35 replies to this topic

#16 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:32 AM

Ok well I suppose I should chime in here now. I just returned from my vacation and came home to find that a storm had fried my router. Well its up and running now. So here it is.

Well the wife and I are back from our whirlwind trip of the USA. It started with a donated bowhunting trip to Carta Valley(Del Rio), Texas. It was a great hunt the accommodations were primitive at best but we had a great time none the less. Saw lots of deer some exotics and a few hogs. Nothing ever got into range though. Next we took off for San Angelo, Texas to hunt with McCrea Ouutdoors. Also in attendance was Dave Watson from Mathews TV he has been a personal friend of mine for many years and Jeremiah Ross a blessed brother in Christ and the owner of HUNTINGRESOURCE.COM another long time friend and of course Kenny McCrea of McCrea Outdoors. This was another hunt that was donated to me. Just to clear things up I was wounded in Iraq. Any how we arrived that Sunday evening and we went straight to the blinds. Talk about some HUGE deer. Kenny had his eye on a huge 180' deer well we saw him wander into the blind that evening and I had him dead in my sites broadside at 20 yards but couldnt take the shot. The hunt is gonna be televised on the Outdoor Channel and the light wasnt good for the camera but great for me.
The next morning brought some colder temps, lots of deer but that big 8 decided not to show up till 8:50am. He offered me his side again at 20 I drew my Mathews SQ2 ya I know its an old bow, but cant really afford a new one so I had to use what I had, and let the arrow fly. That big 8 turned and ran and then we saw why. I shot the support beam on the Double Bull blind. I was sick and pretty ****** at myself. As I was wallowing in my self pity another nice deer came in a big 9 came in and I arrowed him at 22 yds. It was awesome and one of the best deer hunts of my life. I have never been on a guided hunt ever.

Kenny said a few does needed to be taken out so he gave my wife a rifle and let her take her first deer. Ill have some pics to upload as soon as I can find the cable to upload pics. It was a great time. After the hunt we headed back to San Antonio reload and refit, picked up the kids and we were off to Tennessee for a few days, then off to North Carolina for a few more. Got a nice fresh cut Frasier Fir and drug her back to Texas. What a great vacation. I just cant thank Jeremiah, Dave and Kenny enough. I am still on cloud nine here. It will be the greatest hunt I will ever go on in my entire life. It was awesome being back with Dave and Jeremiah again. The three amigos rode again. I was more excited at my wife taking her first deer than I was with my deer. Silly some may say, but I know in my heart of hearts that everything happens for a reason.

There was a reason I missed that HUGE 8. I guess there needed to be a good story line behind this hunt. Kind of like what Kenny said. I guess in a way it has sorta gone along with the ups and downs I have been thru since me getting wounded in Iraq and the trials and tribulations I have had to deal with. I hope to hunt with them again one day. This was truly a blessing and it really helped my mental and spiritual well being. I know I am leaving so much out but as I remember Ill post more. Jer thank you so much for this, I love you man! Dave thanks for the comic relief, and Kenny thanks for the laughs the op and the knowledge you have passed along and I am sorry for shooting your Double Bull blind. Micky that boy of yours is hoot. My goodness the food, the fellowship, the FRIENDSHIPs created and friendships rekindled were totally worth this WHOLE trip and worth the whole ordeal I have been going thru. I am still just beaming with a smile that will last for miles. I am having Brandi get my pics up and I will email pics to those whom I need to send. I know I am leaving sooooooo much out. But after an experience like this its hard to tell the whole story in one sitting.

#17 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

Ok I am a moron I cant get pics to load
Only the dead know the end of war.- Plato

#18 Dave Watson

Dave Watson

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:23 PM

Howdy folks!

Yep, we had quite the time with McCrea Outdoors and Mathews TV will feature 2 episodes of the great deer we saw and the bucks we put a tag on. It was great to see my old and skinny friend Jeremiah. He looks great! And if he can lose that must weight, I can surely lose 20 pounds! (And I'm gonna start on that right after I finish this cheeseburger!!).

Steel Rain and Mrs. Steel Rain were fun to be around. I haven't seen that much excitement about hunting since I took a ten year old out in God's Great Outdoors. Love it!

As for getting lost, only DW can follow directions and get there backwards ! Not my fault. We were following Jerm's fancy GPS on his cell phone. (Remember way back when cell phones just made phone calls?) Anyway, we ended up at Leroy's Tile and Flooring. That place might have lousy deer hunting but they do have low, low prices on carpet!

Best to all,

DW

#19 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:46 AM

Posted Image
Not only did Jer lose a ton of weight, he grew a set of very nice antlers!
Posted Image
Micky and I
Posted Image
The wife and I on her first West Texas deer hunt out in Carta Valley, Tx
Posted Image
Just a silly Iraq pic, hey you do what you can to stay sane!

