• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:42 AM

This is what I have been saying for years but everyone calls me crazy.
The reason behind this is simple most game animals like new grass or more so new regrowth not full matured grass that is rank and the other thing is they get more protien out of younger grass.
Elk will actually stay around where cattle have been grazing to get the new regrowth.

Cow grazing leases to help elk.

HELENA - The state wildlife agency is launching a six-year grazing program northeast of here, using cattle to improve forage for elk.

About 400 cattle will be put on about 450 acres of the Beartooth Wildlife Management Area this summer to control smooth brome, a grass largely unpalatable to elk. The main benefit will be from "hoof action" breaking up old brome that inhibits growth of plants that elk like, said Cory Loecker, a wildlife biologist for the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks. The brome was planted in the 1950s, years before the department's 1970 purchase of the Beartooth Wildlife Management Area, which covers 32,318 acres along the Big Belt Mountains and is open for hunting and other recreation.

At the area's Polloch Meadows, cattle from Sieben Livestock Co. will graze for five weeks this summer and five weeks in 2007. They will not be put on the land in 2008, but will return for five weeks in 2009 and again in 2010. There will be no grazing in 2011, the final year of the grazing lease approved by state wildlife commissioners this spring.
"We have grazing systems on almost all of our game ranges, just to keep the grass in good condition," Loecker said Wednesday. The Polloch Meadows project is intended to encourage three kinds of grass desirable for elk habitat.

Sieben will pay Fish, Wildlife and Parks a grazing-lease fee of $7.50 per animal-unit month, and is to supply an electric fence for controlling the cattle.

An animal-unit month is a measurement of the food required to sustain one cow and calf for a month.

Polloch Meadows was last grazed for a few years in the 1980s, Loecker said.

The Beartooth Wildlife Management Area is home to 500 elk, 100 bighorn sheep, 300 mule deer, 100 white-tailed deer and 50 antelope, plus black bear, game birds and other wildlife. Migrating animals increase those numbers periodically. Managers want the area's winter range to support an additional 1,000 elk, 200 mule deer and 100 white-tailed deer.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:18 AM

:huh: Robert why then didn't they do this years ago?
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

Eric thats the one thing I have never figured out is why.
You see the ground being grazed down to almost nothing and thinking there would be no elk in sight. Yes all animals want lush vegitation and a certain type for that time of year to put on body fat for winter.
This is the same reason animals use cut hay fields over tall rank pasture for grazing, but not to say they will not eat the taller vegitation.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users