#1 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:54 AM

If I could figure out how to post a pic I would. But heres the story:

Well the wife and I are back from our whirlwind trip of the USA. It started with a donated bowhunting trip to Carta Valley(Del Rio), Texas. It was a great hunt the accommodations were primitive at best but we had a great time none the less. Saw lots of deer some exotics and a few hogs. Nothing ever got into range though. Next we took off for San Angelo, Texas to hunt with McCrea Ouutdoors. Also in attendance was Dave Watson from Mathews TV he has been a personal friend of mine for many years and Jeremiah Ross a blessed brother in Christ and the owner of HUNTINGRESOURCE.COM another long time friend and of course Kenny McCrea of McCrea Outdoors. This was another hunt that was donated to me. Just to clear things up I was wounded in Iraq. Any how we arrived that Sunday evening and we went straight to the blinds. Talk about some HUGE deer. Kenny had his eye on a huge 180' deer well we saw him wander into the blind that evening and I had him dead in my sites broadside at 20 yards but couldnt take the shot. The hunt is gonna be televised on the Outdoor Channel and the light wasnt good for the camera but great for me.
The next morning brought some colder temps, lots of deer but that big 8 decided not to show up till 8:50am. He offered me his side again at 20 I drew my Mathews SQ2 ya I know its an old bow, but cant really afford a new one so I had to use what I had, and let the arrow fly. That big 8 turned and ran and then we saw why. I shot the support beam on the Double Bull blind. I was sick and pretty ****** at myself. As I was wallowing in my self pity another nice deer came in a big 9 came in and I arrowed him at 22 yds. It was awesome and one of the best deer hunts of my life. I have never been on a guided hunt ever.

Kenny said a few does needed to be taken out so he gave my wife a rifle and let her take her first deer. Ill have some pics to upload as soon as I can find the cable to upload pics. It was a great time. After the hunt we headed back to San Antonio reload and refit, picked up the kids and we were off to Tennessee for a few days, then off to North Carolina for a few more. Got a nice fresh cut Frasier Fir and drug her back to Texas. What a great vacation. I just cant thank Jeremiah, Dave and Kenny enough. I am still on cloud nine here. It will be the greatest hunt I will ever go on in my entire life. It was awesome being back with Dave and Jeremiah again. The three amigos rode again. I was more excited at my wife taking her first deer than I was with my deer. Silly some may say, but I know in my heart of hearts that everything happens for a reason.

There was a reason I missed that HUGE 8. I guess there needed to be a good story line behind this hunt. Kind of like what Kenny said. I guess in a way it has sorta gone along with the ups and downs I have been thru since me getting wounded in Iraq and the trials and tribulations I have had to deal with. I hope to hunt with them again one day. This was truly a blessing and it really helped my mental and spiritual well being. I know I am leaving so much out but as I remember Ill post more. Jer thank you so much for this, I love you man! Dave thanks for the comic relief, and Kenny thanks for the laughs the op and the knowledge you have passed along and I am sorry for shooting your Double Bull blind. Micky that boy of yours is hoot. My goodness the food, the fellowship, the FRIENDSHIPs created and friendships rekindled were totally worth this WHOLE trip and worth the whole ordeal I have been going thru. I am still just beaming with a smile that will last for miles. I am having Brandi get my pics up and I will email pics to those whom I need to send. I know I am leaving sooooooo much out. But after an experience like this its hard to tell the whole story in one sitting.

Jeremiah feel free to rip some pics from my facebook if ya want I have a ton of pics from our hunt on there.
Only the dead know the end of war.- Plato

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

Congratulation again Andrew!! From the way things read everyone was having a great time and that's what's all about. Hunting never is predictable even on a guided hunt. I'm looking forward to watching it on the TV show.

Picture posting is really very easy. Jeremiah has this great gallery here where up loading your picture(s) to your "My Gallery" section. Then you have a link to that picture listed there next to it can be copy and pasted, so it can be posted in the post. Look under the gallery listed above and next to your name there is a drop down list to "My Gallery".
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

The Rage Broadhead is AWESOME. My old Mathews SQ2 still drives em home.
Posted Image

Edited by steelrain202, 02 December 2009 - 08:41 AM.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

That's a great photo. Thanks for posting it. Did you shot the two blade or three blade Rage? I have them in my quiver but never seem to have the proper time or place to launch one.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:25 PM

That's a great photo. Thanks for posting it. Did you shot the two blade or three blade Rage? I have them in my quiver but never seem to have the proper time or place to launch one.

I shot the 2 blade and as advertised it does leave a gaping wound channel and lots of blood. The deer didnt travel more than 30 yards on a double lung hit. They are pretty awesome. Kennys daughter Kenna shot a huge 13 with one I loaned her. They are awesome simply awesome.

#6 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:13 AM

Great buck and awesome photo, Andrew! Congrats!

#7 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

Great buck and awesome photo, Andrew! Congrats!

Why TY Sir! I really needed this one.

#8 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:34 AM

Andrew, that is an awesome story and incredible hunt - congratulations to you and your family. Thank you for your service. My 25-year career (and counting) has been dedicated to making sure our finest have what they need and that everything works. We proudly support you brother.

"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#9 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:54 AM

TY so much. I really didnt want this hunt to end. I am looking for a place here I can hunt again. Problem with Texas so much of it is privately owned.

#10 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:11 AM

TY so much. I really didnt want this hunt to end. I am looking for a place here I can hunt again. Problem with Texas so much of it is privately owned.

Case and I have hunted Texas twice. Both times we flew to SanAntonio, met Will and then drove to Hondo where we hunted private land. It's cool to be able to hunt in the off season and hone your skills, but nothing matches the rush of adrenalin of a bruiser whitetail like you were blessed to take. That's a beautiful deer brother.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#11 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

Your buck 2009 is simply very surprising and ridiculous!

Uh ok TY i think

#12 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

Congratulations

bc

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#13 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:35 PM

Congrats.

#14 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:22 PM

HEY!

Just saw your episode on Mathews TV - AWESOME! Loved it, man - what a blessing for you, your wife and Jer.

Congrats man - cool deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users