2 replies to this topic

#1 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:20 AM

Heard a couple of rumours from some local gun store owners recently. One guy said that the reason ammo (especially pistol ammo) is so scarce right now is that the government is putting quotas on ammo companies. Something like this, "We'll buy a few billion rounds of your ammo for the military, but you have to reduce production to the general population." In other words, control guns by controling ammo.

#2 was that "they" (always the dark and mysterious "they") are trying to push through legislation to force ammo companies to begin using limited life primers. Again, especially on pistol and "assault rifle" calibers. This would be so that folks can't buy large amounts of ammo and then store it for future use.

Any of you guys heard any of these rumours?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:46 AM

As far as I know Larry they are just rumors. A limited life primer would be an extremely dangerous thing. It's absolutely chilling if it's being seriously considered.

I suspect most of the shortages are in reality the result of panic buying. People are buying way more than they need because they believe they won't be able to in the future. Manufacturers just can't keep up with the demand.

Lots of folks are turning back to reloading and as a result, components for that are starting to get scarce to (especially primers and certain powders).
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

Guns in general have been flying off the dealers shelves for well over a year now. As well ammo also has been going very fast too. Those two can very well be tied together. Buy a new rifle/handgun and you need ammo for it. As well reloading supplies have been either very scarce or nonexistant for at least a year. I finally found the powder and primers I wanted but it took me several months to find one kind of powder. That search included two Cabelas stores. The fear factor has definately hit.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users