17 replies to this topic

#1 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:17 AM

Blessed with wonderful friends and a humble regard, I am 1 sub-species of deer away from the Pinnacle of getting my whitetails of the world grand slam benchmark for Safari Club International.

Northwest whitetail in Alberta/Wyoming
Texas Whitetail in South Central Texas
Northeast whitetail in Michigan
Midwest Whitetail in Iowa/Nebraska

It takes 5 different subspecies for the slam

Virginia is the Northern most boarder of the Southeast whitetail. I have a good friend and owner of HuntingLife, who I pro-staff for, has asked that I come to VA to be filmed for an upcoming episode. I will be hunting for 1 buck and 1 doe, either qualifying as the same for a SE whitetail. I will not be head hunting there is a need for this subspecies and I will not let a descent buck walk like I would in WY

Remember, for SCI either gender counts towards the World Hunting Awards that Will and I have been working on for most of our hunting adventures. Huck being much further along then I, but I am chasing him.

I was also asked to hunt in KY the following weekend for a filmed whitetail hunt with one of our sponsor outfitters, unsure if I can make this hunt as I do not want to conflict with my upcoming hunt in NE with my good friend Whip. So I may have to pass on KY and do this next year.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my post, this is exciting for me as it will be my 2nd grand slam using a muzzleloader. All in good fun but also another step towards my long term lifetime goals

Respectfully
BC

Edited by bonecollector34, 01 December 2009 - 10:25 AM.

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:37 AM

Should be a great adventure going East and Virginia has some beautiful country, mountains on the west and tidal low lands near the coast. Best of luck to you and will definitely wait to read your story about it.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

Posted Image Good luck Marty, can't wait to see the pics from this hunt. Posted Image
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:30 PM

Good luck in VA. If you are hunting in the western portion of VA bring along your serious climbing boots. Those hills are not as high as the rockies but they be steep. Ask Huck about our PA hills. The central and eastern part of VA are pretty flat though.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

Good luck in VA. If you are hunting in the western portion of VA bring along your serious climbing boots. Those hills are not as high as the rockies but they be steep. Ask Huck about our PA hills. The central and eastern part of VA are pretty flat though.

Hally and I will be about 80 miles from Dulles airport and staying in Fredrickburg. The subspecies in this area is smaller a good buck will be like a 120 or so but possible 150 on the property. Antler size mean little to me on this hunt to be honest. I want to experience VA and it's rich history. We will see about 70-100 deer a day on this lease I have been told. All to be filmed and that will also add wrenches into the equation

Still have not decided if I am going to Kentucky the week after.

Regardless, I am happy, mostly healthy. Small fix me up on Friday morning but will be up and running in 2-3 days and VA is a sitting in the ground blind hunt.

BC

Prostaff.jpg

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

Yes Fredericksburg is in the flat country.

#7 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:38 PM

Good luck to you Marty. Posted Image a big one. Don't forget the Kodak. Posted Image

#8 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:36 PM

Nothing but the very best wishes to you Fatty, knock one down! Take plenty of photos, will ya?
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#9 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:05 PM

Good Luck Marty,
I'll be strapping on the boots for an uphill hike after whitetails this Saturday.Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

Flying out of Washington DC in about an hour, Virginia was a successful hunt on many different levels.

Got a nice mature 8 point on night number 2 and pulled TC hammer back on a really nice on but the shot just did not materialize but it was close close close. Pictures are poor as these are high pressured deer coming out after dark and back into bedding area before light. Every bit of 30 hours in the stand but would do it again.

Virginia is a very non-resident friendly state:

3 buck taqs, 3 does tags, 3 turkey tags and a bear tag $100

Will post a picture soon but Whitetails of the World for SCI are completed, on to the next slam.

Also got another new assignment that I am to be hunting/videoed on this spring, should be fun as I needed this animal as well

Thanks for the support guys

BC

Edited by bonecollector34, 16 December 2009 - 04:03 PM.

Prostaff.jpg

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:01 PM

Way to go on the VA hunt. Can't wait to see a few pics. Congratulations. I do have relatives in the Fredericksburg area but since the husband is a former president of HSUS they are not very hunter friendly. Oh well you can pick your nose and you can pick your rear but most times you can't pick your relatives.

#12 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

Here is the story with some pictures guys.

Thanks to all of you for your support

BC

http://www.huntingli...inia-whitetails

Prostaff.jpg

#13 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:29 AM

Been to the Fredricksburg area many times on business - pretty country, but crowded. Lots of civil war history in the area.

Seems odd that someone living in paradise - namely Laramie Wyoming - would travel east for adventure (LOL), but totally understand SCI and other hunting goals.

Way to put the hit on the east Marty, you are the man. By the way my baby boy wanted me to tell you he's making progress in the gym - will soon be benching 240 and squatting 300. He started lifting seriously about three months ago. He's "three-boarding" 270 now and so much stronger. He started out just trying to get stronger for varsity football next year, but is finding he really likes lifting. He did not play basketball for the first time since he was 5 years old this year because it took away from his lifting time. I was shocked.

"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#14 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

Here is the story with some pictures guys.

Thanks to all of you for your support

BC

http://www.huntingli...inia-whitetails

Your looking good young man and thanks for sharing that story and hunt - very enjoyable and congrats on completing the SCI cat. on this hunt. Posted Image Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#15 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:04 AM

Good reading Marty, CONGRATS MAN!
Hunting "pressured " whitetails is a real challenge here in the East and my hat's off to hunters who stick it out to the end.....whether successful or not. Glad ya achieved your goal Buddy!!!Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users