#20 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:17 AM

Nah your not - just needed a little help with those gallery pictures, they are some great pictures and thanks for sharing them from your hunt. Jeremiah better be careful or someone is going to harvest that ole mature buck with a set he's wearing in that one photo . LOL
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#21 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:25 PM

Wow, I look real serious or real sleepy in that picture. Guess I need to perk up a little more. :D

I will say it again, Andrew, it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. Glad you had a successful hunt and a safe trip. It was nice to visit with Jeremiah and Dave as well.

#22 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:09 PM

Congratulations Andrew and Wife on a successful hunt and it is on film. For me I feel so good that you had such a great time. Ever since I learned of this hunt I was excited for you. So glad it worked out. Now lets see a good buck a doe and a double bull blind. Not bad, not bad at all.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#23 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:22 PM

Congratulations Andrew and Wife on a successful hunt and it is on film. For me I feel so good that you had such a great time. Ever since I learned of this hunt I was excited for you. So glad it worked out. Now lets see a good buck a doe and a double bull blind. Not bad, not bad at all.

Opps sorry I forgot to add those. Micky I think we were listening to Kenny ramble about something is actually what it was. Sorry I have no pics of the blind I was to busy shooting this buck.
Now more picsPosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 ArmyWife

ArmyWife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:14 AM

Well I can honestly say I am HOOKED now.. I cant wait to go hunting again take down another deer. I really enjoyed meeting everyone and the excitement I felt when I seen my doe go down.. It was truly awesome. Thank you to everyone involved who set the hunt up.Posted Image
I traded diamonds for dog tags.

#25 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

We really did have an incredible time. Cant wait till we get to hunt again.

#26 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

Welcome Amy. Most of us can relate to your excitement. It is like a drug high without the drugs. A word of advice do NOT go turkey hunting. It is more addictive than deer hunting as the adrenelin high can go on for minutes or hours for that matter. I cannot wait to get out there and go after those birds. You see I am addicted so do not go turkey hunting or if you do you do it at your own peril. Peril may not be the right word but you get my gist. So glad you had a great time on the hunt. One more time, do not go turkey hunting or you will get hooked on that too. Lol
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#27 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:28 PM

Awesome, awesome, awesome - love it.

Just finished watching the episode of Mathews TV. Excellent.

Sarg - smacking the tent stake - gotta love it, right? This ain't hollyweird. Awesome buck buddy.

Jer - that's a Management Buck?! Holy Cow - man what a nice deer.

Congrats to you guys. Cool story and really cool tv show.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#28 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

Really cool! What a great way to share it all!
Posted Image

#29 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

Awesome, awesome, awesome - love it.

Just finished watching the episode of Mathews TV. Excellent.

Sarg - smacking the tent stake - gotta love it, right? This ain't hollyweird. Awesome buck buddy.

Jer - that's a Management Buck?! Holy Cow - man what a nice deer.

Congrats to you guys. Cool story and really cool tv show.

Thank you, my friend. Yeah, I felt the same way. I honestly had to ask Cody if he was sure that was the buck I should take 'cause he seemed too nice. :lol: Clearly he was devoid of anything greater than G3s and, given his age and the fullness of his rack, wasn't likely to ever grow anything more. But, that's still a beauty in my book. I would take a buck like that any day just about anywhere... Especially with a bow and arrow. I can't wait to lay my eyes on him again when the taxidermist is finished. :)-

I'll tell ya though... It's hard to know for sure as I didn't see him personally, but I'm pretty sure that the buck Andrew decided to let walk would have put mine to shame. Of course, the brows on the one he did take are quite impressive too. I'd take that deer any day too! :lol: It really does just go to show what Kenny's putting on down there. 75,000 acres boggles my mind. I bet there are beasts lurking he has yet to even lay eyes on.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#30 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

Thank you, my friend. Yeah, I felt the same way. I honestly had to ask Cody if he was sure that was the buck I should take 'cause he seemed too nice. :lol: Clearly he was devoid of anything greater than G3s and, given his age and the fullness of his rack, wasn't likely to ever grow anything more. But, that's still a beauty in my book. I would take a buck like that any day just about anywhere... Especially with a bow and arrow. I can't wait to lay my eyes on him again when the taxidermist is finished. :)-

I'll tell ya though... It's hard to know for sure as I didn't see him personally, but I'm pretty sure that the buck Andrew decided to let walk would have put mine to shame. Of course, the brows on the one he did take are quite impressive too. I'd take that deer any day too! :lol: It really does just go to show what Kenny's putting on down there. 75,000 acres boggles my mind. I bet there are beasts lurking he has yet to even lay eyes on.

You guys took some great bucks, that is true. But, there are some real monsters lurking out in that brush. Oh, with all of the rain we have had lately, I am pretty confident that the antlers are going to be much better this year. If we get some moisture in March, oh man. The mature bucks could average 10-15 inches bigger!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users