharpened a gut hook but wonder if a Dremel tool with the right size stone would work.

The dremel will surely destroy the blade temper. You'll get it sharp but it won't stay that way for long. That's the problem with powered sharpeners, if you use one and get a good edge with it, better keep it handy because you'll need to use it again soon!
Posted Image

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the answers and help. I was wondering if there was a sharpener for gut hook blades made just for that blade. I have tried rat tail round files and I have a Gerber half round sharpener with a groove on the flat side for sharpening fish hooks. The Gerber works the best on the gut blade. http://www.cabelas.c...rset=ISO-8859-1

I have seen the gut hook work out great on several animals now and I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about them. Now running a drop point blade between two fingers works good too. And I have used Outdoor Edge Knives Swing blade gut blade and it did the job as it should too. http://www.cabelas.c...0889&hasJS=true

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 11 November 2009 - 11:08 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:44 PM

Mark, I bought a small knife sharpener from Wal Mart that fits easily in my pocket. It has both a carbide and a ceramic sharpener, and the reason I bought it, a small tapered round diamond incrusted file that sharpens both gut hooks and serated blades. I think it was under $10. It's called " The Pocket Pal " and is made by a company called " Smith's, The Edge Experts " and it works great. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 11 November 2009 - 12:46 PM.

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:01 PM

Mark, I bought a small knife sharpener from Wal Mart that fits easily in my pocket. It has both a carbide and a ceramic sharpener, and the reason I bought it, a small tapered round diamond incrusted file that sharpens both gut hooks and serated blades. I think it was under $10. It's called " The Pocket Pal " and is made by a company called " Smith's, The Edge Experts " and it works great. Posted Image

Thanks I have some other Smith's sharpening diamond blocks and they work great so I'll check this one out.

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

Several ways to go about it.

Best: Get a tapered diamond (or ceramic) file. These are generally sold as "Serrated Knife Sharpeners".

Cheapest: Go to a hardware store and buy a dowel rod that fits your specific gut hook well. Buy a couple different grades of wet/dry sandpaper (fine) to wrap (glue) around the dowel and sharpen away.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

Jere thanks now why didn't I think of that.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:06 AM

Thinking out of the box again Jeremiah! Great suggestion.

#12 Falcon

Falcon

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

A fine cut chainsaw file works great.

#13 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:06 AM

Why modify when you can get a quality tool specificly designed for the job at under $10? What I like about the Smith's sharpener is that I can also sharpen the regular blade plus ANY serrated blade too, all with the same sharpener, and it easily fits in my pocket. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users